Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by reelman
If a gun is shooting great out of the box why mess with it?

If you should ever decide to pull that rifle out of the stock, it's nice when everything goes back exactly as before.

I've seen plenty a guy scuff and bedding stocks 'so long as they shoot'. I can pull up a few examples over the years on the 'Fire. I can also show you a few of those examples where the stock broke, because it wasn't previously relieved and bedded.

If a rifle is bedded properly it ain't gonna shoot worse and it eliminates one possible variable.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
BP-B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Bugger
Depends on the stock.
Early plastic Remington 700 stocks were only good for the sling swivels and recoil pad. Otherwise it was land fill. There is no resurrection for those. Next there are stocks that are already as good as can be and glass bedding is redundant.

Others, bedding and free floating is a good thing.

Just like old ladies underwater, it depends.

Which ones?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just finger-checked the mag box on my Ruger and it's wedged, so that at least will be dealt with before test-firing. My other Hawkeye, a Predator, started shooting rounder groups after I fixed the same issue.

Nice little rifle. Gotta feeling this one's gonna stick, and spend a lot of time afield. Lot of gun for $520.

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
If it's stiff and fits properly, it may work as good as anything could. If it's super flexy, it's not going to be ideal even once bedded.

Are we still talkin' 'bout stocks? confused

Yes.

Once said something like, "firm, slim and round" in a PM to a Montanan - that was a mistake! whistle

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I might be wrong but stocks with aluminum bedding blocks would qualify. Also, I may be wrong but high end stocks are pre-bedded.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

My Brown Precision required bedding and I have 3 stocks with aluminum blocks and all 3 required bedding.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steelhead

If you should ever decide to pull that rifle out of the stock, it's nice when everything goes back exactly as before.

If a rifle is bedded properly it ain't gonna shoot worse and it eliminates one possible variable.

Both true & on the money, IMO.

Bedding is always a good thing if done right, lots don't & also don't know when it's not right either.

As for free floating, it almost always works on all but the lightest barrels, such as 700 MR contour & with those, sometimes it does, sometimes it's better with the barrel bedded.

In order to properly bed the barrel itself, however you prefer to do it, floating is always done 1st & the rifle can be shot that way to see how good it is floated.

The ones that say they'll only own a free floated barrel are a hoot.

I won't tolerate an inaccurate rifle, but I surely ain't skeered of a bedded barrel done right & have a few done as such.

MM

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Bugger
I might be wrong but stocks with aluminum bedding blocks would qualify. Also, I may be wrong but high end stocks are pre-bedded.

Aluminum bedding block stocks in general do not qualify. I've a number of these and none were perfect as manufactured.

High end stocks, McMillan for an example brand I use, may have much better fit tolerances than typical factory stocks but it's impossible to pre-bed without the particular barreled action in hand.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I've done 3 cheapo factory synth stocks (proly a 30% glass filled polyester type of material).

Dexter Hysol Epoxy Patch (aluminum filled) or JB weld.
Can use tubes in hollow to lessen epoxy amount needed. Used stainless tubes for 1st one, proly try carbon arrow shafting if I do another and want to lessen weight.

Free floated all three, bedded recoil lug on 1st one. No action bedding. Did that with Microbed on a walnut 700 way back. Worked great. Too much work (refinished stock as well).

Plastic is better for my uses.

Sporters in .243win doing half inch at 100. Good enough for me.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm all for glass bedding. Only a few off my center fire bolt actions are not glass bedded. I have two kits in my gun room for future rifles in need.

I bought a cheap stock from J&G in Prescott in 1985. Ramline, I believe. The material that stock was made out of was so slick bedding would not 'Stick'. But the stock fit the action so well it didn't need it. That stock was on clearance and I paid $5 for it. I think it was a Springfield 03, which I've sold since.

After I tried to bed a barreled action in a blank the old fashioned way in the 60's, I have been a believer! I am a very poor stock maker!

I've no experience with high dollar stocks that are supposed to be drop in. I thought I have read about them before though. My Kevlar and glass stocks are all glass bedded.

Last edited by Bugger; 06/26/16.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
Well, you can always put it through it's paces and then decide if it could stand improvement.

This. Two action screws, a piece of steel and a piece of plastic. It's not that complicated.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Ok, Talus, I'm lost. What does "Two action screws, a piece of steel and a piece of plastic" mean?

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I might know what the plastic part is.

I once had a Rem 700 .243 with a typical cheap synthetic factory stock, and to test whether bedding would help, I dropped a plastic bread wrapper tag into the recoil lug recess (thanks, MD!) before reinstalling the stock.

It tightened up my groups by half!

Last edited by czech1022; 07/27/16.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I always float my barrels and bed or partially bed the action on all my rifles.

I've had one instance, with a Remington Mtn Rifle that I had to bed back in tip pressure.

For the amount of time it takes, which is very minimal, I can't see why anyone wouldn't.

Last edited by Holston; 07/27/16.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
czech1022,

You're welcome!

I've heard from more than one shooter whose rifle shot so well after being "temporarily" free-floated with a plastic bread-bag tab that they just left it alone, never bothering to epoxy-bed the stock. :-)

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Between the two comments, I'm confused. Where exactly are you placing the plastic? Under the barrel or in the recoil lug recess?

HogWild
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Under the front of the action, behind the recoil lug.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
736 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 67 invisible), 2,960 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,763
Posts18,401,397
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.