Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 18 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 17 18
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i started hunting with a 30-06 at a early age and by 25 years of age i started to reload my own ammo. i tried many different cartridges bigger and smaller and now at 69 years of age after bench rest , FTR , winter fun shoots , 1,000 yd. bench shooting and many years hunting . yes i like my 257 Weatherby mag. cartridge for deer but if i go on another fly in hunting trip including to Africa i plan on taking the one rifle cartridge that i can find ammo for any place in the world the plain Jane 30-06 . the 30-06 is the grand old cartridge is and has been the King of all cartridges . > LONG LIVE THE 30-06 <

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by horse1
ACK!!!!!!!! 30-06 is the preferred choice of road-hunters, gut-shooters, and leg-blower-offers world-wide.

30-06 is the frumpy hairy-armpits and in desperate need of a bikini wax cousin to the sleek, sexy, impeccably groomed sweetheart supermodel 270Win. The 30-06 is like that really hot chick with a fat momma and a grandma with a beard, no good will come from it long term.

On paper the 30-06 is a fine round and pretty near anything I've ever done with a rifle could've been done well with a 30-06, but I can't do it.

Proud to say I've NEVER carried a 30-06 in the field!

Read and reread this post. Had to make sure of it, your opinion is based on zero experience in the field with the 30-06. No experience, no opinion should go together automatically. You are a hero in your own mind. Jfc where do these people come from?..mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
ACK!!!!!!!! 30-06 is the preferred choice of road-hunters, gut-shooters, and leg-blower-offers world-wide.

30-06 is the frumpy hairy-armpits and in desperate need of a bikini wax cousin to the sleek, sexy, impeccably groomed sweetheart supermodel 270Win. The 30-06 is like that really hot chick with a fat momma and a grandma with a beard, no good will come from it long term.

On paper the 30-06 is a fine round and pretty near anything I've ever done with a rifle could've been done well with a 30-06, but I can't do it.

Curious, what do you carry? What do you hunt?

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
If there are 3 identical rifles in a gun shop setting side by side, same price, and I'm in the market for a rifle, give me that 06 every time. Hard to go wrong. Bullet doesn't get there as fast as some new precision cartridge in most cases, vut when it does, I reiterate, you better have a sharp knife ready. Bullet to chest cavity on any cervid in north America, and it's over and done with.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I didn't own a centerfire rifle until I moved to Steamboat Springs, CO in the late '70s. I had killed my first elk the year before with a borrowed .30-40 Krag and wanted my own deer and elk rifle, so I asked a couple of guys that I worked with that had grown up huntint in that area what rifle I should get. They both said to get either a .270 or a .30-06. I chose a .30-06.

For about the next 10 years that .30-06 was my deer, elk, and antelope rifle, puting 8 elk into my freezer. This is the last elk that I shot with that .30-06, and it was a one shot DRT kill. None of my elk (shot with my .30-06 or anything else) were shot from a road, none were gut shot, and none had a leg blown off.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by buffybr

I didn't own a centerfire rifle until I moved to Steamboat Springs, CO in the late '70s. I had killed my first elk the year before with a borrowed .30-40 Krag and wanted my own deer and elk rifle, so I asked a couple of guys that I worked with that had grown up huntint in that area what rifle I should get. They both said to get either a .270 or a .30-06. I chose a .30-06.

For about the next 10 years that .30-06 was my deer, elk, and antelope rifle, puting 8 elk into my freezer. This is the last elk that I shot with that .30-06, and it was a one shot DRT kill. None of my elk (shot with my .30-06 or anything else) were shot from a road, none were gut shot, and none had a leg blown off.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
From '65 to '80 I hunted Hinman Park and southside of Farwell moumtain with my dad and brother and friends. Mostly 30-06, and mostly meat elk. Killed three with a 25-06, but felt it a little light for that work.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Road hunter here with a couple 30-06 kills under my belt...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That is one heck of a bull buffybr!!!

happiness is elbow deep in elk guts.
NRA life member
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by boomwack
That is one heck of a bull buffybr!!!

It sure is!

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
buffybr, that is indeed a hell of an elk!

I have killed more elk with the .30-06 than any other cartridge, and according to my hunting notes (which are better than my memory these days) the farthest any has gone after the shot before falling was 50 yards--and all except one were 1-shot kills.

That was my biggest one, both in antlers and body size. It immediately "locked up" after being shot at 250 yards--with a 180-grain factory load, not some special handload. But it was the biggest of a group of four bulls, and when the three others ran off, this one managed to stagger after them for around 20 yards before stopping, whereupon a second shot dropped him.

[Linked Image]

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by buffybr

Destroying myths one elk at a time. laugh

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
nice pictures guys that dang old 30-06 is still knocking elk and deer down who would have thought ?

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I like my 06’s. Don’t recall ever shooting from a vehicle or a road, I dunno, I guess they’d work that way?
As I’ve aged I have slimline muzzle brakes put on my heavier calibers including the 06’s, they are a pleasure to shoot and have more than enough horsepower for whatever I point them at.
Then again, I do quite often enjoy wandering hither and dale with a… .270.
Two strikes huh?
I’m a man, I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Osky

Last edited by Osky; 01/13/23.

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Osky
I’m a man, I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Osky

Best show ever!!!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft
What were his expectations? I mean they must have been unrealistically high to be flatly unimpressed.

No kidding. I was a late comer to the 06. I can’t hardly stand to not kick the tires on new stuff but the old 06 with the new Hornady 212 with new SB6.5 was mighty impressive to me.

It was hard for me to admit how darned effective it was.

I’m 45, so old age must be setting in whistle

I’ve not tried that combo but should!

I really appreciate the ‘06 and I’ve got one that is sighted & loaded with 180gr Horn IL as a ‘just in case’ rifle. It’s always sighted & the load never changes. (just in case is if I’ve been too lazy to have worked up a load for a specific hunt lol)

I’ve got 5 years on ya and still hitting it hard - but as the old cliche says it’s not the years it’s the miles…😜

That’s what I’ve done. Keep the old rifle zeroed at 250 with the 212’s and I’ve got a box of 50 loaded. At my rate they might get passed to a grandchild before I use them all up whistle

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Great bulls as well fellas.

Those are some excellent road hunted bulls Brad! You must have a helluva good truck! whistle

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Those are some excellent road hunted bulls Brad! You must have a helluva good truck! whistle

I’d like to borrow Brads truck so’s it’ll take me to a dandy bull. I’ll furnish my own 30-06.. 😃

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by gunnut308

I’d like to borrow Brads truck so’s it’ll take me to a dandy bull. I’ll furnish my own 30-06.. 😃

No kidding!

Semper Fi
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob

Read and reread this post. Had to make sure of it, your opinion is based on zero experience in the field with the 30-06. No experience, no opinion should go together automatically. You are a hero in your own mind. Jfc where do these people come from?..mb

Originally Posted by Hastings

Curious, what do you carry? What do you hunt?

Ooofff, we've got some serious lack of being able to pick up a what should be some mighty obvious sarcasm.

For the most part, I shoot one of a couple M70 SS Classics in 300Win Mag for elk and the one Canadian moose I've taken. I mostly use one of several 270Win's for everything smaller. I've also taken elk with a 257Wby and a couple with the 270Win. Because someone asked, I've taken 13 elk on 17 trips, unguided, public or private with no $$ permission. 1 moose, 2 caribou, half-dozen Mule-Deer, a couple pronghorn, 50-some whitetail bucks and a whole bunch of WT does.

The 300 is a relic of my pre-LRF experience when I was just certain down to my toenails I needed a belted magnum for everything bigger than a coyote. I know I no longer "need" a 300Win for elk. But, the rifle is accurate and more importantly, I can shoot the rifle well both off the bench and from field positions, so, the 300 is going to be my elk-rifle for the foreseeable future.

The whole picking on the 30-06 thing is really just because I grew up in the '80's shooting a 270Win. Now I chose the 270Win not because of some perceived mythical characteristics or demonstrable "on-paper" differences that show a few fractions of an inch difference in trajectory or wind drift at several hundred yards. I shoot a .270 because my dad shot a .270 and if I shot what dad shot while I was in jr-high and high-school, ammo was free, just had to stuff the components together.

So, settle down guys and re-read the hairy armpits and bearded grandma stuff and just grin, maybe chuckle a bit, as that's all it was intended to do, give folks a laugh.

Last edited by horse1; 01/14/23.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Page 12 of 18 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (1234, 12344mag, 163bc, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 62 invisible), 2,151 guests, and 1,114 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,729
Posts18,457,475
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.