Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
This his been posted in the military section on other gun sites, so excuse me if you've read it before.

Its a funny story my Dad told me after I'd asked him if he had a humorous story about his time in the Pacific, when he served as the top sergeant in charge of his Army bomber squadron's armorer section....the guys that fused the bombs, loaded them and kept the machine guns ready and loaded. His squadron had the A-20 havoc bomber as their main plane for their time in the Pacific was from early 43 till the end of the WWII.

So, Dad's answer for a funny story was:

"Son, one of the first things we learned was to never be anywhere near our planes or a building when the Japs bombed or strafed our air field." Japs always went for them." Also, one of the first things we did on a new air field, after getting the runway and our planes operational, was build someplace to take a shower for our men.

So, we are on a new island, new airfield and we'd just finished the new shower building and I decided to take my first shower in a couple of weeks. I'd just stripped and stepped into the shower when I heard the first bomb hit our airfield. Japs had evaded our warning system and air cover over our field and caught us completely by surprise."

"I took off at a dead run, not bothering to grab a towel or anything to wear and headed for the nearest bomb shelter", a trench nearest the shower. "Once there I dove head first into the trench. I landed on three army WACS and a full colonel that were already in the trench." In case you don't know, a WAC stands for Woman's Army Corp. The colonel was a guy. OK, so Dad is butt naked with the girls, who giggled at his predicament and the colonel is mad about him being out of uniform. Their plane had landed to refuel and they'd gotten off to find something to eat when the Japs attacked. I commented yea, that's funny and asked what did you do when in the trench." Well, I tried to cover my private parts and have a nice conversation with the WACS."

"When the all clear siren went off, I was the first to leave the trench and I tried to calmly walk back to the shower, like nothing had happened. But, the guys in my squadron in our area had a good laugh, when the three WACS came out of the trench after me."

GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Thats a good one.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 16penny, 160user, 53 invisible), 2,323 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,616
Posts18,454,956
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.