Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Smith needs to come out with their Mountain Gun in 9 or maybe even 380.

Perhaps a J-frame Mountain Gun....😀

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Smith needs to come out with their Mountain Gun in 9 or maybe even 380.

Tar-Ass beat them to it wink

[Linked Image]

http://www.taurususa.com/product-details.cfm?id=856&category=Revolver

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The 9 you carry vs the cannon you don't.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 4ager
The 9 you carry vs the cannon you don't.

The 9 you carry vs the deer rifle you don't.

The 9 you carry vs the duck gun you don't.

The 9 you carry vs the Elefunt gun you don't.

I tell ya, the Nine can do anything!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
great write up on the 9mm for grizzlies.

http://buffalobore.net/Trail&CampGuns.pdf

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Would a Luger be okay?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As you pick a handgun for grizz attack defense remember that scene in The Revenant.
When Leonardo DiCaprio gets his ass kicked by the mad mother grizzly. shocked

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by bea175
Almost as good as the 9mm

[Linked Image]

My 500 S&W
Mine was bigger.

You'll be too fatigued from carrying it to be able to use it. wink

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Would a Luger be okay?
Not sure if the nazi twist is safe with hard cast.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Much as I like my .500 S&W for some purposes (not really sure what), for any kind of close up DLP use I would prefer my Glock 20 or (S&W 627 if we're talking revolver). If we're talking 9mm, I'd have to go with the only 9 X 19 I own, a Beretta 92.

Mathew 22: 37-39

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd for sure take my Kahr CW9. No griz would live for long when faced with 8 rounds of 9mm whoop ass.

A .380 may also be an option.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The best handgun is the one that YOU are familiar, comfortable, confident and competent with and will liekly be carrying when you need it .

A 9mm Glock 43 in your pocket will always trump the 475 Linebaugh you left at home.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I know from your event that the Buffalo Bore 9mm Outdoorsman penetrates big critters, so it is best for me to carry that in a Glock 19 platform that is putting about 7500 rounds downrange each year in practice, training and competition than it is to carry an infrequently used gun in an infrequently used large bore caliber in infrequently used support gear. In addition, the critters around here are not as big as the critters where you hang, so I feel like I have a bigger margin of error than you. (I still like the BB 255 grain +P .45 ACP Outdoorsman round, but the gun is not getting used much anymore, so it probably will be left home during archery season.)

The 9mm is not legal here for hunting big game, BTW, so it is strictly for self defense.

Last edited by Cheyenne; 08/17/16.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 458Win
The best handgun is the one that YOU are familiar, comfortable, confident and competent with and will liekly be carrying when you need it .

A 9mm Glock 43 in your pocket will always trump the 475 Linebaugh you left at home.

Phil you are well regarded by good friends of mine, so please don't take this wrong. I am asking from the perspective of a guy who made a short notice trip to Alaska in the spring several years ago with nothing but a 2 1/4" SP-101 (Loaded with Alaska Backpacker 200 grain LBT) and a 1911 loaded with hardball.

By what rationale do you leave a 475 at home and carry a 9mm while hiking in known grizzly country? If I'd have had time to arrange for a heavy-hitter, there's no way in hell I'd have left it. I had my wife and very pregnant daughter along and carried a slug-loaded 870 on those occasions.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sarge, My family homestead is right in the middle of a National Wildlife Refuge and the incident happened a bit over 5 miles from our home. We know the area, terrain and wildlife and don't feel the need to constantly be armed -- And when we are out the terrain is difficult and carrying something as large as a 475 quickly becomes a burden. something like your SP-101 is alot more likely to be packed.

As I have pointed out to numerous folks about this incident -- if I had known I would have run into an angry bear I wouldn't have even gone. And if I had to I would have taken my 458.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thank you Phil. You kept your head and shot well when everything was going to hell around you; I commend you for that.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Longhunter_1
This is my hunting cabin in the western end of Michigan's U P. I've got an arrow in my hand and my gun holster is empty...not very well prepared for the big blackie that had been chewing on my cabin. I'm 6' 1"

[Linked Image]

I'll be up that way in a few weeks for Bear season. I drew the Amasa first season tag.

Hopefully there will be one less bear to gnaw on someone's cabin ......

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The JUDGE loaded with buckshot slugs and birdshot in case I run into a ruffed grouse, deer, or bear

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

416 members (10gaugemag, 260Remguy, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 257_X_50, 37 invisible), 2,514 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,411
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.