Hop To
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Well, I did it.

I rented a PT&G .22 K Hornet reamer, go/no-go gauges and a "T" handle, spent two hours converting two .22 Hornets to K Hornet. I had never done that before, appreciate the help from Fire contributors. I got a small can of Tap Magic as suggested, took my time, measuring often.

One Hornet is a T/C Contender 14" pistol and I did it first. The other is a CZ 527. It was a bit harder, I had to grind the set screws on the "T" handle to fit in the small action.

I was able to get the chambers close enough that fired cases from one will chamber in the other. I got Redding K Hornet dies on Ebay at a decent price. I'm pleased how these projects came together.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

BP-B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Good going DF, have you had time to fire either? if so, was the accuracy improved, or did it remain the same?

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Nice, you need to get some 45 gr TSX's and a jug of lil-gun, you/me can join the Poohbah stunt shooters association this fall. laugh

Trump Won!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Don't think I'll ever be in the same stunt shooting class with you guys.

That's a hard act to follow. 😎

DF

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I'm not in it either DF, Poobs says I need to buy a smaller rifle. grin

Trump Won!
IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Just fired one round each to test.

Haven't had time to go to the range. Even then, I'll have to shoot my Hornet loads to form K Hornet brass, load them and get back to the range.

With my other projects, new Creedmoor, new 7-08, etc. that could take a while. But I will report.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by gunner500

The Poobs is one of a kind, never to be duplicated...

On the other hand, that may not be all bad... 😎

DF

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF

That reads like an order. grin

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E

DF
Yup,like a snowflake.

That CZ is one sweet rifle DF.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Dirtfarmer,

I'm betting that CZ shoots VERY well. I had a 527 in K-Hornet for a while, and it was a literal tack-driver at 100 yards, 5-shot groups with its best loads averaging under 1/2".

However, I did encounter one problem: The magazine (like most magazines for .22 Hornets) was too short to use plastic-tipped 40-grain bullets. They're the best ballistic compromise in the .22 Hornet, shooting noticeably flatter and drifting less in the wind than any other type or weight of bullet.

I could use 40-grain soft- or hollow-points in the CZ, but their BC was enough lower than the plastic-tipped 40's that 40-grain Ballistic Tips from my Ruger No. 1 .22 Hornet shot noticeably flatter and drifted less in the wind than any load in the CZ K-Hornet at any range past about 125-150 yards, despite the extra velocity. I suspect this is why Hornady's version of the old wildcat .17 Hornet is actually a little shorter than the original, the K-Hornet necked down. And of course, the plastic-tips "splode" varmints more consistently than soft or hollow-points. (Splode is a West Virginia term. Or at least that's where I've heard it most often.)

A couple of years ago I ended up with a Brno ZKW 465, the predecessor of the CZ 527, which had been rechambered to K-Hornet. The magazine is just enough longer that 40-grain plastic-tips can be used, though the Tipped Varmageddon fits easiest. At 3200+ fps, it definitely provides a little more field performance than my Ruger No 1, which gets 3000 fps or a little more with 40's from its 26" barrel.

Another thing discovered while fooling with the Brno K-Hornet is Alliant 300-MP is just enough slower than Li'l Gun to provide a little extra zip in the K-Hornet, though the difference ain't much.

All of this, of course, is typical rifle loony minutiae. Will be very interested to hear how your K-Hornets shoot.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Thanks for that info, John.

I already fixed the mag to accommodate longer rounds. I removed the plastic spacer, cut around .1" off the back side, reinstalled it, drilling new holes for the two pins that anchor that part in the mag body.

I JB Welded a spacer to the follower to make it work. After consultations with James Calhoon, I narrowed the mag spring, as it was too strong. I got one of James' single shot adapters and use that at the range, saving the mag for hunting.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

DF
Yup,like a snowflake.

That CZ is one sweet rifle DF.

Subtle, but I caught it...

You highlighted "flake"... shocked

laugh

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I'll have to add one humerous note.

After K chambering the Contender, I walked out of my shop and shot a round into the ground to see what the fired case was going to look like.

I forgot how hot those Hornets are. With all our rain, that bullet blew mud all over my shirt and face, I had to go clean up... blush

DF

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Yup. grin

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
DF,

Good deal! I owned my 527 K-Hornet long before ever meeting Calhoon. He knows a lot about 527's!

Dunno why the Hornet magazine was longer on the Brno, but it was. In fact it's the longest .22 Hornet magazine I've ever measured. It's not that much longer than the 527's, just enough to do the trick.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Yeah, it's only around .10" or so that makes all the difference.

I guess the bureaucrats got ahead of the engineer/Loony types with that decision.

And, it makes no sense.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 08/20/16.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Apparently .22 Hornet magazine length was engraved in stone back when the cartridge was factory-introduced by Winchester, with round-nosed bullets only.

I kinda like single-shot Hornets. Loaded just shy of the lands, 40-grain Ballistic Tip loads for my Ruger No. 1 are over 1.9" long! In fact, the bullets are kinda hanging on by their toenails. The No. 3 Hornet I had for a while took the same loads, and also shot them extremely well.

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
They must have engraved that same stone with factory 1-14 twists in many of the various .224's....

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep!

John Steinbeck
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I just finished up a K-Hornet job on a Remington/Zastava rifle. Pressed in barrel that I didn't want to tackle and very small diameter bolt body. I sent my reamer back to PTG and had them reduce the shank to .250". I then made a small diameter tee handle to reach through the action. Probably won't be the last small diameter bolt on a Hornet I run into.
By the way, great customer service from PTG. $30 to modify the reamer.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
523 members (160user, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 52 invisible), 2,268 guests, and 1,039 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,179
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.