Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Matt,

I still have 6.5 Creedmoor Hornady brass from my first rifle. The brass was purchased in 2010 and fired a bunch, and the primer pockets are still tight. However, I only used published data, though not just from Hornady but others, especially Ramshot.

This new batch of Hornady brass is a little lighter than the old brass, but not much. The new brass, however, is slightly more consistent than the old. Will have to see if the primer pockets hold up as well.

I have not found the AMP settings always perfect, and as the directions state they're not based on brass hardness but neck thickness.

As for the brass with small-rifle pockets, I guess it's the end of civilization as we know it....:-)

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
BP-B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
[Linked Image]

In the meantime I'll just keep using inferior brass....

Not a "Hunting" bullet they say. Have you shot large critters with it? What twist are you shooting please?

Would like to try these in my 6 Creed but I have an 8 twist and I'll be tempted to ventilate a mammal with it....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Re: bushed pins, I run a OEM 700 6.5 Lapua, no issues. Action is a late production SS if that matters.

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by kududude

I was in a Quebec caribou camp with Layne Simpson several years ago and he was STILL seriously pissed about a misfire on a truly wonderful whitetail the year before.

If I remember correctly, somebody (maybe Remington or Norma) made .308 brass with a small primer pocket and he was getting stellar accuracy with the brass.

THEN, he was hunting whitetail deer one very cold morning and he experienced the worst thing possible for a handloader ... a total misfire ... CLICK!!!

And, of course, the buck ran away, never again to be seen by human eyes.

At a later date, Layne froze some ammo and experienced the same thing at the rifle range. Something about small primers, relatively large cases, freezing temps and dammit misfires.

Frankly, Layne is a very decent handloader, truly an astute hunter and I suspect he was onto something.

Because of this, I would not personally trust a small primer to ignite a 6.5 Creed in a hunting load ... period.

Just my thoughts and thoughts not requested by a living soul.

kd

Id expect a pop n fizz....not a CLICK.

CLICKS only happen when the primer isnt whacked with enough force, the primer is defective or contaminated.

A CLICK is an entirely different ignition problem than a hangfire/pop n fut or wide velocity variation across a chronograph.

Maybe click isnt what happened, but thats what youve stated.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Nate,

I know both kududude and Layne. Believe me, neither could hear the primer pffht, but they might be able to hear the click of the firing pin falling...:-)

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
Gotcha. That makes more clear sense, being some have been subjected to a lot of noise over the years.

Ive heard ignition issues and Ive heard a primer duds.

BIG diff!

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, that doesn't help--but both kududude and Layne are old enough that hearing protection wasn't considered "manly" when they first started shooting. In fact, it only started becoming acceptable after I got out of high school--which was lucky, because that's when I really started shooting a LOT. Consequently I retained most of my hearing. Many shooters even a few years older than I am were half-deaf by 30.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Don't overlook the guys that have never taken the firing pin assemblies out of their bolts either.....

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
So thats how you can hear those PDs sneaking across No Man's Land....

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by nifty-two-fifty
Prime ammo is a good deal. They sell direct, online. Excellent Norma brass and good service. They even called me on the phone a week or so after the order to see how I liked their ammo.

http://www.primeammo.com/6-5mm-creedmoor-hpbt-130gr.html,

The link shows temporarily out-of-stock but I bet they are getting more soon. They are dedicated to growing their company.

I have been hearing so many good things about Prime ammo I decided to place an order for some 6.5 CM 130 grain match ammo. Placed my order a few minutes ago and within 15 minutes, I received a call from the CEO, thanking me for my order. We talked on the phone for 10 minutes or so and I was very impressed that he would take time from his schedule to call me.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

I was in a Quebec caribou camp with Layne Simpson several years ago and he was STILL seriously pissed about a misfire on a truly wonderful whitetail the year before.

If I remember correctly, somebody (maybe Remington or Norma) made .308 brass with a small primer pocket and he was getting stellar accuracy with the brass.

THEN, he was hunting whitetail deer one very cold morning and he experienced the worst thing possible for a handloader ... a total misfire ... CLICK!!!

At a later date, Layne froze some ammo and experienced the same thing at the rifle range. Something about small primers, relatively large cases, freezing temps and dammit misfires.

Frankly, Layne is a very decent handloader, truly an astute hunter and I suspect he was onto something.

Because of this, I would not personally trust a small primer to ignite a 6.5 Creed in a hunting load ... period.

kd

Interesting Would love to know more specifics on this scenario. Powder used and what primer interest me most.

Expect I will be trying this Lapua 6.5 Creedmoor brass combined with H4350 & CCI 450 primers before long. I will look into testing frozen ammo as well to satisfy curiosity if nothing else.

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Had an unforgettable experience roughly 20 years ago on a very cold November morning with a 30-06 H4350 load that still bothers me to this day.

I have not hunted with a 30-06 since. Little if anything to do with that unfortunate experience. I have never hunted in weather as cold as that day since either.

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have no concerns about a small primer in a 47 L, temps get cold in Finland wink Alan - GSSP has done alot of shooting w/o issue in the cold.

I don't see the CM as being substantially greater in capacity to be an issue with SRP, but I think the SRP by Lapua on CM brass is more a perception/marketing strategy. Controlled tests might prove me wrong and a benefit in accuracy. Time will tell.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by nifty-two-fifty
Prime ammo is a good deal. They sell direct, online. Excellent Norma brass and good service. They even called me on the phone a week or so after the order to see how I liked their ammo.

http://www.primeammo.com/6-5mm-creedmoor-hpbt-130gr.html,

The link shows temporarily out-of-stock but I bet they are getting more soon. They are dedicated to growing their company.

I had the same experience. The President of the company called and we talked for a while. I was most impressed.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
In a write-up of his 6XC cartridge on David Tubbs' website, Tubbs says:
“A detailed study of large and small rifle primers showed that large rifle primers worked best when the propellant charge exceeds 35 grains as is the case with the 6XC.” Which is why he apparently never consider SR primers for his cartridge, which has slightly less capacity than the 6.5 (or 6mm) Creedmoor.

I haven't run that study down (though must admit have been too busy to try very hard), but I tend to give serious consideration to whatever Tubbs says about rifle accuracy.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by greydog

Generally speaking, I like Lapua bras... GD

I like Lapua bras too, especially in DD. wink laugh

Just couldn't help myself greydog, sorry.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Yeah, that doesn't help--but both kududude and Layne are old enough that hearing protection wasn't considered "manly" when they first started shooting. In fact, it only started becoming acceptable after I got out of high school--which was lucky, because that's when I really started shooting a LOT. Consequently I retained most of my hearing. Many shooters even a few years older than I am were half-deaf by 30.

Huh?

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Dang. Huntz is going blind frown

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

kd

I'm often wrong, but I don't see how the size of the primer would make a difference here. If the primer fired (not a click) but didn't ignite the powder, sure, I could blame the primer...but when it didn't pop at all?

I do know that many lubricants can become very viscous at low temperatures and could retard the firing pin's fall enough to cause a failure to fire. I know of just such a circumstance that happened last year-- some lube or combination of lubes inside of the bolt congealed in the freezing temps and the rifle went "click" instead of "bang". In the heat of the day, the rifle worked fine. The hunter and guide flushed the bolt with gasoline and successfully completed the hunt. Upon the hunter's return, he was able to replicate the malfunction in the freezer using the lubricant in-question.

I haven't tried the Lapua 6.5 CM brass as yet but will soon. I have never experienced ignition issues with any 6.5x47 but I've not used them in extreme cold.

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Haven't been around much lately and see I've missed a interesting thread. Glad it got brought back to the top.
Just some thoughts off the top of my head.

Can't see the Lapua brass/small primers pockets causing any issues using published data or a chronograph in load build up.
If your a magic load builder that can always improve by 100,200, even 300 fps. compared to published data well you are on your own just like always.
At least we have cheap chronographs availble to let you knw where you are rather than trying to read fired cases......not that they can't tell us many things.

I built a Creedmoor back when it first came out and a bunch of the first available brass.
I pushed velocities a bit and did get noticeably loose primer pockets in one or two firings.
I was using a powder,Superformance, data wasn't then published for and a chronograph.
Would of been nice if the primer pockets stayed tight but what can I complain about.
The brass was consistent and I did psh things.

As for a small rifle primer in a case of the Creed's capacity I would never consider it in a hunting situation.
I never had a non fire but have experienced delayed fires using standard primers in cases like the 284 and 270 in very cold temps. Magnum primers never did so.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
314 members (257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 30 invisible), 1,993 guests, and 919 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,953
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.