Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I asked this question in the Rural Living forum but it's fairly quiet and zero replies.

Does anyone know about John Deere tractors made in Germany?

Basically, how do they compare with Iowa made JD's?

Tractor in question is a 6140M.

Thanks for any input.

BP-B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
We havent seen alot problems with them. Alot of the hay growers are using them.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
My uncle has a 5325 at his place...can't recall if those are made in Germany or the India plant? Either way, it has been a VERY solid little machine.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I tried doing a little research on-line and didn't find much of anything.

People did say to stay away from the D series which is made in Mexico.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I used to work at a JD dealership. My advise would be to see if service is available and parts availability (any differences?) along with warranty info. JD is known for having all that wrapped up tight. News to me about German made ones. Not sure the advantage to having a German built one though. The cost of shipping it over here when they are built here too seems like an unnecessary extra expense to me.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I see quite a few of them around here. Nothing too scary to report but I highly suggest bringing the S/N to a dealer for a parts and service check.

If I recall (been a few years) some of the hard parts like transmission housings and such were a bit hard to cross but all the parts were available with a good parts man.

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks guys.

There are bunch of 6140M's for sale on the internet so it must be a fairly common tractor but unlike the (older)Iowa tractor it's hard to get an idea how 'good' they are.

You know the 40 and 70 series tractors are fine but something foreign made has us slightly concerned. Imagine it's all metric which is no big deal.

We'd like to trade into a low hour 4255, 7410, 7320, etc. but they are hard to find in our neck of the woods.

And we'll only buy local so that rules out all the internet finds.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I've got a 2155 made in West Germany, a great small tractor that has performed for 28 years. I know it doesn't answer your question...

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by SamOlson
I asked this question in the Rural Living forum but it's fairly quiet and zero replies.

Does anyone know about John Deere tractors made in Germany?

Basically, how do they compare with Iowa made JD's?

Tractor in question is a 6140M.

Thanks for any input.
Yes, 6140M is assembled in Germany. Parts and service is available at your local dealership. Parts are available machined down or stock order (no freight charge stock ordering parts)

Last edited by 700xcr; 09/08/16.

Nothing like a Remington 700xcr.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Sam,

I know nothing about the German JD's, but I recently bought one made in India(?). Just heard that recently.

In our locale, there are some crazy deals. The local JD dealership leased several hundred of these out to farmers last year. Guys sucked them up fast and they were leased up before many even heard about the deal. The lease terms were one year, up too 300 hours use, for a total lease payment of $300. That's not a misprint.

The tractors were new and were listed at $21,000ish before the lease deal. Once they came back off lease last month, they were available for purchase at $13,000 through the dealership. I jumped on one a friend had. The tractor had 16 hours and had been kept inside all year. He'd used it to haul tobacco on trailers to the barn.

It may not be much as a true "farm" tractor, but I like it for my needs. It's my new bush hogging driveway grading food plot fun machine!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm not really good at this, but wouldn't that be Johannes Hirsch?

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks guys.

There are bunch of 6140M's for sale on the internet so it must be a fairly common tractor but unlike the (older)Iowa tractor it's hard to get an idea how 'good' they are.

You know the 40 and 70 series tractors are fine but something foreign made has us slightly concerned. Imagine it's all metric which is no big deal.

We'd like to trade into a low hour 4255, 7410, 7320, etc. but they are hard to find in our neck of the woods.

I work with an online auction company and it's a buyers market right now. If you're seriously looking for a late model tractor there are some real steals out there and it looks to be getting worse.

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by White_Bear
Thanks guys.

I work with an online auction company and it's a buyers market right now. If you're seriously looking for a late model tractor there are some real steals out there and it looks to be getting worse.
Hell, it oughta be. They've been seriously overpriced for years. On the used ones it makes one wonder where they all go since there are less real farmers every year. Of course some of the guys around here seem to have a tractor for every implement they've got and you'll see these old bastards at sales sayin', "that's just going too cheap" right before they start bidding on their fifteenth tractor.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Thanks guys.

The prices are all over the place. I don't know what you've got to trade, but I'd consider buying one outright and having it shipped. You might save enough to justify just keeping the old iron. When you've got a $20k, price variance...that's a lot.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
When I was stationed in Germany I remember riding by a HUGE John Deere factory

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I SELL THESE TRACTORS FOR A LIVING AND I CAN'T SAY ENOUGH GOOD ABOUT THEM.THE M AND R SERIES ARE BOTH MADE IN GERMANY AND IF THERE IS A BETTER TRACTOR I HAVE NOT SEEN IT.GOOD POWER,WEIGHT,SERVICE AVAILABILITY ETC.OF COURSE SOMEONE WILL SAY OVER PRICED OR SHOULD BUY ANOTHER COLOR SO ON AND SO ON BUT THEY ARE OUTSTANDING.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I won't hesitate to buy one as long as your local dealer can support it with parts and repairs. You might ask your question at tractorbynet.com. Lots of knowledgeable tractor people over there.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
theres a number of JD models been built in Germany , most all good machines from what I gather

if you find one you want , run a search on agtalk machinery board.....chances are the subject's been beat to death

not looking for anything but Deere ? my loader tractor is a 8560 NH....has been one helluva workhorse , and the easiest starting diesel in cold weather Ive ever seen

if it were me , I would avoid anything new enough to have installed emissions equipment on the motor....a DPF is not gonna like chore work and those cold Mont winter days

Last edited by sdgunslinger; 09/08/16.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
Sam,

In our locale, there are some crazy deals. The local JD dealership leased several hundred of these out to farmers last year. Guys sucked them up fast and they were leased up before many even heard about the deal. The lease terms were one year, up too 300 hours use, for a total lease payment of $300. That's not a misprint.

That is incredible! For some perspective, I can't rent a piece of equipment for one day with 8 hours run time for much less than that. $300 for a year? Really?

LOL
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
465 members (1Longbow, 160user, 300jimmy, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 257 mag, 46 invisible), 2,092 guests, and 981 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,595
Posts18,398,143
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.