Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
I'm in my late 40's and have worked construction most of my life. I'm getting too old to do this type work.My wife makes good money and I could sort of semi retire if I could find something to make some money.

I would like to learn how to do simple jobs like a good professional pillar bedding job, trigger work etc. Mostly though I would like to know how to build a hunting rifle.

I am a very meticulous person with a good work ethic. I like tinkering with guns but have never learned to build one. I also have money for some equipment and such.

Just wondering where to start looking into this as a possibility.

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Before I committed to a full time program I would check out one of the NRA's summer gunsmithing programs, they're conducted at several gunsmithing schools around the country. You can explore the topics that you're interested in and may be able to learn enough to accomplish your goals. I was in my mid 20's when I started the gunsmithing degree program at Trinidad State Junior College in Trinidad, CO, After graduation I sent to work in the gunsmithing department of Browning Arms Co. in St. Louis, after four years there during which I earned Journeyman Gunsmith status I opened my own gun shop. Now retired I do small jobs for friends, cleaning, scope mounting etc., my advise would be to keep your day job and get started slowly, the NRA classes are taught by nationally recognized gunsmithing experts and are an excellent value for the small amount of time and money expended.

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Thanks for the reply.I didn't plan on quitting and trying to do anything full time anytime soon. I just need some ideas for down the road. Gunsmithing was an idea I wanted to explore.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
as an outsider looking in, looks like there'd be a huge demand for folks who could work on the multitude of handguns of various persuasions that are being sold. somebody has got to keep those things maintained, seems like.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I you know how to work a lathe (even if you don't) Gordy Gritters has 2 or 3 week long courses on accurizing, chambering, and building rifles. I took them, and can do most of what you mention.

http://www.gordysgunsmithshop.com/classesschools.html

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
deleted

Last edited by Cabriolet; 09/13/16.

Survivor of the 13th Original Colony, I escaped on December 17, 1968.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I took the NRA classes and am well pleased with them. I had hot blueing at Trinidad State College and machine shop, barreling, S&W revolvers and 1911 pistols at Lassen College in Susanville, CA. Don't quit your day job. Good luck with your new career! Mel

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Go to your local technical school and learn how to use a lathe. You will be miles ahead when and if you decide on a school. Building a rifle is basically facing, boring, and threading. You will learn that in your first class. You will also learn whether or not you have the patience for "percision" work. Few people have it...and of those who do, many find that they cannot maintain the drive for it.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy
Go to your local technical school and learn how to use a lathe. You will be miles ahead when and if you decide on a school. Building a rifle is basically facing, boring, and threading. You will learn that in your first class. You will also learn whether or not you have the patience for "percision" work. Few people have it...and of those who do, many find that they cannot maintain the drive for it.

The right answer.

A lathe? Hmm. What ya talking bout?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

A lot of community colleges have machine tool technology (MTT) classes.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Something I've realized in all the years I've seen this question asked on various hunting websites is that the most important piece of information is almost never mentioned.

Learn how to run a small business profitably! The reason many gunsmith business's fail, and especially part time ones is the smith never learns how to run a business. It doesn't matter if you're a wizz on a lathe and mill if can't handle $. And there are plenty of metal butchers that seem to do fine, but don't be that guy.

The very basics are, don't spend money you haven't earned (you haven't earned a deposit until you've performed that work or ordered the parts the deposit was for. Don't promise something you can't deliver and don't fail to deliver what you've promised. Keep track of overhead. Don't be afraid to charge the going rate for gunsmith work. Communicate in a timely and effective manner. When a gun is a month over due and the customer finally gets you on the phone and you say it will be another week is not effective communication.

If you can't finish a job because parts are back ordered or you are back logged, that's fine. Just let the customer know before you've failed to finish the job when you committed to finishing it, not after.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Something I've realized in all the years I've seen this question asked on various hunting websites is that the most important piece of information is almost never mentioned.

Learn how to run a small business profitably! The reason many gunsmith business's fail, and especially part time ones is the smith never learns how to run a business. It doesn't matter if you're a wizz on a lathe and mill if can't handle $. And there are plenty of metal butchers that seem to do fine, but don't be that guy.

The very basics are, don't spend money you haven't earned (you haven't earned a deposit until you've performed that work or ordered the parts the deposit was for. Don't promise something you can't deliver and don't fail to deliver what you've promised. Keep track of overhead. Don't be afraid to charge the going rate for gunsmith work. Communicate in a timely and effective manner. When a gun is a month over due and the customer finally gets you on the phone and you say it will be another week is not effective communication.

If you can't finish a job because parts are back ordered or you are back logged, that's fine. Just let the customer know before you've failed to finish the job when you committed to finishing it, not after.

Another correct answer.

And with today's new "laws, rules and licensing" requirements you better be up to speed on everything applying to gun work, including the new requirement for a manufacturing license. The cost for licensing is rapidly causing the old school part time back yard gunsmith to go out of business. I do not see a bright future for a young budding gunsmith.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Two good responses...

Go to your local technical school and learn how to use a lathe. You will be miles ahead when and if you decide on a school. Building a rifle is basically facing, boring, and threading. You will learn that in your first class. You will also learn whether or not you have the patience for "precision" work. Few people have it...and of those who do, many find that they cannot maintain the drive for it.

Had a friend with 30 years of mechanical and machine shop experience in a number of fields. Went to interview with a nationally know BR rifle builder. Walked away. Said the level of precision required was "insane".

Originally Posted by 458 Lott
... Learn how to run a small business profitably! ...

This ^^^^^^ ... Sounds easy, but, it ain't ... Keep in mind that running a "profitable hobby" is totally different than running a "business that generates sufficient cash flow and profit to pay the bills"...

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Orion2000

Had a friend with 30 years of mechanical and machine shop experience in a number of fields. Went to interview with a nationally know BR rifle builder. Walked away. Said the level of precision required was "insane".

I always thought I was a little crazy:

Last edited by Cabriolet; 09/27/16.

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Cabriolet
Originally Posted by Orion2000

I always thought I was a little crazy:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That's a nice shop. How much investment would you think you have there?

I will try to email you tomorrow. I had trouble with my password and couldn't get on it last week.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
"That's a nice shop. How much investment would you think you have there?"

There is a lot more but I have been buying stuff since about 1965.

Now I am thinking about how to divest it all.

Getting old is the pits!

Guess I am crazy, likely more than a little.

Last edited by Cabriolet; 09/27/16.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Unless you're an expert scrounger, I'd say budgeting $20-25k for a lathe, mill, tooling and metrology will get you started but will be far from everything you'll need. And that's Asian machine tools and limited tooling.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
"Unless you're an expert scrounger, I'd say budgeting $20-25k for a lathe, mill, tooling and metrology will get you started but will be far from everything you'll need. And that's Asian machine tools and limited tooling."

Yup. Paul has it correct.

Last edited by Cabriolet; 09/28/16.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The Beginning:

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Cabriolet; 09/28/16.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I agree with the suggestions, learn how to set up and use the equipment you will need by getting machinist training. I'm a firm believer in learning more than you need, in case you should ever want to become a machinist should 'smithing not be sufficient to pay the bills.

Talent is what you're born with, skills are what you earn. - Rod Smith

Time flies, but remember, you are the pilot!
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I would agree with those who tell you to learn lathe and mill work first. I am a journeyman tool and die maker. I can't tell you how many times I've bailed out gunsmiths who only learned their machining the "monkey see, monkey do" way in gunsmithing school and didn't know what to do when things went wrong or they made a mistake. Also when they took on jobs that demanded machining skills and knowledge beyond their learning.

With regard to learning the business aspects of it, yes. A "hobby" that makes a profit is a business. A "business" that doesn't make a profit is a failure. There are a lot of places to learn how to run a small business and how to make a viable business plan. Find one.

Mathew 22: 37-39

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Or instead of going into the most difficult and expensive aspect of it. You could buy a bluing tank and set up. Jewel and rejewel bolts. Learn how to do trigger work. Heck, people will drop off guns just to be cleaned. Charge $30 per cleaning. These little jobs help pay for the next step

Can't make this sh%t up
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
90 percent of our everyday gunsmithing does not involve a lathe or mill. A small hammer, good punches, smooth jawed vise, an assortment of files and stones is what pays the bills. Never finance anything. Nothing will kill your business faster than a loan on top of your regular overhead. When you start machining of any kind now requires an ITAR annual registration fee of $2250 in addition to your 01 FFL Gunsmith/dealer license. Plan on going full time or just doing it for yourself. Pretty hard to justify the operational overhead for a part time hobby unless you like working for free. You must show a profit in a few years or the IRS can declare you a hobby and retro every expense since you started as taxable. Making a profit is also an ATF requirement for licensing. Make sure your zoning and neighbors approve as it only takes one complaint to get you shut down by the city or county.

After almost 9 years full time I rarely go shooting for fun. Last thing I want to do in my spare time is talk about or play with guns. I'd rather play with my and my friends race cars.

"Hired Gun" Quickest and fastest all motor sand car on the planet.
3.008 at 104.8 300' of sand.

NRA Patron Life Member, Gunsmith, Instructor, Chief RSO
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by HiredGun
When you start machining of any kind now requires an ITAR annual registration fee of $2250 in addition to your 01 FFL Gunsmith/dealer license.

Stock making also.

Last edited by Cabriolet; 10/08/16.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
You may be interested in building rifles but people who can afford to buy them usually want it built by somebody with a reputation. It takes time to build that. You will end up putting on recoil pads and mounting scopes.
You will have to deal with people. Some are a pleasure, others may be a challenge.
See if you can visit a local gunsmith after hunting season is over and see how he keeps busy.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Learn how to program a CNC lathe or milling center.
You can make more money. It will be in a nice air conditioned shop. You might want to start by taking machining classes at a local community college.
Once you learn machining then be a gunsmith.
Welding is handy to know.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

493 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 1minute, 19rabbit52, 1eyedmule, 54 invisible), 2,727 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,912
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.