Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Palidun
It will last longer than that coughing hacking Hillary!

And Bill combined. LOL

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As far as I'm concerned the .338 RCM is a great cartridge in concept but not without drawbacks, including increased bang and recoil when used in shorter, lighter rifles. In rifles with standard length actions and barrels the .338WM makes more sense.

The increased bang and flash isn't a concern to me and is probably not much greater than a .338WM. In any case, it isn't a target cartridge and the number of rounds put down range would be correspondingly low.

Maximum velocities with a 20" barrel (per Hornady's specs for loaded ammunition) are very similar to the not quite max 225g/2742fps loads in my 22" .338WM. The 20" platform makes for a handier rifle with plenty or range and thump for most purposes. The cow I shot at 487 yards with my .338WM would never have noticed the difference if I had shot her with a .338RCM instead.

Like the Ruger rifles with the Zytel stocks, I expect the 20" barreled rifles chambered for the .338RCM will become more sought after over time.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Like the Ruger rifles with the Zytel stocks, I expect the 20" barreled rifles chambered for the .338RCM will become more sought after over time.

Ha!

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
As far as I'm concerned the .338 RCM is a great cartridge in concept but not without drawbacks, including increased bang and recoil when used in shorter, lighter rifles. In rifles with standard length actions and barrels the .338WM makes more sense.

The increased bang and flash isn't a concern to me and is probably not much greater than a .338WM. In any case, it isn't a target cartridge and the number of rounds put down range would be correspondingly low.

Maximum velocities with a 20" barrel (per Hornady's specs for loaded ammunition) are very similar to the not quite max 225g/2742fps loads in my 22" .338WM. The 20" platform makes for a handier rifle with plenty or range and thump for most purposes. The cow I shot at 487 yards with my .338WM would never have noticed the difference if I had shot her with a .338RCM instead.

I think along the same lines. Supposedly the 338 RCM doesn't have the same recoil and muzzle flash that a standard 338 win mag would from a 20" barrel. It also doesn't loose as much velocity. I suspect however that most of that advantage would only be gained when using the factory optimized ammo.

I was looking for a short light powerhouse when I ran across these. I had never even heard of the 338RCM until a few days ago and on paper it seemed everything I was looking for. It seems that I am a bit late to the party though.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
It's only dead if you stop buying them

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by bellydeep
Folks, it's dead. Don't buy one.

This is how they die

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Ha!

Laugh it you want. My three Zytel stocked rifles are worth far more than I paid for them and what they would be with the walnut or newer synthetic stocks. Not too long ago people would have predicted they would be worth less than the others. (As did the retailers who let them go cheap.)

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

I was looking for a short light powerhouse when I ran across these. I had never even heard of the 338RCM until a few days ago and on paper it seemed everything I was looking for. It seems that I am a bit late to the party though.

Not unless $499 for a Ruger 20" walnut stocked rifle at cdnnsports.com is "late to the party". If they still have them at Christmas time I may have a discussion with Santa...

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

Not unless $499 for a Ruger 20" walnut stocked rifle at cdnnsports.com is "late to the party". If they still have them at Christmas time I may have a discussion with Santa...

Me too. I'm only late as in I'm trying to raise the cash to get one before they are gone.LOL

Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
The 22” Stainless/Synthetic version without sights is now $399.99 !

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

Ha!

Laugh it you want. My three Zytel stocked rifles are worth far more than I paid for them and what they would be with the walnut or newer synthetic stocks. Not too long ago people would have predicted they would be worth less than the others. (As did the retailers who let them go cheap.)

Coyote Hunter is right. Look at all the complaining people did about the Zytel stocks, and now they are double what they were new. People compained about the Mk II models, so Ruger brought out the Hawkeyes and people want the Mk II's now. If you want a 338 RCM, buy it now, and the brass.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

If this is the rifle under discussion, it's not short or light. The price is incredible.

https://www.cdnnsports.com/338rcm-hkm77rfp-22-m-sts-syn.html?___SID=U

Last edited by PaulBarnard; 09/09/16.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
At $500 for a good solid rifle including rings, one could afford enough ammo and/or brass to cover your future needs as well as a small stash to go with the rifle if it's ever sold.

Lots of sad no-brass stories here of late, but this ain't one of them, yet. If I really wanted one (I don't), I'd jump.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
At $400, I'd jump quicker.

What fresh Hell is this?
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
T
I think this is the one being talked about.

Ruger M77 Hawkeye 338 RCM 20" barrel w/ sights

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

If this is the rifle under discussion, it's not short or light. The price is incredible.

https://www.cdnnsports.com/338rcm-hkm77rfp-22-m-sts-syn.html?___SID=U

This is the one I'd jump on. 20" barrel, $499.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If anyone is still afeared of buying into obsolescence, they've got .338 Winmags as well.

What fresh Hell is this?
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Got a wood one a while back from CDNN, stocked up on brass, handy rifle, short action, hard hitter (I would think, maybe I'll find out this year), I'm not worried I think this round will be more appreciated in the future by those who scoff at it now,and those who like above 30 cal whether it dies or not.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Cariboujack

Ha!

Coyote Hunter is right. Look at all the complaining people did about the Zytel stocks, and now they are double what they were new. People compained about the Mk II models, so Ruger brought out the Hawkeyes and people want the Mk II's now. If you want a 338 RCM, buy it now, and the brass.

I have 4 boat paddles, so I am no stranger to their allure.

But the RCM's ain't goin nowhere but to the very bottom of the popularity list. Mark my word.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I believe that the .338 RCM or -06 fills a significant spot. Until someone brings out moderately priced commercial versions of the .338-06, the Ruger .338 RCM does nicely even though it requires one brand of brass. It remains a fact that very few over-.30 cartridges gain any popularity with recoil-shy Americans, out of the larger handful that are worthy. Remington has failed several times with the .350 mag and .35 Whelen, two cartridges with similar performance to their .338 counterparts.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

646 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 160user, 117LBS, 10ring1, 68 invisible), 2,564 guests, and 1,192 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,164
Posts18,465,252
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.