Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
You must be out hunting! Be sure to report back.

[Linked Image]

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Thats Awesome!!
What was your load?
Also a hunting story please.

RS

Last edited by BigGameRS; 09/13/16.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
George got the shipment of brass in, just put it for sale on the GAP website today. Cheaper than the first batch!

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
140 Berger, 61.5 H1000 ~ 3020fps. Awesome hunt and back country experience. I could write a book, "All the things they didn't tell you about sheep hunting".

Short shot, only about 150 but very downhill. Steep and deep country, awesome horse and mule experience (even after rolling one down the mountain - but he made it), grizzly fight in camp (at night).

Couldn't ask for much more.

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Awesome! Sounds like a great hunt.

How did the Berger do?

Kimber7, yes, I already bought some today, but thanks! I only got 120 cases 'cause a) it's not for sure this is perfected brass yet and b) I'd just spent myself into the fun-money poorhouse buying a bunch of parts needed to do this build, like the APA RTG bottom metal, the bolt shroud & pin, M16 extractor, etc. But 120 will get me up and rolling and hell, by the time I get the stock and barrel in February 2017, GAP will probably have another batch in hand anyway! smile

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Gies340
140 Berger, 61.5 H1000 ~ 3020fps. Awesome hunt and back country experience. I could write a book, "All the things they didn't tell you about sheep hunting".

Short shot, only about 150 but very downhill. Steep and deep country, awesome horse and mule experience (even after rolling one down the mountain - but he made it), grizzly fight in camp (at night).

Awesome job again my friend !!

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Thanks gents! Jeff - Berger was awesome. I made a good shot and pinwheeled him right there. We found the largest part of the bullet thru far side shoulder. I put it in a ziplock with my lunch in the saddle bag. That night's whiskey celebration plus the previous nights bear fight (that's two bears) in camp has us burning a bunch of trash. My buddy didn't know that's where I stowed it and the bullet was lost. Dang shame too. But, that's hunting, right (?) and a pretty good story.

Lots of great help (and patience) from Scott, Pat and others here on 24 over the past several years. My original plan was a 260 thanks to Pat's incredible thread 308 vs 260. I had also thought Creed was an option. I didn't want another mag that didn't get shot much. Reading and learning about George's theories on pressure and case design really pushed me to the SAUM. Something also cool about it still being not quite mainstream and different. I still have a bunch of questions about some advanced reloading stuff that I've never been a part of (bushings, neck turning, etc) but look forward to that as well.

I hope you enjoy yours as much as I have already mine. Antelope and a couple elk planned yet this year with the SAUM.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I took this photo for my good friend and knife making savant, Rick Menefee:
[Linked Image]

Lanyard by yours truly and horns thanks to the Wyoming backcountry...

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Gies340

Hi Gies,

Adventures are awesome, hunts ok. Grin! Congrats on the sheep.

Can I please ask you to share the blueprint of your rifle?

Many thanks,

Bob

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
It's a gorgeous rifle. Pretty sure that's the GAP pattern- Manners SL, Bartlein #3 fluted twisted 1:8.7..... I won't lie, it makes me doubt my decision to go with the Xtreme Hunter pattern which has the DBM. Very clean-looking rifle.

Gies, what's your take on that Nightforce Compact on there? Enough X's? I've got a 3-10 NF SHV on my 7 WSM kimber and am liking it very much, but was thinking of going with higher X's on the top end for the 6.5 SAUM. Such as a 3.5-15 NXS if I can swing it.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Bob, my pleasure. I went with the GAP NonTypical in 6.5 SAUM, plus fluted the barrel and muzzle brake at 24". Slightly longer LOP. http://www.gaprecision.net/ga-precision-2016-custom-rifles/ga-precision-non-typical.html

Jeff, I really love that compact scope. They've discontinued the 2.5-10x32 (with 30mm tube) and think it is a great, all around scope. I didn't want a 2# scope on this gun. You can still find these on close outs like Europtic. I was also considering S&B fixed power. This scope I have has the zero stop and velocity reticle. They work well together. We've shot steel to 1150. As I said before, I'm no shooting prodigy.

If I ever save again, I'd like a heavy rig with more magnification for paper and steel. There are many opinions and I'm no expert, but I don't think you can go wrong with NF or S&B.

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Yeah... I have a 5.5-22 NXS on my heavy rifle, also a 7 WSM. It's nice to have the magnification on tap. I'm also no great rifleman-- I'll take all the help I can get!

I'll report this- the tracking on my 3-10x42 SHV matches exactly with the NXS; same dialed input on either gives 900 yard hits on 11" steel gongs. Both rifles are 7 WSM's, same load. Anyway the SHV is a very good scope. Doesn't have the illumination, though.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
It's a gorgeous rifle. Pretty sure that's the GAP pattern- Manners SL, Bartlein #3 fluted twisted 1:8.7..... I won't lie, it makes me doubt my decision to go with the Xtreme Hunter pattern which has the DBM. Very clean-looking rifle.

I'd be very surprised if you didn't end up liking the DBM. Not as clean, but feeding and convenience are great and the extra COAL is nice too. Didn't think I would like it, but after using a PT&G/AI mag setup, I really like it.

John

Last edited by Hondo64d; 09/17/16.

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Geis,

Many thanks. I didn't realize that was a straight up GAP. Damn good lookin rifle regardless!

John (Hondo), I'm torn over a DBM for the 4S that I will be building. I think a Wyatts box might also be an option. Good feeding and a bit more room over my stock Rem 700 box.

Bob
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Bob, I did a Wyatt's extended in my heavy 7 WSM on a Rem short action. It feeds like butter, but you only get 2 rounds down. A little finicky to load with the flat follower. 2.925" max COAL which is shorter than the DBM is going to give me.

I am intrigued by DBM. Also wary of becoming tacticool.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
DBM is cool but not what I wanted for an all Wyoming, hunt anything rig. If I do build another for paper/steel/prairie dogs, I'll go the DBM route. Mine feeds great and if I do what I'm supposed to, I only need one shot anyway.

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm planning on shooting the absolute crap out of it, as I have been my 7 WSM's. Once I have the 6.5 GAP reamer and 7 SAUM go/no go gauges a new Bartlien is only $480... no labor charges... so that helps a lot. As I've started building these things myself it's changing my thinking about a rifle: it's now a chassis that holds a replaceable barrel <grin>. The Manners/ DBM setup appears to be a worthy "barrel holding chassis" and hopefully the Rem action and PTG bolt will prove worthy as well. They should.

Anyway, I do think the DBM will be nice for what I intend to be a high-volume rifle.

But, that ADL (blind) magazine setup sure looks clean and low-drama. And, having just bought the bottom metal for $275 (w/o mag) going blind or just using factory BDL bottom metal, which I have on hand as a spare part, I can attest would've saved me considerable dough.

Edit: I just zoomed in on the pic and damned if that isn't a BDL, not blind, setup! Still nice and clean, though a blind mag would be REALLY clean. I'm leaving my comments above so we can laugh at them. smile

Last edited by Jeff_O; 09/18/16.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I'll only go blind magazine if I am really concerned about weight. It's just not worth it to have to shuck shells to unload. BDL or maybe detachable mags....will have to see.

Bob
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
New one is in the house. Not enough time to prep it for my WY trip but it's here!

[Linked Image]

Next to my XH:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

ALDO LEOPOLD
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

98 members (35, 338rcm, 7x57Hunter, AGL4now, 160user, 41rem, 14 invisible), 959 guests, and 734 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,221
Posts18,447,504
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.