Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
I was talking to a friend the other day and he mentioned hating the tunnel vision effect so many scopes display today. You know when the image doesn't go all the way to the edge of the tube and there is a black ring no matter how you place your eye.

I was just wondering what scopes you have found that have the most complete image. For me it is some of my older Leupolds and the Kahles AH scopes. I find it strange that some of the newer Leupolds have a slight tunnel effect and my Kahles CL scopes have a slight amount as well.

My primary interest is in scopes with a 1.5X-2X low end. My favorite hunting scopes are in the 2-7X36 range or 1.5-6 range.I would like to know of any full image scopes you may have experience of in that range.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Almost everything I have is high magnification. Therefore I can only speak about them: Swarovski z5 5-25X52 and Leupold VX-6 4-24X52.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I suggest you find a gun store that has a special stock setup for testing scopes. In my area, that would be my local Sportsman's Warehouse.
That's the only way I've found for checking on things like a scope's eye box, etc. I suspect tunnel effect would also show up using such a stock. E

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There are, I think, two basic ways in which eye relief and scope zoom can be interrelated.

The first let's call the Leupold effect: eye relief and eye box are huge at lowest settings, then get shorter/smaller as X's increase.

Second is how my Conquests and Swaro work: the so called constant eye relief scope. Eye relief is shortest at low and high powers and longest in the middle.

My 3-9x40 Conquests have the best ER/EB characteristics that I personally have experience with; that said if they are gonna tunnel, it'll be a 3x, which is not what the OP wants.

My Leup 2.5-8's have huge ER/EB at low powers.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
The 2-12 VX6 is the eyebox king at any mag, IMO.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Oheremicus
I suggest you find a gun store that has a special stock setup for testing scopes. In my area, that would be my local Sportsman's Warehouse.
That's the only way I've found for checking on things like a scope's eye box, etc. I suspect tunnel effect would also show up using such a stock. E

I only have to look through them to be able to tell. I don't have to have it mounted to a stock blank. The problem is that there are a few scopes I'll never get to lay hands on unless I order it or drive 200 miles.

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
There are, I think, two basic ways in which eye relief and scope zoom can be interrelated.

The first let's call the Leupold effect: eye relief and eye box are huge at lowest settings, then get shorter/smaller as X's increase.

Second is how my Conquests and Swaro work: the so called constant eye relief scope. Eye relief is shortest at low and high powers and longest in the middle.

My 3-9x40 Conquests have the best ER/EB characteristics that I personally have experience with; that said if they are gonna tunnel, it'll be a 3x, which is not what the OP wants.

My Leup 2.5-8's have huge ER/EB at low powers.

I don't know if we are on the same page or not. I'm not talking about eye relief( distance the eye needs to be for a perfect view) or eye box( how much the eye can be misplaced from perfect and still get a full view).

What I'm talking about is a tunnel effect ( when there is still a portion of the glass that the image will not fill no matter where the eye is located. Some scopes allow the image to fill the entire lens all the way to the edge of the tube, but some scopes will have a black ring between where the image stops and where the tube begins. The larger this ring the worse the tunnel effect.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R_H_Clark,

That's what I understood you were talking about.

Everyday Hunter
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Ringman
R_H_Clark,

That's what I understood you were talking about.

Yes sir, and I appreciate your original response.It's just that I will never have one of the higher powered scopes you prefer on a hunting rifle.

Have you ever had a chance to try the view through a Zeiss Victory 1.5-6X42?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I have the Victory 1.5-6x42 with #60 IR. It is absolutely my favorite scope for deer hunting in GA. I can sit in a stand where shots are 15 feet, to a stand where shots are 200 yards. It is about perfect for where I hunt.

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
fwiw, I think the Zeiss Victorys I have had has the least amount of black oval in the "picture".

That is, the part that is not an ER or head placement issue

Have had the Swaro 1.5 but not the Zeiss Victory.

I don't know about anything illuminated, however

try Bobby Tomek

Baffling:

Baffling. The field of view should be surrounded by a black or very dark background and not be affected by shiny reflections from internal parts or the improper placement of field stops. Anything less will result in a loss of contrast.

Last edited by tomk; 09/11/16.

Defend the Constitution
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R_H_Clark,

Have you ever had a chance to try the view through a Zeiss Victory 1.5-6X42?

I went from fixed 4X to 4-16X and then to 5-25X groups. I never gave them a thought. Even my .375 has a 4-16X.

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I know exactly the "tunnel effect" you speak of and it drives me crazy as well. Stragely, I can pick up the same make and model of scope side by side and one might have more tunnel than the other even with high end scopes. Leupolds and high end Zeiss, Swarovski seem to have the least variability. Almost all newer Weavers have it really bad and many Nikons do as well. Almost every Zeiss Terra I have looked through has it.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by tomk
fwiw, I think the Zeiss Victorys I have had has the least amount of black oval in the "picture".

That is, the part that is not an ER or head placement issue

Have had the Swaro 1.5 but not the Zeiss Victory.

I don't know about anything illuminated, however

try Bobby Tomek

Baffling:

Baffling. The field of view should be surrounded by a black or very dark background and not be affected by shiny reflections from internal parts or the improper placement of field stops. Anything less will result in a loss of contrast.

Maybe so, but in a fast action hunting scope I would rather have a larger,full image than perfect contrast. I'm shooting ,not taking pictures.

My older Vari X Leupolds have full image to the tube. The contrast may be slightly less than newer high end scopes I have or have had but I still prefer the characteristics of a huge eye box and full image all the way to the edge of the tube.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
so would I and one of the reasons I enjoy the Diavaris on hand

not any kind of critique--that is what you are seeing, I believe.

Defend the Constitution
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I also hate that "tunnel" look however I've always thought the two Leupold 6's (both 36mm and 42mm) were about as good as it gets for making this ring disappear completely. The VX-3 3.5 to 10 is nearly as good. Hope this helps...

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
The worst tunnel effect of any scope I've ever owned is a newer Weaver 3 to 9! So bad I put in the parts basket, I couldn't bring myself to sell it to someone else!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Maybe so, but in a fast action hunting scope I would rather have a larger,full image than perfect contrast. I'm shooting ,not taking pictures.

My older Vari X Leupolds have full image to the tube. The contrast may be slightly less than newer high end scopes I have or have had but I still prefer the characteristics of a huge eye box and full image all the way to the edge of the tube.

I couldn't agree more. I have a vari x-ii 2-7 that I bought new in 1983 that has an edge to edge view. But even much cheaper scopes have better glass today.

I have a Vortex Diamondback 1.75-5x32 that has a very wide field of view and rivals the edge to edge view of my older Leupold. It's brighter and does a great job for me in the woods. Not crisp enough for the long ranges but perfect for a 358 BLR.

Dan

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

460 members (1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 52 invisible), 2,475 guests, and 1,146 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,167
Posts18,465,319
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.