Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Interesting that those saying monometals aren't needed in the 7-08 are also recommending PT's or AB's...

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GonHuntin
My wife killed a bull with the 140 grain TTSX from a 7mm SAUM (3050 fps muzzle velocity), the photo shows the recovered bullet.

[Linked Image]

The hollow point on these bullets is so shallow that, at full expansion, the frontal area is not very large. The bullet above is expanded to the bottom of the hollow and can't expand any further.

Her first shot took out lungs and exited but the bull stayed on his feet, so she hit him through the chest again. The recovered bullet is a "finisher" that smashed bone from close range when the bull tried to get to his feet as she walked up to him. The internal damage was not that impressive, I would trade a bit of penetration for more expansion in this bullet.

Don't know if the GMX or E-Tip would be any better but I'd use something other than the 140 TTSX in the 7-08. Maybe a 160 Accubond?

This goes counter to my experience with the 140 TTSX. It opens wide and violent, but often loses petals, as looks to be the case with the bullet in your pic.

Below is a pic of the lungs a bull moose I shot with the 140 TTSX impacting at about 2900 fps. You can see the wound channel through the lungs. The bullet exited after a quartering shot, and was not recovered.

[Linked Image]

Here are the petals recovered from a WT buck I shot with the 140 TTSX. The shank exited. The petals were embedded in the off side. The buck was DRT.

[Linked Image]

Some more petals recovered from 140 TTSX kills on deer and elk...

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
These threads are always interesting. Not taking away from anything you said Jordan, but a single instance of any piece of critical gear not performing as expected is enough for most of us to go in a different direction, despite positive experience of most others.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My wife killed a bull with the 140 grain TTSX from a 7mm SAUM (3050 fps muzzle velocity), the photo shows the recovered bullet.

[Linked Image]

The hollow point on these bullets is so shallow that, at full expansion, the frontal area is not very large. The bullet above is expanded to the bottom of the hollow and can't expand any further.

Is the 7mm 140 TSX substantially different structurally compared to the 120 TSX 7mm? This is a 120gr from my 7-08 I recovered from a whitetail I shot fore to aft at 140 yards. Muzzle velocity was 2980 fps. I was pretty happy with the expansion (the deer was less pleased grin )

[Linked Image]

This is one from a pig with the same rifle. IIRC the shot was about 50 yards.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Pugs; 10/03/16. Reason: add second pic

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The bullet in the photo I posted smashed through heavy bone and is expanded nearly to the bottom of the hollow point, it could not have expanded further. Also notice the front groove of the recovered bullet is in line with the front groove of the one that is loaded so you can tell how little of the front of the bullet can open and expand.

I believe Barnes should make the hollow in the point deeper so the bullet could expand to a larger frontal area.

I have never used the 120 TTSX, can't comment on the difference in construction but the expansion in your photos looks like I expected the 140s to expand.

Cancer Sucks
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole
These threads are always interesting. Not taking away from anything you said Jordan, but a single instance of any piece of critical gear not performing as expected is enough for most of us to go in a different direction, despite positive experience of most others.

This is true, and eventually happens with every make and model of every piece of gear we can possibly use, if we use it long enough. The fact is, as Dober used to say, every bullet will sooner or later do something that makes you go "Hmmmmmm...."

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have killed a lot of stuff with the 708. My two favorite bullets are the 154 Hornady interlock and the 150 Partition. The Sierras work most of the time. There simply isn't a better bullet than the 154 Hornady. There may be some as good, however.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I shot 3 animals in Africa using my Kimber Montana and Barnes Vor Tex 120 grain TTSX factory ammo. A warthog broadside at 70 yards, complete pass thru and DRT, shot behind shoulder. Bessbok at 159 yeards, spined him, bullet not recovered, needed a finishing shot and a smallish impala (22"), shot thru both shoulders and bullet was found opposite side skin, DRT, lost a petal. Impala was about 70 lbs, I would use a 140 or 150 grain bullet. Good luck.

K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
Put me in the 120 ttsx camp for the 7-08. Bullet performance is a bit more religion and faith than actual performance.
Is it necessary, probably not, but in my wife's Sako they are very accurate, and have worked on six elk and two buffalo. Though all have been inside 350 yards.

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
I used a 140 TTSX on my one and only elk last December. Did not recover the bullet.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

“Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.”
ISAIAH 41:10
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Went on a combo Muley/elk hunt a few years back with a Kinber 84 in 7-08. Being that both critters were on the menu, I settled on the 160 AB ahead of a case full of H414 (which really seemed to shine with heavier bullet weights). Consistent .75-.80 MOA for three shot groups.

Unfortunately, didn't get on an elk but whacked a mule deer buck at exactly 200 yds (lazed). It was a very steep quartering. Shot hit him behind the diaphragm on the right side. Bullet exited the lower left shoulder with about a quarter sized hole. He fell on the spot. Couldn't find bullet.

So, no elk experience with the 7-08 but i was (and still would be) totally comfortable with that load. But then again, like its parent, hard to go wrong with any decent bullet in the 7-08.

Good luck on your hunt.

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I've killed 3 bulls with the 7mm 154 Hornady Interbond, not apples to apples though as I used a STW. Recovered two, perfect mushrooms; all three elk were dead quickly.

Last edited by slm9s; 10/03/16.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Have 140 grain accubonds loaded up for the wife's tikka 7mm-08 and for my Montana 7mm-08. I would have liked to have ran 150 grain ballistic tips but both guns preferred the accubonds which doesn't break my heart either

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Billy Goat
My son killed a cow elk at about 200 yards using 7-08 with a 139 Hornady IL - bang flop. I tried loading the 140 NPT but didn't group well but the Hornady grouped well and did the job. If the premiums shoot well that's great but they are not necessary at 7-08 speeds.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Prwlr
If the premiums shoot well that's great but they are not necessary at 7-08 speeds.

Yup. They work well, but aren't necessary in the -08.

S
S
A person can't go wrong with a Barnes bullet. My sister shot a 50" moose with 139 grain interlocks. He went like 30 yards laid down and within a minute his head tipped over

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by slm9s
I've killed 3 bulls with the 7mm 154 Hornady Interbond, not apples to apples though as I used a STW. Recovered two, perfect mushrooms; all three elk were dead quickly.

This was one of my backup rigs out of a 7 Weatherby. Hornadys are pretty good bullets, certainly better than any Sierra. FOr hunting anyway

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Sierra report from another thread, and from an even slower 308:

Originally Posted by jackhammer922
Well, I don't know if anybody remembers, but I started a thread about performance of the 165 gr hpbt on game sized deer and up. I had previously shot a Blackbuck in the shoulder at 160 yds, and the bullet split in two, killing it like a lightning strike. I thought to myself, If this bullet will come in two on an amimal of this size, what would it do on bigger critters? I got to do some testing the other day on an Axis buck and a fallow doe at 50 yds.

The performance of the bullet was horrible. On the buck, I double lunged him and he ran about 40 yds and died. Only one drop of blood to track with. If my guide had not been with me and seen where the buck had run,it could have turned into a 2 hour tracking job. (It was some thick stuff he had run into) I then shot a Fallow doe at the same distance where her neck joined her body. The shot was a little high and back, so it was essentially a very high shoulder shot. The instant the bullet hit bone, it exploded, crippling the deer and leaving it suffering.

I had to shoot it in the head to put it out of it's misery. So although the load out of my .308 delivers match accuracy, target shooting is all I will use it for. Yeah, it killed the animals, but overall I am very disappointed with the bullet performance. I will try to work up a load with H4895 or Varget behind a 130 gr triple shock. Had I been using that bullet, both deer might have been DRT. I would have at least had a blood trail. The doe would probably never known what hit her. Instead, she suffered unimaginably for about 2 minutes. Way to go Sierra! The techs said it was one of their toughest bullets. Horsesh#&!

The reason I posted this thread in the "Ask The Gunwriters" forum is because it is a follow up thread. The original thread was asking a gunwriter about this bullet.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I'd feel very good with a 140 partition or accubond personally, loaded to 2800fps.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

[Linked Image]

Her first shot took out lungs and exited but the bull stayed on his feet, so she hit him through the chest again. The recovered bullet is a "finisher" that smashed bone from close range when the bull tried to get to his feet as she walked up to him. The internal damage was not that impressive, I would trade a bit of penetration for more expansion in this bullet.

Don't know if the GMX or E-Tip would be any better but I'd use something other than the 140 TTSX in the 7-08. Maybe a 160 Accubond?

That bullet must have a much shorter hole in the front than the .338 versions I've used. The only one I've recovered from an animal was .75" across the front (launched at same 3050fps).

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (204guy, 222Sako, 257 mag, 12344mag, 2500HD, 160user, 66 invisible), 2,544 guests, and 1,163 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,116
Posts18,464,530
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.