Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
WVZ: Welcome. I always enjoyed your writing about rifles and hunting.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Welcome. Eat the chicken and leave the bones--you'll enjoy it here.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Yes, welcome to a mellow site where everyone gets along - as long as they don't sign in!
Look forward to your contributions as I have followed you for years.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
WvZ -

Count me in welcoming you to the 'fire'. I've never had the privilege in conversing with you and am very interested in getting to know you better.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
WVZ, welcome aboard. Thank you for all of your rifles and shooting articles and books over the years. Great stuff.

Semper Fi
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Welcome aboard Wayne!

I really enjoy your work. We are lucky to have you contributing.

GW

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Welcome Mr. van Zwoll!

I am MAGA.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Have always enjoyed your work. Along with JB we have two down to earth people on board with a tremendous amount knowledge. Both practical field shooting and the science behind it.

Welcome..

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Welcome Wayne! I'm a long time fan of your writing. It will be great to have you on the 'fire.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by WvZ
Thank you! I'm sure I'll learn something around this campfire -- initially how to listen and talk across it!

I hope you have thick skin. Welcome aboard...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Welcome aboard. Looking forward to your take on different subjects.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
This is great! Welcome!

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by WvZ
The heating of bullets in flight is hard to study. I must defer to ballisticians with more experience and equipment. But those who've conducted the Doppler trials for Hornady are on to something. As I've mentioned in my articles on the topic, heat build-up becomes consequential when the bullet 1) is going fast enough to generate requisite friction, 2) has a high enough BC to travel at speed for some distance and 3) flies far enough to permit thorough heating. Most bullets/shots don't meet all those requirements. Your question about HP and SP noses is a good one. Without data, I'll hazard that jacket material won't melt at the velocities shown to induce melting in polymer. And while lead will liquefy at lower temps than gilding metal, it's already imperfect in form at the bullet tip. If heat affects its shape, any change would be hard to measure and to replicate in shooting trials. That's my tractor-seat opinion.

So does a bullet have to have all three? Or if two of the factors are particularly strong, can the third be discounted?

For example, if I shoot an 80gr Barnes out of my 25-06, it beats the MV requirement by quite a bit. But the BC isn't even close.

Really it may be an irrelevant question because I don't plan on LR shooting with that load, but it's more for curiousity's sake.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
My wife attended a SCI women's hunter event in Wyoming in 1999 at which Wayne was an instructor. She learned lots from him and thought he was a great instructor. A while later Wayne and his wife stopped by our home in Dundee (their daughter was in college nearby) and we had a great visit. He's a knowledgeable and very practical guy.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Welcome Sir !

looking forward to reading more of your work

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
That Wayne is a fine addition to the fire and a great writer is certainly true, but it is also true that he is a remarkably good hunter too. I know this because I've hunted with him on the Deseret Ranch. Some years ago years ago, I had a management bull elk permit for the Deseret. My brother was guiding me and we were having trouble finding a decent management bull. In those days a management bull had to be and older 5x5 or 5x6. Wayne was on the ranch and bunking with my bother and me. He told us he'd seen a great 5x5 that would score well. He offered to take us into the drainage where the 5x5 was hanging out. The three of us found the bull the first time the next morning about 8:00am miles from the truck in the very rugged blue fork canyon area. The bull gave us the slip several times but Wayne kept finding him. Finally about 11:00am the bull made a final fatal mistake and I put a 160gr Nosler Partition through his chest. It was an exciting chase, one I will never forget.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Welcome Wayne! I've always enjoyed your writing.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RickBin
Hi Folks:

I am proud and honored to welcome officially Wayne van Zwoll to the rolls of Campfire membership.

Please use this thread to ask Wayne questions about his new, exclusive Campfire article LOADS FOR THE LONG SHOT, linked here and also found on the Reloading subpage.

Welcome, Wayne!

Rick

What a welcome addition! I have long called Wayne my guru for all things hunting and shooting.

A big Washington State Welcome to you, Dr. VanZwoll!

"I didn't realize we had so many snipers in this country." by J23
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice article.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Welcome Wayne!

I look forward to reading your posts!

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

82 members (AGL4now, 35, Ashworth, 160user, 41rem, Akhutr, 12 invisible), 985 guests, and 729 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,221
Posts18,447,500
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.