Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by sbhooper
Wouldn't it be better to use UPS, instead of the lame postal service?

I've heard the USPS is much better about paying insurance claims for lost/damaged items than UPS. Not that I'd say the USPS is some kind of wonderful, but that alone is a substantial reason to use USPS. In my case, the post office is the only convenient option. Both the UPS and FEDEX hubs are far from conveniently located for me. And the USPS has improved their tracking whereas it used to be pretty useless.

BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

UPS is an absolute PITA here and about the last shipper I will deal with. They spend all day delivering to businesses and expect residential folks to wait until the end of the day to get their packages and they will never give the slightest clue when the package will be delivered.

Once you miss them they do not follow directions given on their website and generally do everything possible to make things difficult. More often than not it involves picking the package up at their office rather than relying on their delivery "service."

I hate using them

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Interesting I hunt some with a local UPS guy up there, he must be really different than what you get service wise.

And that sure could be expected, service in the end usually boils down to who is hired.

But I can't afford to ship through them up to AK for friends... USPS gets it all.

Unless its 5 buck shipping from Cabelas or I have no other option when ordering stuff. Gets there quick and delivered just fine

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
It also depends on locale. Until very recently UPS was a PITA here, because the local shipping center is a 70+ mile round trip from my house, and is only open for regular customers to ship stuff an hour a day, four days a week. There's a UPS store in the same town, but they won't take firearms.

Luckily, a local hardware store took over as a local drop-off not long ago, and they'll happily take firearms. But who knows how long that will last. I only use them when some company wants me to use UPS to ship test rifles back to them. Otherwise the local post office is far easier, because the only local Fedex drop-off is a box, and the main center is in the same town as UPS.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rost495
Interesting I hunt some with a local UPS guy up there, he must be really different than what you get service wise.

And that sure could be expected, service in the end usually boils down to who is hired.

But I can't afford to ship through them up to AK for friends... USPS gets it all.

Unless its 5 buck shipping from Cabelas or I have no other option when ordering stuff. Gets there quick and delivered just fine

Always a different driver here... that certainly does not help, I'm sure.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by clark98ut
When did this take affect?

This is just their 'summary' link:

http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/summary_of_changes.htm

but it shows the dates of changes. A link on the page also takes you to more comprehensive details re: the changes.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by rost495

Always a different driver here... that certainly does not help, I'm sure.

Yep, years ago when our small town was served by Hector only, he knew everyone etc... where they lived/worked and so on and got it done.

Now its split between 4-6 drivers( damn this growth stuff) and you just never know. I"ve been well fed up with them a few times here, and then other times a different driver goes above and beyond...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I decided against the USPS getting my shipping business with the last (of 7 total) broken rifles they stiffed me on.

I bought a beautiful Sako that arrived broken in the wrist. They made the seller and I jump through all the hoops, file all the paperwork on both ends, photos and auctions proving damage and value, then sat on it until their 60 day time limit expired, after which they just denied the claim.

If you like unnecessary bullsheit in your life, I highly recommend the USPS.

LOL
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Those same kind of stories are told for UPS and Fedex too though Fireball2. I don't think there's an ironclad chance with any of the shippers.

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Just got my bill to ship ram horns down to states from palmer Ak. UPS chaged $175 for 2 day.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco
My understanding is Registered mail is just an add-on service which can be added to 3 day Priority mail and not nearly as expensive as Priority Express. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I've recently been doing some shipping calculations since I'm selling some of my rifles.

So how much is it going to cost to ship a rifle now?? I also like to add insurance.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Wahnsinn
My understanding is Registered mail is just an add-on service which can be added to 3 day Priority mail and not nearly as expensive as Priority Express. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I've recently been doing some shipping calculations since I'm selling some of my rifles.

I checked a price from here to Dallas, express was $75, priority registered was $66. Definitely a little cheaper, probably depends where you're shipping and what.

Yeah, mailing to or from AK bites. What I'm trying to figure out is the correct packing tape to use. That linked thread in the OP mentions some gummy tape. Looking through the postal regs, I found this:

3.10 Tape and Tape Size

A strong packaging or paper tape (not cellophane or masking tape) may be used for the closure or reinforcement of packages. Paper tape must be at least 60-pound basis weight kraft. The adhesives on gummed tapes must be adequately activated before application and firmly applied with the tape extending at least 3 inches over the adjoining side of the box. Except for pressure-sensitive filament tape, tapes used for closure and reinforcement should be at least 2 inches wide. Nonreinforced plastic tapes must be at least as strong in the cross direction as in the machine (long) direction.

But it might just be easier to go buy whatever tape they like at the post office.

Damn, so that means I can't use gorilla duct tape? Shipping a barrel in a round container, with the ends duct taped, Monday. We'll find out... laugh

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

I've heard the USPS is much better about paying insurance claims for lost/damaged items than UPS. Not that I'd say the USPS is some kind of wonderful, but that alone is a substantial reason to use USPS. In my case, the post office is the only convenient option. Both the UPS and FEDEX hubs are far from conveniently located for me. And the USPS has improved their tracking whereas it used to be pretty useless.

USPS will also pick up a package at your house too... The others probably do it too, but that makes it that much more convenient..

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
So how much is it going to cost to ship a rifle now?? I also like to add insurance.

Varies with package size/weight/distance shipped ==> USPS Postage Calculator

Damn, so that means I can't use gorilla duct tape? Shipping a barrel in a round container, with the ends duct taped, Monday. We'll find out... laugh

You don't have to ship Priority Express or Registered mail for just a barrel. I believe the gummed kraft reinforced tape is just required for Registered mail. Googling on that you'll see lots of comments about the tape for registered mail. Ironically, I can't find anywhere on the USPS site that specifically addresses any special tape for Registered mail, but all the comments I see online state that the USPS stamps it all around the seams taped over as a seal to indicate if the package is tampered with. I went to my post office and asked about it. At first they didn't know what I was talking about. Then they said, "Oh, yeah, we have that tape." But they don't keep it up front for sale and don't sell it.

Read the Amazon comments about registered mail for this tape: Duck Brand HD Reinforced Gummed Kraft Paper Tape, 2.75 Inches x 375 Feet (964913)

I bought this tape from Staples: Staples® Standard Grade Paper Packing Tape, 2.8" x 125 yards, Each (468231-CC) I got it for a cheaper price in store ... about $8.39/roll

USPS will also pick up a package at your house too... The others probably do it too, but that makes it that much more convenient..

You can't get any of them to pick up a rifle from you. For UPS or Fedex, you have to go to one of their main hubs/service centers to ship a rifle/shotgun, not one of those satellite UPS or Fedex stores. For me, the post office is much more convenient.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Varies with package size/weight/distance shipped ==> USPS Postage Calculator

You don't have to ship Priority Express or Registered mail for just a barrel. I believe the gummed kraft reinforced tape is just required for Registered mail. Googling on that you'll see lots of comments about the tape for registered mail. Ironically, I can't find anywhere on the USPS site that specifically addresses any special tape for Registered mail, but all the comments I see online state that the USPS stamps it all around the seams taped over as a seal to indicate if the package is tampered with. I went to my post office and asked about it. At first they didn't know what I was talking about. Then they said, "Oh, yeah, we have that tape." But they don't keep it up front for sale and don't sell it.

Read the Amazon comments about registered mail for this tape: Duck Brand HD Reinforced Gummed Kraft Paper Tape, 2.75 Inches x 375 Feet (964913)

I bought this tape from Staples: Staples® Standard Grade Paper Packing Tape, 2.8" x 125 yards, Each (468231-CC) I got it for a cheaper price in store ... about $8.39/roll

You can't get any of them to pick up a rifle from you. For UPS or Fedex, you have to go to one of their main hubs/service centers to ship a rifle/shotgun, not one of those satellite UPS or Fedex stores. For me, the post office is much more convenient.

I have them pick up priority mail packages all the time. Rifles included.. NO problem whatsoever.. wink

BSA MAGA
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Right on above. I had to drive about 30 miles from Golden to Commerce City to send a rifle back to Alaska about 10 years ago, as they would not accept the rifle at the facility just a few blocks from my brother's house.

And speaking of USPS "service", it now takes a week ( voltage regulator for ATV) to 10 days (prescription) from Soldotna to Kotzebue if shipped flat rate priority mail.

The prescription tracking claimed it left ANC 4 days before it got here, an hour and a half flight time. Bull. Someone in ANC PO did not send it and marked it sent. It took repeated tracking requests from the pharmacy and the OTZ PO before it arrived the same day the second order, shipped "overnight" arrived just 2 days later after ordered. They go exactly the same. By truck to ANC in the afternoon then from that PO directly to Alaska Airlines who put it on the next available flight. There are 2 daily, one arriving at 7:30am and one at 6:30pm. Morning mail is in our boxes by 4pm the same day, evening mail by same time next day for first class and above. Some exceptions apply during Xmas rush. Might take a couple days for non-priority.

The first prescription of blood pressure med was shipped on Saturday, the second ordered and sent a week from the following Monday. Both were received on Wed following the Monday order

My regulator was ordered Friday and shipped out of Soldotna last Saturday. It came in today (Saturday)morning flight and was not in my box at 2:30pm, but was by 3:30. Someone in anchorage is screwing the pooch if it takes 5 "working" days to process a priority flat rate box and get it to the airport. And no, I very much doubt it is on AkAir.. Huge fines for that sort of stuff whereas no prob for Fed employees in the PO.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Over here in Minnysoda, a damned POS liberal state, the postmaster will throw you out if you bring in any kind of firearm.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I just got a quote of $143.00 to ship a rifle USPS priority express, while UPS was $71.49. This includes $2,000.00 worth of insurance and typical adult signature only and tracking etc.... I'm thinking UPS is getting my money today wink . Wish me luck that the rifle gets there in 1 piece!!!! I also have to clarify it's going to OK, not AK.... laugh shocked

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Just mailed a rifle today. No trouble standard Priority. Here is a cut and paste of the USPS regs. Color and bold is my edit

432.3 Rifles and Shotguns

Except under 431.2, unloaded rifles and shotguns are mailable. Mailers must comply with the rules and regulations under 27 CFR, Part 478, as well as state and local laws. The mailer may be required by the USPS to establish, by opening the parcel or by written certification, that the rifle or shotgun is unloaded and not ineligible for mailing. The following conditions also apply:

a.Subject to state, territory, or district regulations, rifles and shotguns may be mailed without restriction when sent within the same state of mailing. These items must:
b.Bear a “Return Service Requested” endorsement.
c.Be sent by Priority Mail Express (“signature required” must be used at delivery) or Registered Mail.
d.Include either insured mail service (for more than $200) requiring a signature at delivery or Signature Confirmation service.
e. A shotgun or rifle owned by a non-FFL may be mailed outside the owner's state of residence by the owner to himself or herself, in care of another person in the other state where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. These mailpieces must:
1.Be addressed to the owner.
2.Include the “in the care of” endorsement immediately preceding the name of the applicable temporary custodian.
3. Be opened by the rifle or shotgun owner only.
4. Be mailed using services described in 432.3a.

f. Mailing of rifles and shotguns between licensed FFL dealers, manufacturers, or importers are not restricted. USPS recommends these items be mailed using those services described in 432.3a.
g.Rifles and shotguns may be mailed by a non-FFL owner domestically to a FFL dealer, manufacturer, or importer in any state. USPS recommends these items be mailed using those services described in 432.3a.
h.Except as described in 432.2a, licensed curio and relic collectors may mail firearms meeting the definition of curios or relics under 27 CFR 478.11 domestically to licensed FFL curio and relic collectors in any state. USPS recommends these items be mailed using those services described in 432.3a.
i.Firearms which are certified by the curator of a municipal, state, or federal museum which exhibits firearms to be curios or relics of museum interest may be accepted for mailing without restriction.
j.Air guns that do not fall within the definition of firearms under 431.1a are mailable. A shipment containing an air gun with a muzzle velocity of 400 or more feet per second (fps) must include an Adult Signature service under DMM 503.9.0. Mailers must additionally comply with all applicable state and local regulations.

The section in red is the requirement of priority express or registered mail. It applies only to mailing within the state or mailing to yourself in another state.

In green applies to shipping to a ffl, manufacturer etc. It is recommended to mail the gun as described in the red text. But does not say it must be shipped in such manor.

So if your buying or selling out of state it is business as usual. Only in state or mailing to yourself is a expensive pain in the ass now with USPS.

All that is currently on their website which is what I went by when I mailed the rifle today. With some more diggin after seeing this topic I found my info was current as of 6/23/16. They have revised it as of 10/13/16. It has been simplified. Again cut and paste color is my edit

Publication 52 Revision: Change to Mailing Standards for Firearms

Effective October 13, 2016, the Postal Service™ is revising Publication 52, Hazardous, Restricted, and Perishable Mail, part 432, to correct an error published in the June 23, 2016, edition (22444) of the Postal Bulletin, and to provide uniformity with regard to the mailing options that can be used with firearms.

In the revisions announced in Postal Bulletin 22444, the Postal Service included a new requirement specifying that regulated firearms, mailed between Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) licensed dealers, manufacturers, and importers (FFLs), must be mailed by a product, or include an Extra Service, that provides for tracking and signature capture at delivery. Although the Postal Service strongly recommends that all regulated firearms be mailed using these services, it was not the intent of the Postal Service to place new requirements on commercial shipments between FFLs.

Publication 52, Hazardous, Restricted, and Perishable Mail

4 Restricted Matter

43 Firearms

432 Mailability

432.1 General

[Revise 432.1e. to read as follows:]

e. Except for shipments between licensed dealers, manufacturers, or importers, all regulated firearms must be mailed using a USPS product or Extra Service that provides tracking and signature capture at delivery.

432.3 Rifles and Shotguns

[Revise 432.3a.2 to read as follows:]

2. Be mailed using a class of mail, product, or Extra Service that provides tracking and signature capture at delivery.

[Revise 432.3b.4 to read as follows:]

4. Be mailed using a class of mail, product, or Extra Service that provides tracking and signature capture at delivery.

[Revise 432.3c. through 432.3e. to read as follows:]

c. Mailing of rifles and shotguns between licensed FFL dealers, manufacturers, or importers are not restricted. The Postal Service recommends that these items be mailed using a class of mail, product, or Extra Service that provides tracking and signature capture at delivery.

d. Rifles and shotguns may be mailed by a non-FFL owner domestically to a FFL dealer, manufacturer, or importer in any state. These items must be mailed using a class of mail, product, or Extra Service that provides tracking and signature capture at delivery.

e. Except as described in 432.2a, licensed curio and relic collectors may mail firearms meeting the definition of curios or relics under 27 CFR 478.11 domestically to licensed FFL curio and relic collectors in any state. These items must be mailed using a class of mail, product, or Extra Service that provides tracking and signature capture at delivery.

We will incorporate this revision into the next update of online Publication 52, which is available via Postal Explorer® at http://pe.usps.com.

Normal priority is a class of mail that provides tracking and adding signature required is a extra service is only a couple bucks. So again firearms and priority mail should be basically business as usual.Only thing the revision does not directly address is mailing to ones self.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I think you've got it right mike7mm08. However, I find the difference in cost between Priority Mail and Registered mail is not too significant once you account for insurance and signature required as added services, which are standard with Registered mail. No denying that Priority Express is just too expensive though. Registered Mail is, however, a good bit slower and seems to add about 3 extra business days to delivery.

Of course, the question that pops out to me is, why the special requirement by the USPS for a rifle mailed within the same state as opposed to interstate? Makes no sense to me. It would seem shipping a rifle is shipping a rifle regardless.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
597 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 12308300, 160user, 17CalFan, 53 invisible), 2,706 guests, and 1,156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,737
Posts18,401,102
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.