Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Finally got one of my projects done. Old school wooden stocked Rem 870, 1950s. It was pretty beat up. I bought it cheap as a donor. Here it after stock removed and most of parts collected.
Before:
[Linked Image]
After:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Hogue stocks, over sized speed safety, Volquartsen extractor (non mim), Wilson Combat extended mag tube and follower, Duracoat Magpul OD green. I can't remember exactly who made the heat shield, flashlight mount, and shell carrier right now blush

Holds 6 in the belly, one in chamber, and 4 on the side. I am pretty happy with it. It is one of my home defense tools.....

GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Those pistol grip only pump shotguns are cool looking, but seem like they'd be hard to deploy effectively, lacking a shoulder stock.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pretty disappointing.....I opened this thread expecting to see some nicely figured Walnut....

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I actually have the butt stock still. Just need to sand it and paint it black. The forend was so old and dry it broke upon removal.

It is just a belly gun, pretty much. For across the room. But it does pretty good with the pictured Winchester military grade 00 buck. Shotguns are absolutely wicked weapons.....

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Was wondering where you been. Almost PMed you.

Yeah the walnut was pretty trashed. As was most of it....

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Looks tacticool!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I was gonna build one, I'd start with what you used. Those old ones with 2 3/4 ONLY chambers have a much shorter stroke than the later ones.

A man NEEDING to use one is gonna be pretty excited and it's easy to short stroke the newer ones.

It's one thing to hear the "click" as the firing pin strikes air and you watch a cock pheasant fly on off.

Damn sight worse when you REALLY need it to shoot a second time.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yea....I was just funning ya...looks like a pretty good use for an old beater......

Haven't been around much....a friend from WY spent Sept over here trying to call in a Wolf and I've been the tour guide....
Needless to say...Wolves ain't that easy to call but we had a good time looking over some pretty wild country.....
He has a younger sister to my Cur dog that he's turned into an incredible decoy dog so we did manage to put a beat down on some pretty feisty Coyotes though....

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
That sounds like fun Charlie.....

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The older ones have better followers by a mile, and non mim extractors also. The extractor is the first thing I would change on a new 870. They have MIM extractors.

NONE of the police/military 870s have MIM extractors. That pretty much says it all.....

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
2muchgun;
Good evening to you sir and thanks for sharing the results of your shotgun project with us.

Because we're not really able to do much with pistols and revolvers up here, there's quite a few of us Canucks who appreciate the usefulness of a short shotgun.

To me it looks like you've ended up with an extremely useful arm and as you've stated, they do the job when called upon. wink

Thanks again, all the best to you folks and good luck on your hunts this fall too.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It was....hunting Coyotes with a decoy dog is a different animal and as much fun as I've had in A LOT of years of hunting em....
You can kill the whole dam family but chit happens pretty fast so you have to be a good shot....fortunately I was running the camera and not the gun so we did pretty good considering the limited amount of Coyote hunting we did...... blush

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks Dwayne.

We were out shooting it and a Weatherby tactical shotgun. Made in Turkey, I forgot the name/model.

I gotta say, the amount of damage a shotgun can do is downright impressive.

I would pay more money for an early model beater 870 than I would for a new one.

Take care......

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I could dig that. Different from doggie hunting here, for sure.

Everything here is so thick. it almost has to be winter with leaves down and snow, or at least fields picked/plowed.....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
Thanks Dwayne.

We were out shooting it and a Weatherby tactical shotgun. Made in Turkey, I forgot the name/model.

I gotta say, the amount of damage a shotgun can do is downright impressive.

I would pay more money for an early model beater 870 than I would for a new one.

Take care......

2muchgun;
Thanks for the reply sir, I appreciate it.

I'm happy to say we've not yet had to utilize our short shotguns in anything resembling the gravest extreme.

That doesn't prevent us from practicing with them to hone our skills now and then.... wink

[Linked Image]

Improvised speed drill targets that day. The goal was to double tap them with slugs before they fell over and no, I wasn't able to do that every time.
[Linked Image]

That 3/4" hole is impressive though for sure.

Thanks again and may we never need these "social arms" for anything more than practice.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
If you don't have arthritis in your wrists yet, you're gonna be well on the path, if you shoot it much.

As much as I like 870s, they'll hurt if you don't have the proper angle on the grip. That pistol grip looks too much like vertical to me.

I've done my share of shooting them with folders, pistol grips and such, and have always gone back to the regular-shaped buttstocks.

I like the metalwork, though.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's what it's like were the Wolves live around here too....
Like I said...I was just the tour guide for the Wolf hunting but I figured that any time you go into the woods pretending to be a dying animal in Bear/Wolf country I feel you should go armed so I was packing my 44mag carbine..... eek

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
That sounds like a fun drill.

And yes, the pistol grip definitely does impart some recoil on one's wrist. But as stated, it's really just a gun I hope I don't have to use. Just take it out for a little play time on occasion.

Those little 44 mag carbines, of all shapes and sizes, are selling like hotcakes around here. They changed the deer hunting law here. 2/3 of state was always an open rifle zone. But 1/3 was always shotgun/muzzleloader/ larger handgun zone. You can now use straight walled cartrifdges with brass of no more than 1.8" in the shotgun zone. My one bud uses a Marlin 44 mag. I use a 450 Bushmaster now. Brass is 1.7" and it throws 250 grainers at 2200 fps.....
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Of course, I still hunt the rifle zones as well.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mine's a 1976 pre safety Marlin that ain't for sale at any price.....

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
My bud's is a pre safety made in the 70s also. We have been friends for roughly 35 years. I can't ever remember him not having it.......

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

652 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 70 invisible), 2,826 guests, and 1,393 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,476
Posts18,451,832
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.