Print Thread
Hop To
J
JasonH Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
For anyone interested, I thought I would post a quick review my newest smoke pole. I've been lusting after a MRC X2 for a couple of years now. Every time I saved up the money, something would come up and it was bye, bye X2. However the stars finally aligned and I decided it was time to pull the trigger. I called MRC and spoke to a very helpful member of their sales staff. He was very patient and answered all of my questions. Right now, MRC is about 7-9 months out on custom orders, and I'm not a patient person. So in the interest of expediency, I went on Gunbroker and discovered that Reeds Sporting Goods in Minnesota has a metric chit ton of MRC rifles in stock.

I ended up getting one of the Colorado Buck special edition rifles in 7mm Remington. It came with a leupold Vx3i 4.5-14x40 CDS scope mounted in Leupold rings and bases. I checked it over carefully at the gun shop and found no obvious flaws in fit or finish. Once I got it home, I grabbed some cartridges and cycled the action a bunch. It is without a doubt the slickest controlled feed action I've ever messed with, and I've owned quite a few of the newer Winchester model 70's. It feeds very smoothly, and if you give the handle a good yank it will launch the ejected cartridge across the room. The cerakote finish is very nice and evenly applied. I did not remove the action from the stock for fear of screwing something up before I even shot it. The X2 stock is the most ergonomic comfortable stock I've ever held. It's extremely slender in the right places on the wrist and forearm. The three position safety works smoothly and gives you a good solid stop in the middle position. The trigger broke consistently just a hair over 3 pounds.

Today I took it to the range to see what she could do. The first shot was on the paper about 2 o'clock. After about 4-5 shots to get it where I want it, I settled down and shot a group at 100 yards. Now let me preface this by saying I am not an extremely experienced rifle shooter. I have been shooting since I was 12, and I'm 37 now. I have never tried to shoot for the purpose of shooting tiny groups. I generally just get a rifle dialed in and head to the woods. However, I wanted to see what the rifle and I could do. I only had time to shoot one group, and the barrel was pretty damn hot, but the 3 shot group ended up being just slightly over .5 MOA. I was freaking blown away! I was shooting federal premium vital shock 160 grain Nosler partitions. If this rifle will do that with hunting ammo, and me behind the trigger, there's no telling what a real rifleman could do with it!

Something else I want to mention is the effectiveness of the MRC muzzle brake. It is phenomenal. I would honestly compare the recoil to a .243. While it is loud, it is not as loud as some other brakes I've used. Having said that, the weight of the rifle also helps to mitigate recoil, as it weighs a little over nine pounds ready to go. I know some folks hate muzzle brakes and some folks hate heavy rifles, but this one is a damn pleasure to shoot. I could literally shoot it all day long with no ill effects.

I could not get my iPhone picture of the target to attach to this post, so I've pasted a link to the MRC Facebook page where I posted the picture earlier today.

In closing, this is the best money I've ever spent on a rifle. I'm thrilled with it, and it would be the last rifle I would ever part with. If you are on the fence about one of these rifles, just buy one. I don't think you will regret it.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...o.183113445038256&type=3&theater

Last edited by JasonH; 10/20/16.
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Happy happy joy joy. Target looks great ! Now go kill something.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
It saying Colorado Buck on it would be enough to make me pass..
Chaser

Turn em loose ...
J
JasonH Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Chaser, I hear what you're saying.....however, this rifle could be pink with hello kitty all over it and I would still hunt it. It's just that damn good.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sounds like you got a very nice rifle. Its always nice when a new rifle shoots up to your expectations.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by 1911a1
Sounds like you got a very nice rifle. Its always nice when a new rifle shoots up to your expectations.

+1

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by 1911a1
...Its always nice when a new rifle shoots up to your expectations.
This ^^^^^^

Originally Posted by sidepass
... Now go kill something.
And This ^^^^^

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 66 invisible), 2,339 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,656
Posts18,455,599
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.