Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
just another option, but have you looked at Rifles Inc?

GB1

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Is the only reason you are looking at HCR the 3 shot guarantee? Seems like you know each component of the rifle you want, you could buy all the components and assemble yourself using a trusted gunsmith To screw the barrel in.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
I don't understand why you would consider going back to Melvin since you had a bad experience with him. Would he even build you another rifle? I'm not putting you down,nor him either but I would think the last thing anyone would want was to use a gunsmith that they had already had issues with.

Good post. Sounds like it would be a waste of time for both Melvin and the OP. I'd be looking at a lefty Tikka T3 lite... I was looking at one the other day and they are pretty damn slick. Everyone says they are shooters right out of the box too. They weigh a tiny bit less than my pre 64 model 70, but hey it's a Tikka... wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
HCR builds some nice rifles. Another suggestion - go talk to Ray Perry in Bridge City, TX. Ray will build what you want, cheaper and faster than HCR. He built me a Kimber 84m in 7mm-08AI. The rifle is flawless.

David

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Does the cooper 92 fit the perameters? I didn't read all the way through but I've been checking the new coopers and they look really good!cooper backcountry. I think it's a 92. What kind of weight are you looking at, scoped?

If at first you don't succeed; shoot, shoot again
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SCHOOLCRAFT

I've heard praises of his love for working with his customers, and was pretty shocked at the way he was handling the situation.
I was told later that he takes such great pride in his work that he has a hard time believing anything not working properly with
his rifles must be the customers fault or lack of ability.

Rifles costing several times more than a NULA can on occasion also have problematic issues; There was a Jerry Fisher
custom mauser where the open sight fell off,- a Duane Weibe DGR mauser that failed to feed the next round on safari.
but the real problem is when ANY gun builder starts to think he's infallible.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I was treated the same way by Melvin with my .30-06 that would not feed. First time the rifle showed up it had a nice large scratch running down the barrel. Second time i received the rifle it was having feeding problems and was tired of dealing with a very rude person and wanted my money back. Funny Thing is i called him twice while waiting on my rifle, the first time i called he told me, i could get things done faster if people would quit calling to check on their rifles! I told him Would call my credit card co and get my money back so fing fast and hung up. He called back and apologizied, but that left a extremely bitter taste in my mouth. I cannot for the life of me understand that a person with business act like this. I treat people like i want to be treated and was blown away by what he told me, as he was so nice and helpful when i first called him to order the rifle!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
First and second Nula were excellent. Third had an issue with a pin in the bolt that was out of spec and caused the bolt to stick. Only caused a problem with a round chambered. Discovered it working a dummy round, twice. Melvin couldn't believe it and we went around on it, twice. Finally, the light came on in his head and he said, "My fault, I know why." Fixed and another great rifle. I had to be willing to say horse chit something's wrong and we need to find out why. Wouldn't hesitate to have him do another.

Addition: I've been to his shop 4-5 times and his phone hardly stops going off. I work in the same type of environment. Trying to do something right and you are constantly interrupted by the phone and we have about 8 of them. Eventually, sometimes you lose your nice voice. In addition, like the internet, sometimes what you say is interrupted on the other end different than how you meant it.

Last edited by battue; 10/27/16.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by battue
First and second Nula were excellent. Third had an issue with a pin in the bolt that was out of spec and caused the bolt to stick. Only caused a problem with a round chambered. Discovered it working a dummy round, twice. Melvin couldn't believe it and we went around on it, twice. Finally, the light came on in his head and he said, "My fault, I know why." Fixed and another great rifle. I had to be willing to say horse chit something's wrong and we need to find out why. Wouldn't hesitate to have him do another.

Addition: I've been to his shop 4-5 times and his phone hardly stops going off. I work in the same type of environment. Trying to do something right and you are constantly interrupted by the phone and we have about 8 of them. Eventually, sometimes you lose your nice voice. In addition, like the internet, sometimes what you say is interrupted on the other end different than how you meant it.

He could either hire some one or use an answering machine so he wouldn't become a grouch.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Maybe there isn't enough profit to allow another employee. Nobody's perfect, everybody has bad days. Dealing with pretentious pricks gets tiresome. I build custom homes.....I know.

IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Serious question

Is there any reason a Kimber Montana with a trued action and a custom barrel,put together and bedded by a good competent smith,couldn't be just as accurate as a NULA? Wouldn't it be just as light also if someone was only interested in light and accurate?

I understand someone might want to get the NULA because of the stock shape,length,or to get a left hand version.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Clark, you're right and some of the ones we have have been plenty accurate as is too. I met Melvin in Nashville and was my pleasure to talk to him. I bet my friend and I spoke with him 30+min and it was our pleasure. I was going to order a 223AI from him but punked out when I picked up a factory Montana that shoots better than I can.

Not long ago I was telling a good friend about how a Nula would be the ultimate light deer rifle. He called him to order a 22" barreled 243 with either a timney or jewel trigger set at 2lb. He basically told my friend he was a idiot and only a fool would have a trigger that light and barrel that short.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Maybe he is getting old and crotchety. A combination of getting old and getting tired of building rifles could explain these CS complaints.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
True. I'm sure he gets some very stupid questions too

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Serious question

Is there any reason a Kimber Montana with a trued action and a custom barrel,put together and bedded by a good competent smith,couldn't be just as accurate as a NULA?

It could be, but I doubt on average it will be. Would the Kimber done right be more than adequate. Without a doubt.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by battue
Serious question

Is there any reason a Kimber Montana with a trued action and a custom barrel,put together and bedded by a good competent smith,couldn't be just as accurate as a NULA?

It could be, but I doubt on average it will be. Would the Kimber done right be more than adequate. Without a doubt.

What reason? Is the action stiffer or more inherently accurate in any way, or is it just that you trust that the experience and knowledge behind the NULA would result in a rifle built better?

In other words,would the components be better in a NULA or just the craftsmanship?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Maybe there isn't enough profit to allow another employee. Nobody's perfect, everybody has bad days. Dealing with pretentious pricks gets tiresome. I build custom homes.....I know.

Do you use "voice mail" or an answering machine?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I would have to say the reason is Melvin's entire rifle is built dead nuts center to the bore. You can true up a factory rifle for the barrel, but that doesn't mean the rest of the action isn't twisted a tad.

Just an initial thought. Could be wrong.

Last edited by battue; 10/27/16.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Ringman
Originally Posted by jackmountain

Do you use "voice mail" or an answering machine?

Last time I saw him, he was still using a flip phone. He could have a smart phone now. Maybe, but I wouldn't bet on it, unless he had to.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I would like to own a NULA. If I get the cash I wouldn't be afraid of Melvin's egocentricity enough to keep me from buying one.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

86 members (300_savage, 257robertsimp, 6mmCreedmoor, 338Rules, 16penny, 14 invisible), 1,200 guests, and 787 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,057
Posts18,463,235
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.