You fellows don't have a clue!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
They are lighter and shorter than most shotguns. Why wouldn't they point as well or as quickly?

Shotguns were not designed for deer hunting. A fact that should be self evident. Much better tools for the job IMO........

You can use the same argument for pistols grin They point nicely and work and yes it does not have the range of a big pistol,carbine or rifle but it still works

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Within that range, devastatingly effective. But I would be more comfortable with "well within" that range.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Originally Posted by kevinJ
Buckshot isn't legal in TN for deer hunting except one county in west TN if I am not mistaken. So that should mean stick to slugs or rifle. That was easy enough

That's what I get for not reading the regs close enough. Thanks for pointing out to me for what I didn't know.

In that case I'd think a little lever in a 44 or 45 Colt would be what I would need.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This is the only thing buckshot is good for grin
[Linked Image]
Winchester military grade, please:
[Linked Image]

Never felt anything but good carrying this deluxe carbine in a thicket. You can tell me all about how it don't work well.... cool
[Linked Image]
250 grains of joy.....
[Linked Image]

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by MichiganScott
I once shot an 8pt that would qualify as a dink and found 8 00 pellets in various parts of his body. They had encapsulated and had puss in most of the capsules. I'll never use buckshot because of that.

I've killed deer with , buckshot in them, broadheads in them, legs blown off with rifles. They all can fail when not done right.

TB, CWD and Covid-19 , free so far.....
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Jump shooting deer with a shotgun and buckshot is fun stuff, esp after stitting hours and hours on stand. Something diff once in awhile is always nice.

TB, CWD and Covid-19 , free so far.....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
You fellows don't have a clue!!

Rick, I'd like to see them in a good palmetto flat, a 5 yr cut over, a good pine thicket, etc. with dogs running a deer.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well up here we obviously have no palmetto flats. And we do not hunt deer with dogs.

But we do have plenty of supermegathickass woods that are dark on sunny days, cedar swamps, and pine thickets.

Tell me what a shotgun will do that a lighter, 38" or less carbine can't do.....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Oldman03
Why anyone would use buckshot, or a shotgun for deer is beyond me.

I can see it if forced by some dumba$$ law, but given a choice, not only no, fuuk no.........

Evidently you never had to hunt deer in a thicket. Have you ever hunted deer with running dogs?

Have hunted in the thickest $hit anyone would ever care to hunt in. A nice little lever action, carbine or big bore handgun are much handier than any shotgun will ever be.....

I've obviously been using the wrong weapon for grouse all these years.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
killed my first deer with #2 Buck out of a Stevens single shot 20 GA. Never used buck shot again though.
I hunt a lot in very close cover, Florida swamps and palmetto thickets. A .44 Mag lever rifle does that sort of thing perfectly.

Sam......

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Why anyone would use buckshot, or a shotgun for deer is beyond me.

I can see it if forced by some dumba$$ law, but given a choice, not only no, fuuk no.........

If a shotgun deer hunt is beyond you, picture this..

50 or 60 standers, all with shotguns and buckshot, a team of about 20 dog drivers, all with shotguns and buckshot pushing a pretty good sized pack of dogs.

It starts off simple enough, a few yelps from the pups, a few shots ring out, and then a few big boys get up...

It's an experience of a lifetime that would be totally impossible without shotguns and buckshot. It is also a way of life down here for some folks.

And, if the stuff is only meant for defense, wouldn't it be called dudeshot?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I hunt a lot in very close cover, Florida swamps and palmetto thickets. A .44 Mag lever rifle does that sort of thing perfectly.

My thoughts exactly.

However, I have never experienced anything like Rick stated. 70 people hunting deer in the same place plus a pack of dogs? I just don't know what to think of it. Honestly. Sounds.......crazy grin May be a good time though. I will say it is not how I would ever prefer to deer hunt. But may be cool once a year or something. We don't use dogs either. Some do for bear though. I like my quiet solitude in the woods when possible. But am not totally unsociable. It is just something I am completely unfamiliar with. Sure we do deer drives sometimes. But maybe 5-6 people and no dogs.

My feeling is that some feel the buckshot to be better in a "spray and pray" type situation, and that leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Sounds like a lot of potentially wounded deer to me. But I am all for whatever is legal and personal choice. I just hope that hunters are responsible enough not to abuse the freedoms they have been afforded at the expense of the deer.

Not sure if deer drives with dozens of hunters and dogs were considered by the OP, but I guess in certain situations, in which I have no experience, buckshot may have it's place. As stated by Randy and Rick. For myself, however, I doubt I will ever use it on a deer..........

Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Some of those southern swamps would be just about unhuntable without dogs and buckshot. Not to mention many areas buckshot and shotgun is the only legal weapon.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Troutnut
Some of those southern swamps would be just about unhuntable without dogs and buckshot. Not to mention many areas buckshot and shotgun is the only legal weapon.

See this is what I don't get. We have woods as thick as woods get. You can barely make it through some of them. I am talking aazzholes and elbows thick. We use carbines and/or handguns. Some use dogs on bear.

We do not have anywhere where buckshot is the only option. When we did have a shotgun zone in the southern 1/3 of the state, you could still use a muzzleloader, handgun, or slug. I always went with muzzleloader or handgun.

That said, I have seen more deer wounded with shotguns than all other firearms combined. But I lay that mostly on the hunters, rather than the guns. The shotgun is easily the favorite choice of the inexperienced around here.....

Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Troutnut

See this is what I don't get. We have woods as thick as woods get. You can barely make it through some of them. I am talking aazzholes and elbows thick. We use carbines and/or handguns. Some use dogs on bear.

We do not have anywhere where buckshot is the only option. When we did have a shotgun zone in the southern 1/3 of the state, you could still use a muzzleloader, handgun, or slug. I always went with muzzleloader or handgun.

That said, I have seen more deer wounded with shotguns than all other firearms combined. But I lay that mostly on the hunters, rather than the guns. The shotgun is easily the favorite choice of the inexperienced around here.....
Shotguns are just like any other weapon. Great when used inside their effective range which buckshot is about 50 yds . I'm sure it's hard to judge the difference between 50 yds and 70+ yds when a deer comes by hauling a##. As far as buckshot being the only thing legal it has more to do with the topography (flat) than anything else.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When the shooting is close and furious, a shotgun RULES.

Buckshot rules the roost for 20 yard or less shots. My god does it tear stuff up at close range. Almost too much.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It sucks compared to a rifle but thousands of deer are killed every year in the south on dog hunts with it

Just as many are lost due to lack of blood trails and slow kills.
Very few here use shotguns when running dogs.
If I had to use a shotgun, I'd use slugs.

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Snyper
It sucks compared to a rifle but thousands of deer are killed every year in the south on dog hunts with it

Just as many are lost due to lack of blood trails and slow kills.
Very few here use shotguns when running dogs.
If I had to use a shotgun, I'd use slugs.

Just because you are damn ignorant doesn't mean you are correct.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

My thoughts exactly.

However, I have never experienced anything like Rick stated. 70 people hunting deer in the same place plus a pack of dogs? I just don't know what to think of it. Honestly. Sounds.......crazy grin May be a good time though. I will say it is not how I would ever prefer to deer hunt. But may be cool once a year or something. We don't use dogs either. Some do for bear though. I like my quiet solitude in the woods when possible. But am not totally unsociable. It is just something I am completely unfamiliar with. Sure we do deer drives sometimes. But maybe 5-6 people and no dogs.

My feeling is that some feel the buckshot to be better in a "spray and pray" type situation, and that leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Sounds like a lot of potentially wounded deer to me. But I am all for whatever is legal and personal choice. I just hope that hunters are responsible enough not to abuse the freedoms they have been afforded at the expense of the deer.

Not sure if deer drives with dozens of hunters and dogs were considered by the OP, but I guess in certain situations, in which I have no experience, buckshot may have it's place. As stated by Randy and Rick. For myself, however, I doubt I will ever use it on a deer..........

I'm with you on not caring for deer drives.

But the folks that say shotguns ain't cutting it, go use a pistol? Geez I don't think I want to hang around with a crowd whose brain accepts that eitehr....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

337 members (1lesfox, 2500HD, 160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1eyedmule, 35 invisible), 1,626 guests, and 934 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,062
Posts18,463,341
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.