Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I've used buckshot some. Killed 2 with it and shot a few more that ran off dripping a little blood that I never found. All were within 50 yards. I wouldn't use it.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am just saying that I sometimes use a handgun in close cover.( Not on a deer drive) Shots are deliberate and well aimed, not flung in a general direction. One bullet weighs 325gr.-400gr. and the other 270 grain usually. Shot in single action mode. All will shoot clean through deer and deer do not go far.

What is wrong with a large handgun in tight cover?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
I've used buckshot some. Killed 2 with it and shot a few more that ran off dripping a little blood that I never found. All were within 50 yards. I wouldn't use it.

50 yards is about 15 yards too far. Might have something to do with your problems.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In general, I wouldn't use buckshot at any longer range than I would bird hunting with #6 or 7-1/2.

It's just 6 & 7 are for birds and buck shot is for.... bucks?

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I have never got to hunt deer with dogs and buckshot but it's the one of things I have always wanted to do.

I patterned a lot of buckshot just to see what it will and won't do. A lot of you guys have no idea what a good shotgun and buckshot will do.

You guys should watch Bubba rountree outdoors on YouTube. Those fellows are deer killers with buckshot.

Dink

IC B2

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
40 yards max

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DINK
I have never got to hunt deer with dogs and buckshot but it's the one of things I have always wanted to do.

I patterned a lot of buckshot just to see what it will and won't do. A lot of you guys have no idea what a good shotgun and buckshot will do.

You guys should watch Bubba rountree outdoors on YouTube. Those fellows are deer killers with buckshot.

Dink

Bubba and his crew are slinging buckshot at deer 100 yards away. He came on my radar with his videos about patterning for coyotes. After watching that screwed up mess I watched some of his deer videos. I think he got his screen name honestly...

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Would 5, .440 dia. round balls qualify as buckshot?

If not, never mind. Please disregard.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by MOGC
Originally Posted by DINK

Dink

Bubba and his crew are slinging buckshot at deer 100 yards away. He came on my radar with his videos about patterning for coyotes. After watching that screwed up mess I watched some of his deer videos. I think he got his screen name honestly...

True. They do shoot at deer way to far.

Look at the ones they shoot 40 yards and under.

They seem to have a little knowledge of chokes and shot sizes so I'm not sure why they are throwing those 80 yard shots.

Dink

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Because they're "Bubba's"?

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Oldman03
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
You fellows don't have a clue!!

Rick, I'd like to see them in a good palmetto flat, a 5 yr cut over, a good pine thicket, etc. with dogs running a deer.

Over a 5 year period of time my friend from Alabama and I tested all different types of buckshot through standard chokes that are available. The usual consensus is that 'open chokes' were required for shooting buckshot and that turned out to be horse schitt! The most effective thing we discovered after shooting many many patterns at various ranges out to 60 yards was a full-choked vent-ribbed barrel on a 26" Model 870 using 000! It delivered the best patterns out to 60 yards.

I guess all those bucks I killed in Alabama died from fright! And anyone that has ever hunted in SE Alabama knows what the terrain is like! When the hurricanes come up through that area of pine timber it lays criss-crossed pine trees down that are nothing but a jungle of briars and 'wait a minute' thickets and rifles are about as much use as a fart in a whirlwind!! And I won't even tell you how far I've seen my buddy Ned kill running bucks with 000!! None went over 50 yards from where first hit either!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What kind of buckshot? What kind of shotgun? What kind of choke? Did you pattern it?

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Winchester 3" Mag!

The rest is above!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
Why anyone would use buckshot, or a shotgun for deer is beyond me.

I can see it if forced by some dumba$$ law, but given a choice, not only no, fuuk no.........

Evidently you never had to hunt deer in a thicket. Have you ever hunted deer with running dogs?

Have hunted in the thickest $hit anyone would ever care to hunt in. A nice little lever action, carbine or big bore handgun are much handier than any shotgun will ever be.....

I had a nice SxS shotgun chucking 000 and never failed to kill a deer , I want to see the carbine,big bore handgun whatever except maybe a mini gun get on point faster and kill what they pointed at .

Here you go:

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I'm finished with this post! It's quite apparent that some posters here are intellectually disarmed!!

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
rlott,

When those Ruger .44 magnums came out I bought two. I couldn't hit a fifty-five gallon drum from twenty-five yards with either.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by rlott
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Why anyone would use buckshot, or a shotgun for deer is beyond me.

I can see it if forced by some dumba$$ law, but given a choice, not only no, fuuk no.........

Evidently you never had to hunt deer in a thicket. Have you ever hunted deer with running dogs?

Have hunted in the thickest $hit anyone would ever care to hunt in. A nice little lever action, carbine or big bore handgun are much handier than any shotgun will ever be.....

I had a nice SxS shotgun chucking 000 and never failed to kill a deer , I want to see the carbine,big bore handgun whatever except maybe a mini gun get on point faster and kill what they pointed at .

Here you go:

[Linked Image]

By the time you acquire a sight picture with your scope or even using iron sights ,my deer is on the ground kicking its last . I filled a small cargo container with deer killed with all kinds of buckshot that we were forced to use as a kid. I have absolutely no qualms of having to use it ever again if regulations changed.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
I'm finished with this post! It's quite apparent that some posters here are intellectually disarmed!!

+1000

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
A few years ago I experimented with different loads in a few shotguns and fianally found a really great load of 000. It patterned all 10 pellets in about a pie plate at 35 yards. I thought wow, finally. Then I had a thought, why not just use a slug? Sometimes I think the advantage of buck shot is not to get a really small pattern. Too small and it becomes diminishing returns, obviously vis versa also. I get it, that in some areas you have to use buckshot no matter what.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How are pellets outside a deers vital area helpful? Seems to me that if my pattern were larger than 12" - 16" I'm wasting precious pellets. How many 000/00 pellets does it take to reliably kill deer cleanly? Just to be on the safe side, maybe 4 or 5? Then there is all that brush in the way and of course distance and the pattern opening up is a consideration. May have some bone to break. I'd rather have a center dense more concentrated pattern than a wide pattern to try to get as many pellets through cover and into the vitals as possible. Pellets in the gut or leg or whizzing through the brush completely missing the deer do no good. In fact, I think I'd work with Number 1 Buck for a close range load. Many more .30 caliber pellets would seem better to me than about half as many .32/.33 caliber pellets.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 61 invisible), 2,568 guests, and 1,121 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,315
Posts18,468,365
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.