Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#11547269 11/01/16
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
On PBS now.........

Those that know what Chosin is will know.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Great film footage

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks. Got it recording. It's a too often forgotten facet of military history. My father was there. He never liked cold again.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
My original co. 1st Sgt was there. Had his class "A's" on under his utilities!!!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Wife has an uncle who is still there, never been found.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A fellow tool and die maker and I were talking one day.
I said something about Army 10th and he turned and walked away quickly.
I'd known him for 15 years .......ate lunch and took breaks.
I meant 10th mountain division.

He heard 10th Army.......who left him at Chosin.......he came back in a few minutes with red eyes and explained...........

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
coming on in 30 minutes in Arizona

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I had an uncle who was a Navy Corpsman who was with the Marines at Chosin. It wasn't until very late in life that he even really even talked of being there. He spoke of how bitter cold it was, the intense fight, the rough situation the Marines were in, and how he learned to ditch the Red Cross on his helmet and medic bag as the Chinese would target medics. While being a medic he wasn't supposed to carry a weapon and use it to he said "there was enemy everywhere and I had to do what I had to do to survive." He ended up with two Purple Hearts and one Bronze Star from the Chosin campaign.

My uncle spoke quite a bit about how cold it was. He said they couldn't have fires to keep warm, and it was like 20 below zero. Sleeping in small, slit trenches, covered with tarps, covered in snow. For several weeks. With very little supplies. How he would patch up a badly wounded solider who would then go back to the lines to fight because the solider was gonna likely die from his injuries anyway so the soldier would rather die fighting then die on a stretcher at the aid station. And the wind. The fog - so foggy, that air drop resupplies were not possible. And how many Air Force pilots, flying in the fog trying to drop supplies, would crash into the hillside. He then hugged my Dad in salute to the Air Force pilots as my Dad was a career Air Force pilot (although he wasn't there flying at Chosin). They were in those condition for several weeks, surrounded by "100,000 pissed off Chinese." He said the Chinese even had it worse the the Marines had it. He said, at times, that when you shot, there were so many Chinese, you couldn't help to not hit them.

He said they recovered as many of the US soldiers dead bodies they could from the battlefield and took them with them on their fight southward (as they were surrounded by those 100,000 Chinese) toward safety of the United States front line.

He also spoke of how hard it was to see his fellow Marines bodies, frozen solid in grotesque positions, bouncing along behind the trucks, having been lashed with ropes together in long lines behind the trucks in the convoy as the wounded were inside the trucks. He said as the roads were bomb cratered, that they would use the Chinese bodies as fill material for the craters and simply drove over them as they couldn't dig in the frozen ground to get and dirt to fill in the craters, all the while, fighting of ambushes much of their route out while doing what they could to survive.

My Uncle, being from Idaho, when he got out of the service, moved to Las Vegas as he said he couldn't tolerate the cold anymore after being at Chosin and lived in Vegas the rest of his life. He became a school teacher. He died in 2007 and is buried at the National Cemetary near Henderson, Nevada.

Oddly, he told me about his experience about a year or so before he died. When I was growing up, I had no idea what he had went through. I never even knew he was in the military. I just thought he was a quiet, rather short, thin, school teacher.

His name was Bruce Kenney. RIP Uncle Bruce.

"Successful is leaving something in better shape than you inherited it in. Keep that in mind, son." Dad
RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We studied it extensively at Command and Staff college. The level of misery that those men went through, and the ability to persevere despite that misery is unfathomable in US society today. My deployments to Iraq and Afghanistan was a cakewalk compared to what happened at the Chosin Reservoir.

Learning about this campaign from my best friend's father at a young age, was one of the markers that made me decide to join the Marine Corps later on.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I have heard that the Chosin battle was the most fierce and brutal battles the American military ever faced.

I guess that would happen when they were outnumbered by like 8:1, in awful conditions, with little re supply or relief, for weeks

"Successful is leaving something in better shape than you inherited it in. Keep that in mind, son." Dad
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

595 members (10GaugeKS, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 1_deuce, 61 invisible), 2,215 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,285
Posts18,448,691
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.