Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Terryk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Some guy needs cash and he has a number 1 in hornet unfired, what is a good price. It may be a number 3? I thought hornets were in a #3 but I don't follow Ruger single shots. I just want to help the guy out and not get burned

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I never have really warmed up to the #3, but I would guess $600-$700 for one of them.

The #1 - assuming good condition, the wood quality will influence things a lot. I have heard several folks say the #1 Hornets are usually very good shooters. Say $800-$1100

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It all depends on what it actually is and what shape it's in, how nice the wood is, how motivated seller and buyer are, etc. etc.

In order of rarity and value:

No. 3 - pretty common and not everyone's cup of tea. No more than $550 in my book

1B - made for a number of years, but still not that common. Up to $950 or so given the disclaimers above

1A - the rarest of the Ruger single shots inn 22 Hornet(~300 made in the late '80s). $1100-1350 would b a current guess

Last edited by gewehrfreund; 10/21/16.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Based on Gunbroker listings I've seen, the price difference between 1s and 3s in that condition ain't that much, even though the 1s are much, much nicer. The 3s do make up into a very nice custom.

If it's a Number 1, $800 or $900 would be much more than he'd get selling to a dealer. $1000-$1300, depending on wood, would be a typical GB price. If you offer him $900, he'd have no reason to think you're trying to skin him.

What fresh Hell is this?
Terryk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks guys.
He was talking 1000.00, and I really don't think I want to take the risk. I guess a gunshop said 750, and he did not accept that. I would be reselling it, so I would be like a non profit pawn shop. I don't want it because I am trying to own less guns that I never fired.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If it's a Number 1, not a 3, and you wanted it, I'd say go for it. Since you don't really want it, let him take his chances with GB. If he's not in a hurry, he may make out better, and you won't get stuck.

I have to say though, that a good Hornet is a real joy to own and shoot. I think I'd let my .22LRs go before mine.

What fresh Hell is this?
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
You might take a little time to peruse the "sold" No.1's on various auction sites. Also note how many do not sell at their asking pricing.

The hornet in the no.1 has been made for a while, perhaps in two different time frames in the last 20 years or so. Odd, that they in hornet did not sell well; now all of a sudden there is more of a market seemingly. Is it a true market? not sure here; so everyone has to think a little.

Locally here, I have never seen a no.1 sell in real money for more than 700 in the last 30 years and it was an early non prefix with vertical bases in pristine condition.......but common caliber.

My local gunshops shy away from buying no.1's unless in the 400 or less range, just really slow movers for them.

My last 22lr conversion was done on a hornet No.1B, guess that beauty of the no.1 is that the action/stock can house almost any cartridge you would want........so tis a very versatile donor.

I am not a reseller, but would hate to put more than 600 into any no.1; these guns come and go at the local gunshops; most stay a long time at numbers above 600. Just the way it is here.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I had a Ruger #1B in 22h. Bought it new in the early 1990s. Believe I paid about $900.
It was not accurate at all and went away.

NRA Patron
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have not seen a NO.1 for $600 in years, unless it was beat up

I am one gun away from happy
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
$1000 sounds like a good deal for an unfired 1B in .22 Hornet. Mine is one of my most accurate rifles.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bought my #1-B used and have really come to enjoy it. I have never really worked to nail down the best groups it can do with 40 grain jacketed stuff. However, I rather accidentally discovered a very fine shooting 22 rimfire load for mine. It uses a 55 grain cast GC bullet....unsorted Lyman bullets sized .225, lubed with Rooster HVR softened with a bit of Alox. The powder is Lil'Gun at the volume the Little Dandy measure throws from the #5 rotor, about 5.5 grains +/-. I originally found the load lit with Federal 205 small rifle primers. Looking for possible improvements I tried both the CCI 450 magnum small rifle primer and the Remington 1 1/2 pistol primer. The 450 blows up groups, but the 1 1/2 is probably close to perfect, making 50 yard groups that stay close enough to create one ragged dime-sized hole after a dozen shots, with one or two drifting alone inside a rabbit-head-sized area.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Klik,

Got my 1B in 2003 and it's always been one of my most accurate mid-range varmint rifles. Ruger started hammer-forging their own barrels in the early 1990's, and while consistency improved immediately, hammer-forging does take some practice, and after a few years the barrels started getting really good.

If I use benchrest-style handloading techniques mine will put five 40-grain plastic-tips well under 1/2" at 100 yards, and 10-shot groups with about any 40-grain will go under an inch, and depending on the load 3/4". Cast-bullet loads run about like yours--except mine are from a 44-grain Lyman gas-check mold. Tried several variations and it turned out the best accuracy was with unsized bullets without gas-checks, lubed with Alox, and 5744 with CCI 500's. With jacketed bullets and a case full of Li'l Gun or Alliant 300-MP, CCI 450's work best.

I used to have a wide selection of No. 1's. The Hornet is the last one left, but ain't planning on selling it anytime soon.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Price varies by locality and other things. Just the way things are. Some places the prices are out of sight, other places the same rifles are way less expensive.

I agree that Ruger barrels have improved over the past decade or so. Having a premier barrel maker driving their shop has been a good thing.

The No.1 can be made into almost anything, they kinda grow on you in time.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
A buddy of mine who used to live in Texas made extra money buying used No. 1's in one section of the state and selling them for considerably more in another. He traveled frequently to both parts of the state and did pretty well!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
A buddy of mine who used to live in Texas made extra money buying used No. 1's in one section of the state and selling them for considerably more in another. He traveled frequently to both parts of the state and did pretty well!

I don't guess you'd like to volunteer the "buy" part of the state, would you? grin

Honestly, a black pad #1 with nice wood is arguably one of the more desirable variants, IMO. They seem to be consistently good shooters.

After Aoudad hunting I'm planning to start working back on a couple of #1's, for whitetail season. Probably the .38-55, and maybe the .218 Bee, too.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
TerryK: I and a friend came across a MINT Ruger #1-B in 22 Hornet this summer at a small gun show in SW Montana.
If my friend would not have shown interest in it I would have bought it.
This Ruger #1-B had VERY good wood and came as new with rings and the original box.
It obviously had been shot VERY little.
My friend paid $850.00 for the gun.
He has not shot it as yet.
Again if my friend had not wanted it and bought it at that price "I" would have.
I bought one of these Ruger #1-B's in 22 Hornet, new, many years ago. It was "difficult" to get to shot (group) well.
After many trials and tribulations I finally got it to shoot groups (five shots at 100 yards) measuring in the 7's and 8's (.7" to .9") with Varmint bullets.
Prior to that it shot 1.5" to 2.0" groups there at 100 yards with dozens of different loads/bullets!
If my Rifle did not have such lovely wood on it I would have sold it long ago.
My Rifle's "twin" bought in the same year, which is in caliber 218 Bee, shot well right from the get go!
Both Rifles have Leupold 6x18 variable scopes on them for your comparison.
I wish I could give you a more definitive appraisal, price wise, for you friends #1-B but they are kind of rare.
I have NO idea what that 22 Hornet would be worth in the #3 configuration - never owned one and never wanted one of those in any caliber.
Best of luck to you in your dealing.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My Hornet, a Browning purchased about 2000, was very disappointing with the two factory loads I bought at the same time, but responded very well to my first efforts at handloading. Right after I got it, Ross Seyfried did a pair of articles in successive issues of Rifle and Handloader that helped get me on track.

Ross emphasized that little things mean a lot when dealing with the tiny case. He also suggested neck-sizing and small pistol primers for most loads, LilGun excepted. Since I had H110 on hand, that's what I started with and where I've stayed, although LilGun offers lower pressures and higher velocity. My current project, if I can ever get back to it, is to turn the Hornet into a combination squirrel/turkey slayer with Speer 46gr flatpoints over a light load of 2400. Early tests are pretty promising.

One good thing about my Browning (and the Rugers) is that with no magazine to contend with, bullets can be seated way out there where they belong.

What fresh Hell is this?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
692 members (1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 70 invisible), 2,797 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,632
Posts18,398,825
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.