Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Hello everyone,

I am starting this topic to discuss Lapua Naturalis bullets. These are lead-free bullets that seem to be popular in Scandinavian countries but are not aswell-known here. I have experimented with these bullets in my big Lazzeroni 8.59mm Titan rifle and have developed a very accurate load.

I was wondering if anyone else has experience with these bullets?

Thanks,
-Omid

Lazzeroni L2000 Rifle
[Linked Image]

Lapua Naturalis bullets (0.338)
[Linked Image]

Lazzeroni 8.59 Titan (0.338) cartridge next to a 270 round and a 243 (red dummy)
[Linked Image]

Loaded cartridges
[Linked Image]

Sample 100 yard group
[Linked Image]

HR IC

O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Looks like nobody is interested yet.. Here is the information page on Lapua website:

Lapua Naturalis

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I'm interested, I just have not worked with them yet.

I am still developing loads with Lapua brass & 155 Scenars in my 308's. And, I did not want to skew your thread by talking about Scenars.

So, following with interest.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have considered them for my Sweede. But I am too tight to pay the $$$on an unknown. Will be following this thread.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Thank you for your support. Glad to see that others are interested in these bullets smile

I have so far loaded these only in .338 caliber: 338 Winchester Magnum and 8.59 Titan (almost like a 338 Lapua). It worked excellent in the Lazzeroni 8.59 rifle and I got two groups about 0.6 inches each. So I will continue using these bullets for this rifle.

For 338 WM, I shot 6 rounds and they hit below the paper target (the loads are mild, about 2400 f/s). The problem is these 231 grain bullets produce heavy recoil in my light .338 WM rifle so they are my 2nd choice. For this rifle, my first choice are 130 gr Lutz Moller bullets.

I have ordered Lapua Naturalis bullets in 7mm and 0.30 caliber too. I will load them soon and will share the results.

[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm watching with interest too. The only one I can try right now is the 140 gr 6.5mm for my 264 Win Mag. We do also have a 260 Rem and 6.5x55 in the house but really would like to see what the 264 does. I wish they also made a 277 and 358 version, maybe one day.

Gerry.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Sorry.... but everytime I see the name of that bullet in print I think I'm staring at a condom machine in a greasy grimy bathroom somewhere!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What is the BC on those? Couldn't they make them less blunt?

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
interested, but haven't had an opportunity in 9.3.

i think that i, like many others, are looking for reasonable value - even with lead free bullets

vires,fortitudo,vigilantia
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Omid,
Now that you have brought this up I began looking in to them. I will order some 156's for testing in my 280's.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
IC B3

O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Hello everyone,

I have been traveling in the past few days so I did not have a chance to do any reloading but I will do a first set of loads soon. I am very glad hearing that other members are interested in these bullets too.

As we move forward, I will load these in 7mm Mag, 7X64 Breneke, 300 Win Mag and 300 Weatherby using the following process:

1- Assume that Norma MRP is 'close to' VihtaVuori N-165.

2- Figure out approximate charge of Norma MRP from loads listed in Lapua Naturalis Official Loads.

3- Compare load suggested from Step 2 to loads listed in latest Norma reloading handbook to make sure they are safe and within range.

4- Full-length resize some fired brass cases (12 to 18 rounds) for each caliber. (the loads are intended for hunting)

5- load 3 cartridges with A grains of powder, then another 3 with A+1 grain, another three with A+2 grain, etc. Mark the cartridges with a marker pen indicating their charge.

6- Then go to range and test fire the loads in groups of three. After two sets of three shots, put the rifle aside and test loads for a different caliber. This way, the rifles get a chance to cool down between shots.

Once a good load is found for a specific caliber, load the same charge in new brass (5 rounds) and test again. If all is well, load 20-50 rounds and keep for hunting/shooting.

-Omid

Last edited by Omid; 11/09/16.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Fotis
What is the BC on those? Couldn't they make them less blunt?

These look like the new pointier ones. The old ones were even worst. These are from my .264 bullet test.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O

Thank you for posting the test pictures! Very interesting! It seems that these bullets perform very well upon impact. As another member noted, these are not designed to have a particularly high ballistic coefficient. They are designed with focus on performance on game. The relatively large frontal area (the part covered by green plastic) ensures reliable expansion.

Here is a list of the new generation of Naturalis bullets:

[Linked Image]

O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O

Hello again,

I have a questions related to reloading:

Q) I plan to reload my test rounds using previously fired brass (full-length resized). Then, once I find the right load, I want to load new brass (which can be from a different manufacturer). Is there a problem with this method? Can a good accurate load developed using re-used brass turn out not good when loaded in a new brass?

Here is a test round (empty) I made for 300 WM using new Nosler brass. This was to test C.O.L. I figured I can seat the bullet a bit longer than standard in my Sauer 202 (C.O.L. = 3.38 inches). The planned test charge is 72 grain to 76 grains of Norma MRP.

[Linked Image]

O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Looks like I am alone in this topic again! Could someone please answer my question above? Thanks! smile

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Omid,

There is a potential for having over pressure loads when working up loads with 1x brass, then loading the same load in new brass, particularly when changing brands of brass. New lots of brass by the same manufacturer can vary in thickness and brass by different manufacturers may vary a lot in thickness. Hot loads worked up w/ 1x fired brass may result in a dangerous pressure load when using new brass from a different manufacturer.

I generally buy a lot of brass, work up loads with it new, use until time to discard brass and then repeat w/ a new lot. Established loads can easily be checked with a quick powder spread work-up and a chronograph to ensure they are safe with the new brass. In my opinion it's worth checking to ensure you won't have a problem.

HTH

David

O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Hi David,

Thank you for your response. I don't generally use maximum loads but I will remember your point regarding case capacity.:)

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
my understanding is that a particular load in different brands of brass, and even different lots of the same brand, can result in variations in pressure. i would think this is not as critical an issue if you're not up to max pressure loads.
it seems the conventional wisdom is to drop back a bit and "work up" again (using a chronograph) with the new brass.

vires,fortitudo,vigilantia
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Are you talking new brass as in you bought a bunch and are keeping some back for hunting loads, or new as in your are going to buy more. The same lot, unfired brass could raise pressure. It would not be measurable.

Different lots will probably change pressures. The thing is, how much? This gets into all the possible variables, and the reason to stay back from the red line on pressure.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Thank you for the comments. I did a new series of loads and decided to use new brass. I don't think there should be any excessive pressure issue if the load is below maximum and the case has some room (whether brass is new or fired/resized before). I just want my load to have sufficient velocity and best accuracy for hunting.

Here are the load data (yet to be fired and tested):

7mm Remington Magnum: 60 - 62 grain Norma MRP, Lapua Naturalis 155 grain bullet

300 Winchster Magnum: 72 -76 grain Norma MRP, Lapua Naturalis 170 grain bullet

300 Weatherby Magnum: 82-86 grain Norma MRP, Lapua Naturalis 170 grain bullet

And here are some pictures:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
645 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 12308300, 56 invisible), 3,102 guests, and 1,212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,740
Posts18,401,149
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.