Hop To
Page 3 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 13 14
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Another poster had a good question about primers. Are you guys using magnum primers in your RL22 loads??? I generally use CCI 200's with IMR4350 and they work great. What do you guys use??

Yessir, CCI-250's, have used Fed-215's with equal accuracy and velocity.

Thanks Gunner...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
BP-B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Another poster had a good question about primers. Are you guys using magnum primers in your RL22 loads???

With both '22 & MRP.............non-magnum case = standard primer; magnum case = magnum primer.

I've never had an issue.

MM

That's also helpful. I'll have to definitely run some loads over the chrono and whichever shoots the best (velocity and accuracy), whether it's magnum or std rifle primer, that's the one I'll use...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
You're most welcome BSA. smile

Trump Won!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by SU35
Something of interest, this was some years ago............

"Winchester WXR Powder Rivals RL22 at Much Lower Cost ($13/lb)

Here’s a good deal for magnum shooters on a tight budget. If you need a quality, slow burn-rate powder suitable for large-capacity cartridges, check out Winchester WXR powder. Production of WXR has been discontinued, but quantities are still available. PrecisionReloading.com has 8-lb jugs of Winchester WXR for $104.49, which works out to just $13.06 per pound. Grafs.com has 1-lb containers of Winchester WXR for $13.99, on “close-out” pricing (limited quantities, no back-orders). Winchester WXR is a Swedish-made, double-base, slow-burning extruded propellant used in larger-size cartridges. WXR is an excellent choice for the .25-06, .270 Win, .30-06, 7mm Rem Mag, 300 Win Mag, 7mm WSM and 300 WSM cartridges. Some industry observers have suggested that Winchester WXR is virtually the same as Alliant Reloder 22. We can’t confirm that, but the load recipes are similar. Keep in mind that, at $13.06 per pound, WXR is nearly six bucks per pound cheaper than Reloder 22 (in 5-lb containers).

The Reload Bench’s Burn Rate Comparison Chart shows WXR having a burn rate very close to Vihtavuori N165 and IMR 7828. In tests with a .25-06, WXR delivered velocities 30 to 60 fps higher than Reloder 22, with equal loads grain for grain (see WXR vs. RL22 report). In the .25-06, the WXR was slightly more energetic than Reloder 22, so a max load with WXR proved to be about 1.0 grain lower than a RL22 max load. Another WXR user writes: “I’ve been using it for the last three years in my 7 STW, 7mm Mag, 300 WSM, 300 Win Mag, .30-06 and .270 Win. It chronographs nearly identical to Reloder 22, so keep that in mind when working up loads with it. From what I’ve researched about it, the company in Sweden who makes powder for Norma, also makes Reloder 22 and made Win WXR. Remember powder can vary slightly from lot to lot, so start low and work your way up.”

I ended up buying a boat load Win WXR for $12.00 a lb.

Works great too!

I also prefer 30/200's over the 180's.

I wonder how temp sensitive that powder is vs. RL22???? I could only dream of buying powder for $13.00/pound...

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I wonder how temp sensitive that powder is vs. RL22????

When does Temp sensitivity really come into play? Or matters?

When it comes to a particular distance you are shooting in the field hunting big game?
Out to 400 or maybe 500 yards. I doubt it.

I guess if I lived in Montana and developed a load in the summer and used it in the winter. But would it make that much difference in the field?

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Ive always used RL19 and while I dont get the velocities others here get, accuracy has always been stellar is several rifles.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by SU35
I wonder how temp sensitive that powder is vs. RL22????

When does Temp sensitivity really come into play? Or matters?

When it comes to a particular distance you are shooting in the field hunting big game?
Out to 400 or maybe 500 yards. I doubt it.

I guess if I lived in Montana and developed a load in the summer and used it in the winter. But would it make that much difference in the field?

Sorry, but everything makes a difference in "the field". At least it does to me. I want to be certain I'm going to put that bullet exactly where I want it. I owe that much to the animal I'm putting down. One of the reasons I work up loads in the fall/winter is because I hunt in the fall and winter... I'll also shoot in the summer and have noticed a shift in POI even at 100 yards. If you are seeing a shift at 100, you are going to see and even bigger shift at 5-600 yards. When you are shooting in "field" positions or at extended ranges, you need all the help you can get and don't need to be guessing or second guessing for that matter... Just my take on things.. Furthermore, I've noticed anomalies such as hangfires in extreme cold temps. If you develop your loads in the summer (as you say) and hunt in the winter, you are taking a risk by doing so. Why not work up a load in the fall or winter????

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
You don't have to be sorry.

The loads I hunt in the fall I work up in the fall.

How much of a shift are you REALLY seeing at 100 yds?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a question for y'all. I have a bunch of 30-06 rifles. I spent about the first 20 years of my deer hunting shooting 180 grainers at whitetails and thought they were the shizz. I switched to 165's and 150's only in my last 15 years. My question why 200's?

What are you hunting and how? What does 200 grains buy you?

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Think moose, elk, grizzly where you hunt.

Not many expanding bullets penetrate with a 200 gr Nolser Partition.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Thanks Bob, I use CCI-250 and WW brass in my '06 hell-bender loads, brass has lasted 4 firings so far with no signs of loose pockets or cracks.

Gunner-
Thanks for the quick and helpful reply. I bought a brick of the CCI-250s last month, and will use them in another trial.

I checked weights on some 30-06 Winchester and Norma brass I've got on hand. The Winchester was about 8-9 grains heavier on average.

--Bob

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Axtell,

I'm assuming you're getting the Ba rates from QuickLoad, and they don't often get enough samples of Alliant powder to get a real handle on them. As a result not only is lot variation often not accounted for, but as you noted, even when if it is, it's not to make a significant difference.

My point, however, is not what QuickLoad says, but the actual physical properties of the powder, including granule size and appearance. Plus, one higher-up at Norma admitted some of their powders (but not all) are the same as some Alliant powders made in the same factory. He said the "difference" was (he hoped) more consistency from lot to lot, perhaps accomplished through Norma's own testing, and maybe further blending than done at the original factory.

With so many obvious similarities in appearance, performance and origin, I was wondering why somebody absolutely stated that MRP and RL-22 are different powders. I'd like to know if they have proof, and if so what.

The physical properties appear to be the same....weight per kernal etc.

For all intents the powders are the same but Branded differently.

The burn rates for powder (QL) is a reference number to differentiate one powder from the other and better yet one lot of the same powder from an other.

In the QL calculation you may sometimes assign a burn rate to the powder for the program to work, usually close as listed though.

Powder burns at different rates according to the pressure.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Gee, I never knew any of that. Thanks for filling me in.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Figured you knew, but not everyone else.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I figured that out after making my dumb post. :-)

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by shaman
I have a question for y'all. I have a bunch of 30-06 rifles. I spent about the first 20 years of my deer hunting shooting 180 grainers at whitetails and thought they were the shizz. I switched to 165's and 150's only in my last 15 years. My question why 200's?

As mentioned some of us live in areas where bigger creatures are plentiful. I'm sure one could do fine with lighter bullets, but I don't really see a downside to 200gr Partitions when the main focus is moose and/or elk. Pretty much everywhere I hunt has opportunities for those guys and even when I am out hunting for deer I can bump into a moose or elk. There are also lots of grizzlies around, especially in really good moose and elk areas, so it is comforting to have a heavier bullet ready to go.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by shaman

My reason is I have too many damn hunting rifles, I build one load [save solids for big bores] for each rifle that will work for ANYTHING a man may point that cartridge at, in this case, the '06, a 200 gr Partition will kill elk and small deer with the same level of familiar efficiency.

Too many loads, too many zero hold points to remember, one gun, one load.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by BullShooter
Thanks Bob, I use CCI-250 and WW brass in my '06 hell-bender loads, brass has lasted 4 firings so far with no signs of loose pockets or cracks.

Gunner-
Thanks for the quick and helpful reply. I bought a brick of the CCI-250s last month, and will use them in another trial.

I checked weights on some 30-06 Winchester and Norma brass I've got on hand. The Winchester was about 8-9 grains heavier on average.

--Bob

10-4 Bob, if the WW cases are that much heavier, of course their internal capacities will be smaller, may raise your pressures [velocities] a little.

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
A question for the 06 users of 200 gr NPT - can you get 2700 with other powders than Re 22 with 24" barrels? Looking at the load data, and even assuming most are less than 60k psi, I don't see many loads breaking 2600. I'm ok with running max+ loads for the 06 but don't want to redline it.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yes, my NULA's 24" barrel gets 2700 using Hodgdon's published maximum load of H4831SC, with excellent accuracy.

I can also personally attest the 200 Partition works fine on Montana big game from pronghorn to elk.

Last edited by Mule Deer; 11/06/16.
Page 3 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
689 members (257 roberts, 10gaugemag, 222Sako, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 222ND, 75 invisible), 2,774 guests, and 1,326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,628
Posts18,398,765
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.