Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]
Continue!

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am not a fan of Hawking's current position on information lost or not lost in black holes, but I am still a fan of Hawking radiation. I look forward to a time when there is nothing but low frequency photons. Without mass, there will be no time.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Bluing doesn't cause copper fouling, rough bores cause copper fouling.

You have a blued barrel that happens to copper foul.

Correlation does not imply causation.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Bluing doesn't cause copper fouling, rough bores cause copper fouling.

You have a blued barrel that happens to copper foul.

Correlation does not imply causation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Correlation_does_not_imply_causation

While it is not the case that correlation is causation, simply stating their nonequivalence omits information about their relationship. -Edward Tufte

Crow hunter, because you offer no calculations and/or data to support the two assumptions in your first sentence, I think your post would fall into what professor Tufte is calling "simply".

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Firing the rifle is the cause.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B2

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by woodson
[Linked Image]
Continue!

I heard he actually had a date last week.

He was later found with dislocated arms, a broken leg, broken glasses, a dislocated jaw, and 4 broken ribs.

It is theorized his date stood him up.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by RWE
Originally Posted by woodson
[Linked Image]
Continue!

I heard he actually had a date last week.

He was later found with dislocated arms, a broken leg, broken glasses, a dislocated jaw, and 4 broken ribs.

It is theorized his date stood him up.

Chuckle, chuckle, ha ha ha ha!!

I hope the OP got the answer before this thread was derailed. Sorry for my part in it.

Last edited by butchlambert1; 11/07/16.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
rough bores cause copper fouling not hot or cold bluing unless you let the bluing salt stay in the bore and it caused rust and pitting.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by bea175
rough bores cause copper fouling not hot or cold bluing unless you let the bluing salt stay in the bore and it caused rust and pitting.

+1 Correct answer!

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Doesn't blueing increase drag on polished metal surfaces? If so, would this indicate that the surface is rougher when blued than when polished? I believe that blueing is a rust process and not a coating. The surface is affected and this might cause some extra roughness over a surface that is polished. What ever the cause, the copper fouling is easier to see when the bore is blued. I don't remember the plugs coming out of the bore when hot blueing, but it's been a long time. We tried not to blue the bore back then.

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I guess you could call rust bluing a rust process. What about the SS barrels with the same copper??

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
There is a local Smith that blues a lot of barrels. I asked him about plugging the bore, he said don't worry about it a couple of patches with JB and it will be gone. I have two that he blued and it seems he was right.

Originally Posted By: P_Weed

I never met a gun I didn't like.

SEdge,

I have an AMT Hardballer I can fix you up with.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Seems like all evidence of bluing would be gone quickly with the firing of a few rounds.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Hamrick
Thanks for the reply. I am trying to decide between Douglas and PAC-Nor.

That ain't even a choice - Pac-Nor is it hands down. I have more Pac-Nor barrels than any other including Brux, Criterion, Douglas, Hart, Kreiger, Schneider, Shilen, and Pac-Nor is right there among the most accurate. Their installation is good too boot.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Kinda like Chebbys and Ferdges. We like different brands for our own different reasons.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What makes you so sure about THAT? Can you prove it?😜

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wonder if good ole Dyna Bore Coat would help that fouling problem?

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Hamrick
Anybody use their service for barrel installation? If you have what was your thoughts on quality and finish?

I've had both Pacnor and Douglas and they both shot very good, I doubt you would be able to tell much difference in accuracy between them.

Pacnor bores are lapped and Douglas bores are not lapped, which is a difference. Douglas fouled a lot, as much as factory barrels, and Pacnor very little.

Pacnor installed mine and did a very nice matte finish blue, a local smith blued and installed my Douglas.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've had Douglas do a couple barrel installs for me a fast twist 243 and fast twist 204. Both guns were done in bead blasted stainless steel and the final cost with shipping was like $650. On their installls they use the xx air gauged barrels so they should be good. Both of the guns have been extremely accurate and I have had no problems. I have shot them both to foul cleaned them and didn't have a problem at all after that.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

97 members (300_savage, 01Foreman400, 257robertsimp, 338Rules, 16penny, 13 invisible), 1,163 guests, and 763 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,057
Posts18,463,235
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.