24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yeah, I know... my confidence is low (grins)...

E, 5% is just a number I use to quantify what my eyes show me from Ultravids to Trinovids. No doubt some optic's lab could quantify it exactly. I'm just using that admitedly subjective number to give an idea in an internet discussion the difference as I perceive it. That's all. They are slightly brighter. 3%, 5%... dunno. Worth the price difference? That's something only a guy and a wallet can answer...

BP-B2

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
You guys might look at Buttler Creek flip up covers,I have them on my 10x42 BN and 8x32 LXL and they work good.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I upgraded from Trin's to ultravids.

1) HUGE weight difference - this is the primary reason I sold the trin's.

2) Clear - I jumped from 10-42's to 8x32's.... Great, great set of glass.

Spot

BMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Leica 8X42 Trinovids are listed at 31 ounces and 8X42 Ultravids are 28 ounces. Not exactly a HUGE weight difference, especially with binocular suspenders, which most hunters seem to use these days.

D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D

Good idea on the flip covers..... do you recall the sizes you're using for the 10x42's?

IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Leica created a near-masterpiece when they introduced the new-generation Trinovid back in the early 1990s. It was, and is, an excellent binocular. I bought a set of 8x32s back in 1995 to replace my first-generation Leica Trinovid 7x35s, and the difference in optical quality was noticable right away. The only thing that Leica left on the table when they came out with the new Trinovid was ergonomics. The new version was heavier, more slippery to handle, and those collapsing eyecups could be vexing to deal with at times. But they were the toughest binoculars on the planet, excellent optically, and they were of the highest quality all-around.

Then came the Ultravid, and this time, Leica did everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, right. I suppose they'll upgrade it at some point in the years to come, but as of right now, the Leica Ultravid represents the very best binocular technology in existence today. It is THE state-of-the-art, top-end binocular as of 2007, and everything else isn't quite as good, it's just as simple as all that. Make no mistake about it, the Ultravid (new lense coatings) IS noticable brighter than the Trinovid, plus it now has a light, tough magnesium body (rather than aluminum) and a titanium hinge pin. The rubber exterior armoring is much grippier than the hard, slick Trinovid coating is, the binocular itself is smaller, the the new eyecups lock in place and will not inadvertently collapse on you like the Trinovids could, and would. In the laboratory, it may only be 5% brighter than the Trinovid, but that happens to be a very BIG 5%, and the difference is noticable right away, particularly early and late in the day.

All things considered, the Ultravid is, by a considerable measure, Leica's finest binocular ever, and it's well worth the difference in price over the Trinovid..........

AD

"The placing of the bullet is everything. The most powerful weapon made will not make up for lack of skill in marksmanship."

Colonel Townsend Whelen
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
All due respect to our friend Brad, but I'd point out that a guy named Barsnes has kinda hinted that he couldn't see a difference in the larger Ultravids over the older BN as far a image sharpness goes.
Then there is another guy called Matt in Virginia that literally owns all three in the 8X42 size, a BA, a BN and an Ultravid. He's stacked them, until he couldn't use them from eye strain. He's had lots of friendds do the same. He and his friends can't see any difference.
The 8X32 size is well known to be another animal. Might be different with them.
I'd look at the size and weight difference. In fact, I'd buy the larger 10X50 size in the Ultravid instead of the smaller 10X42 in the BN just to reduce weight and get the advantages of the 5mm exit pupil (less eye strain). Or maybe you do lots of walking and hate extra weight. Then an Ultravid would be better.
It really should be decided by you. Buy both from Doug and return the one you don't want after 30 days for a full refund. For that kind of money I'd want the one that had just what I wanted.
I bought a BN, not an Ultravid, simply because they are heavier since I was buying a 12X50 which needs all the help it can get to keep it steady. E

I'm liking you're idea of the 10x50 Ultra's and having Doug send me both for a side-by-side. I'll have to see if he has a set of Demo 10x50 Ultra's for sale.
I think (based on everyones comments so far) that unless I can get a great deal on a 10x50 Ultra, I'll probably go with the BN 10x42's. I could maybe see myself spending the extra $ on more glass in a svelt package, but not on the same 10x42 size.
Even though the 10x42 BN's are a little bulkier compared to the same size Ultra's, the difference there isn't a big concern to me. I may lean towards the Ultra 10x42's if Doug can hook me up with demos for the same money as new BN's though.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
For me, flip-up covers are annoying. A friend's got em and I can't like them but they do work.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
BMR,

I went from a Trin 8x42 to a Ultravid 8x32

That would be 31 oz. to 19 oz.. it is Huge.

Spot

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Thanks Matt. That is possible. There is a small, probably a very small difference in production runs, even for Leica.
OK, guys. At this point, it seems a guy needs to get his hands and some and look for himself.
BTW, by 8X42 BA scales 35 ozs. with the strap. E

IC B3

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I would very interested in what you decide. I suggest you try using both hand held from sitting and standing to see what you think. However you would use them while hunting. Barsness has stated flatly that he refuses to use a 10X40/43 for hunting. He much prefers the 10X50's. I suspect it's because of the image shake issue and the ability of the eye to "roam around" inside the larger exit pupil more comfortably. I'd play with each for as long a period a time as I could over a period of several days. E

BMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes, that is pretty significant. But, you're not comparing apples to apples if you are comparing the weight differences between Trinovids and Ultravids when you compare a 42mm objective to a 32 mm objective. In like size objectives, the weight differences between Trinovids and Ultravids are nominal. Comparing the 32mm Trinovid and Ultravid, one is 22 ounces and the other is 18, again, not enough to make a lot of difference, IMO.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I could have represented the objective change better, yes.

At the end of the day I hardly noticed any loss of light with the 32's. In fact the gain from 32 to 42 with most high quality binoc's are not a significant factor but the weight is much more so.

In the end I never slung 42's on my neck long term due to the weight. For whatever reason I can carry the 32's with very little problem.

Spot

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
http://www.zeiss.de/C12567A800347580/Emb...sch_11_2006.pdf

accroding to what I could translate on this link the trinovid transmission for day and night was around 81%, but I know ROE DEER could straighten me out on the exact numbers..

the Ultravid was 89% day and 88% for night

I dont quite understand how they measure "day" and "night"

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
My best guess would be that they did what the DEVA testers did. You duplicate the spectrum of light for both daylight and twilight, they are different, and pass it through the binocular. Then you measure how much of it comes out the other end with a photo specktral meter.
If these figures are correct, the Ultravid should be noticably brighter and sharper than the Trinovid.
Did they say when each of the tested binoculars were built ? Most optics makers are continually tweaking their products to improve their performance. An older BA, for instance, may not be noticably as bright as the latest Ultravid. But a late model BN might be very close or even essentially equal. E

Last edited by Eremicus; 12/27/06.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
No,I dont remember the size of the covers,just have to go fit them.

Last edited by coues32; 12/27/06.
BMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My Butler Creek covers for my 8X42 Trinovid says "P7558 34 33 OBJ" on the inside of the caps.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
137 members (2UP, 300_savage, 257 mag, 160user, 35, 10Glocks, 12 invisible), 1,813 guests, and 827 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,776
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.