Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Wife shot a decent 6 point on Saturday. Bullet was the 245 PB. Shot was about 30 yards broadside. Deer ran about 30 yards and fell dead. Shrapnel all through the heart. Nothing on the other side of the heart. No branches were hit. .50 cal TC with 53 grains of Blackhorn (by weight)

Today I shot a deer with the same bullets. 25 yard shot with zero chance of hitting a branch. Deer took off acting like it wasn't hit. After searching for 45 minutes found a small tuft of hair then worked my way out to the direction the deer ran. Found a drop of blood, then another, then slowly more. Finally a dead deer 60 yards away. Bullet hit the right side and blew up the right lung. Bullet completely exploded and biggest piece found was about 20 grains. Left lung and heart were untouched. .50 cal CVA with 70 grains weight Blackhorn.

There ain't going to be a strike 3. Next year it will be my choice of Hornady bullet with a sabot or a Barnes. Less than 6 inches penetration with any piece of the shrapnel

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I've been shooting Power Belts for about 15 years. I shoot 295gr hollow points with three 777 50/50 pellets. I get a pass through about 50% of the time. If not, I generally find it under the skin on the opposite side. I'm not going to tell you that I've never lost any deer, because I have, but it's rare. Generally they'll run, but no more than 100 yard.

This is a bullet I took out of a spike a couple of weeks ago. Got a high shoulder shot and folded him up like a wet rag. He never even took a step.

[Linked Image]

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
PB bullets are junk. Been saying it all along. I use Barnes now and they are worlds better. Not even in the same league, nor close.

I just may try some .452 Hornady 250 grain FTX in a sabot some time. Only because I load them in my 450 Bushmaster and have a nice supply on hand. But you can't go wrong with Barnes IMO.......

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If the Powerbelt is the lead version - of any size but 405gr, they are not to be used by me.

I mostly use the copper-clad HPs 295s and 348s..... sometimes the 300gr Powerbelt Platinums. But I won't buy them unless they are dirt cheap..... on closeout at Walmart every early/mid December.

My other inline uses the 300gr Hornady XTP in 44-cal.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I been killing deer for almost 50 years and have NEVER seen a bullet fragment like the last two have. Some would argue the deer died so they worked. But we thank our lucky stars we were able to recover the deer. Lesson learned.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
PB's are the sorriest muzzle loader bullets you can buy and use

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bea175
PB's are the sorriest muzzle loader bullets you can buy and use

Without question.....

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have killed quite a few elk with them with great results. However,this year having a new inline,I tried BH209 and bullets I dug out an elk and a deer look about like the photo. The deer was with a 295 gr PB and the elk with 348gr. Ones I have killed with black powder, performed like textbook mushrooms that are advertised.

Got to admit the deer I killed was very poor shot placement on my part,but it only went about 30 yards.The elk went about 20 yards.
Some one posted on here awhile back that the Aerotip PB, are meant to expand more than std hollow poitns. Next year,I will remove the plastic tip. The hollow point under it is identical to std hollow points.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They are nothing but plated lead conicals......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hmmm. I've never lost a deer or elk with .54cal 348gr PBs. Deer have all been pass throughs and elk have been mostly pass throughs but all had great blood trails. I do tend to be picky with shots and make sure I avoid the front shoulder.

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
good lord, this again? lmao. You'd think after all the posts made and the help ive offered, it would be easy to not choose the 245gr powerbelt.

Best ones you can use are the 250 & 300gr aerolites, for heavier boned animals, you'll switch to the platinum series. I really like the 338gr.

245gr conical is puny for a .50cal. Add in soft lead, huge hollow point. mmm mmm

.530" round ball * cast from powerbelts and no excuses conicals* Shot was around 50-60 yards.
[Linked Image]

Soft lead EXPANDS.

do anybody use round balls like I do=never missed a shot yet but then again I wont shoot unless I have a head shot instant kill--the ball can stay in the head don't eat that part lol

its better to have it than not have it
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by bigblock455
good lord, this again? lmao. You'd think after all the posts made and the help ive offered, it would be easy to not choose the 245gr powerbelt.

Guilty as charged. This is the first two deer the wife and I shot with muzzle loaders. Should of did some research. When I first picked up a pack thought, copper, similar to a Barnes. Buy the lighter weight because it may need more velocity to open up. Boy was I wrong, lol.
We only have 3 days left in our ML season. Today will visit a couple of stores and try to find some Barnes.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Best ones you can use are the 250 & 300gr aerolites

245gr conical is puny for a .50cal. Add in soft lead, huge hollow point. mmm mmm

Dont use a 245gr but a 250gr with a larger hollow point is ok. If you think 5gr is gunna make 2 chits worth of difference you are dreaming.

What a bunch of crap. Does CVA still send you free stuff to push this line of bull?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by marlas1too
do anybody use round balls like I do=never missed a shot yet but then again I wont shoot unless I have a head shot instant kill--the ball can stay in the head don't eat that part lol

Oh, look... a new retard.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Powerbelts have remained one of the top-3 selling ML projectiles, for like the last 25 years. The bullet benefits from not being pushed hard. I used 80 grains Goex FFF recently. That's my maximum charge - for my maximum distances are 150 yards.

Powerbelts would not keep/ maintain annually, that high retail sales rating across the USA, if they didn't do the job most-all times, when not pushed too hard or too lightly. For instance: They are not a bullet for magnum charges between 120-150 grains. They are not a bullet for 90+ grains volume charges of Blackhorn 209.

Again, don't use below 295 grains copper-clad. Don't use lead versions unless they are 405s on elk, 345 on deer. Any sized Platinum is a good bullet....ie.... 270/300/338. I have no experience using the Aerolites, but I trust poster BigBlock's advice on them.

What bullets am I taking to the woods tomorrow...... roundballs, Hornady XTP 300 in 44-cal for my Omega and Precision QT Polymer Tip 50/40 in 185 grain, which I will continue experimenting with in my 1:66 twist roundball gun. I'll reserve my 295gr Copper HP Powerbelts for muzzleloader season in December.

Everything I write about Powerbelts are only my opinion..... what I've experienced.

Last edited by GoexBlackhorn; 11/15/16.
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Local store didn't carry Barnes so picked up some Hornady 250 gr SST's. Maybe we will get lucky to shoot another deer with these before the ML season ends Friday evening. Will test fire them later today and see how accurate they are.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by GoexBlackhorn
Powerbelts have remained one of the top-3 selling ML projectiles, for like the last 25 years. The bullet benefits from not being pushed hard. I used 80 grains Goex FFF recently. That's my maximum charge - for my maximum distances are 150 yards.

Powerbelts would not keep/ maintain annually, that high retail sales rating across the USA, if they didn't do the job most-all times, when not pushed too hard or too lightly. For instance: They are not a bullet for magnum charges between 120-150 grains. They are not a bullet for 90+ grains volume charges of Blackhorn 209.

Again, don't use below 295 grains copper-clad. Don't use lead versions unless they are 405s on elk, 345 on deer. Any sized Platinum is a good bullet....ie.... 270/300/338. I have no experience using the Aerolites, but I trust poster BigBlock's advice on them.

What bullets am I taking to the woods tomorrow...... roundballs, Hornady XTP 300 in 44-cal for my Omega and Precision QT Polymer Tip 50/40 in 185 grain, which I will continue experimenting with in my 1:66 twist roundball gun. I'll reserve my 295gr Copper HP Powerbelts for muzzleloader season in December.

Everything I write about Powerbelts are only my opinion..... what I've experienced.

I think I've killed 10 elk with 348s. None got away.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
We resighted our rifles using the Hornady's 250 SST's. They are more accurate than the Powerbelts, at least in our rifles.
I cut apart one of the PB and Hornadys. The PB is all lead with a thin copper covering. The Hornady has a nice jacket that increases in thickness as it gets closer to the base. It should be a more durable bullet. Hopefully we will get another chance this year.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Overkill45
Best ones you can use are the 250 & 300gr aerolites

Dont use a 245gr but a 250gr with a larger hollow point is ok. If you think 5gr is gunna make 2 chits worth of difference you are dreaming.

What a bunch of crap. Does CVA still send you free stuff to push this line of bull?

Its not just a 5 grain difference but a completely different bullet design. The aerolite is meant to leave a large massive hole in an animal. Its more streamlined and is a longer bullet. The olkd aerotips are very short and stubby.

This was either 100 or 110gr blackhorn209 on an 80 yard shoulder shot on a buck when i first tried out the Aerolites. 250gr version. Entrance hole.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Easy to follow blood trail,
[Linked Image]

I have plenty of pictures of the 300gr aerolite in action on deer and elk, but I wont even bother posting that as it won't do any good for some folks wink
Another round ball made of powerbelts/no excuses that i used on a 175-200lb hog back in march. Soft lead, expands very easily, without a hollow point.
[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

133 members (264mag, 300_savage, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 25 invisible), 1,183 guests, and 931 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,219
Posts18,447,473
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.