Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I am considering the Browning X-bolt stainless stalker as my next rifle. Any thoughts or opinions? I hear very little about them.

GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Some love them some hate them. I have a hunter in 30-06 and it's accurate and been reliable for me, although I haven't had it in any extreme conditions.

Would I buy another? Probably not, there's better options out there for the same money (M70, 700, T3, Montana for a few bucks more).

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I hate them simply because everyone around here thinks they are the best thing since sliced bread.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Buy one, you will like it.......I have owned several and every one was super accurate and functioned flawlessly........Hb

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I literally vomit a little every time I see a Browning logo, which is about every 10min

IC B2

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Yeah the Browning Buck Mark is mighty popular, i dont have any Buck Mark logo's but i do like the red/white/blue ones....i do own an excellent A5 shotgun so i guess i need one.......lol.....Hb

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
I hate them simply because everyone around here thinks they are the best thing since sliced bread.
you must really hate Sako rifles and a bunch of Kimber Montana lovers on this site too......I dont have anything against either but I do like other brands better.......Hb

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
a-bolts have been popular for many years, and i suspect the x-bolt will carry on the tradition. my cousin kills elk and deer every year with his old a-bolt. he has a couple and couldn't be happier. a-bolts (and soon to be x-bolts) are very popular in the south and southeast, and i have seen folks hunting with them in alaska. they are known to be accurate too. get you one, it'll do just fine i suspect.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I love my hunter in 30.06, 165 serria gks go into silly small groups. You won't find a lot of love on here for them. Lots of folks disliked the Abolts and enen though the xbolt is very different, their hate carried over.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I said something once to the effect that Abolts were only popular in the south, and some southerners got mad at me at me over it. I still think it is true. You do not see Browning bolt guns being used at all around here.

And yes I am a hater. Nobody has been fuuking up bolt gun design longer than Browning........

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I know 2 people that have Browning tattoos, and guess what?????? THEY DONT OWN A BROWNING!! If you see a rebel flag flying in the back of a 1989 Chevy Z71, you better bet your azz there is a Browning logo in that back glass

With that borderline liberalist stereotype I just made, X-Bolts shoot darn good and are a great rifle. There are just say.........maybe a dozen more rifles I would choose over it.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
Buy one, you will like it.......I have owned several and every one was super accurate and functioned flawlessly........Hb

I own Sako and Kimber. It's probably those window stickers that turn my stomach so much.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Love me some Sakos, not a huge fan of those Sockos though

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Travis13
Love me some Sakos, not a huge fan of those Sockos though

I love Sako but can't stand a Seiko.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by troutfisher13111
I am considering the Browning X-bolt stainless stalker as my next rifle. Any thoughts or opinions? I hear very little about them.

I have two X-bolts, one exactly what you are considering, a stainless stalker. It is a very accurate out of the box rifle, loads easily, cycles smoothly and feeds reliably - very happy with it. Another you might want to strongly consider which is near the same price point is a Tikka T3X. Yesterday, I bought my wife a T3X Superlite in 7mm-08. Very impressed with it so far, nice camo stock, ss fluted barrel, weighs 5-15 and the action cycles smooth as butter. Good luck with your purchase.

Last edited by bludog; 11/17/16.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Like the A-Bolt, the X-Bolt has the most ridiculously over-complicated trigger of any rifle I can think of. Too many little bits and pieces. Enclosed triggers in general are bad enough, but this is ridiculous. Absolutely not something I'd want on a hunting rifle:

[Linked Image]

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Brad
Like the A-Bolt, the X-Bolt has the most ridiculously over-complicated trigger of any rifle I can think of. Too many little bits and pieces. Enclosed triggers in general are bad enough, but this is ridiculous. Absolutely not something I'd want on a hunting rifle:

[Linked Image]

You'll see this argument from some folks. However, I have never seen a post complaining about an X-bolt trigger failure. The A-bolt did have some trigger issues, this is a different design.

Just last week at our camp a new member prepared to shoot a nice buck with his Remington 700. When he flipped the saftey off it fired. Scared the pee out him. The buck froze, so he chambered another round, as he closed the bolt it fired a second time. The trigger hadn't been altered..

Last edited by Bisley; 11/18/16.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Bisley

You'll see this argument from some folks. However, I have never seen a post complaining about an X-bolt trigger failure. The A-bolt did have some trigger issues, this is a different design.

Last week at our camp a new member prepared to shoot a nice buck, when flipped the saftey off it fired. Scared the pee out him. The buck froze, so he chambered another round, as he closed the bolt it fired a second time. The trigger haddent been altered..

I guess I'm not following you... are you saying your camp member had an Xbolt misfire?

I'll grant, there was even more bits and pieces in the A-Bolt trigger than the X-bolt. I just can't see how either inspire real confidence in a rough-duty rifle. One of the biggest failures on a rifle in the backcountry is snow/rain seeping into the trigger housing and freezing. One reason an enclosed trigger is more prone to problems, especially if it has a slot-type safety (like the M700) that allows moisture in to the receiver.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Travis13
I literally vomit a little every time I see a Browning logo, which is about every 10min

Under armor logo for me...

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by Bisley

Last week at our camp a new member prepared to shoot a nice buck, when flipped the saftey off it fired. Scared the pee out him. The buck froze, so he chambered another round, as he closed the bolt it fired a second time. The trigger haddent been altered..

I guess I'm not following you... are you saying your camp member had an Xbolt misfire?

I'll grant, there was even more bits and pieces in the A-Bolt trigger than the X-bolt. I just can't see how either inspire real confidence in a rough-duty rifle. One of the biggest failures on a rifle in the backcountry is snow/rain seeping into the trigger housing and freezing. One reason an enclosed trigger is more prone to problems, especially if it has a slot-type safety (like the M700) that allows moisture in to the receiver.

Could you confirm if this was an x-bolt please. its a bit rambling.

I had a spooky incident once with my rem 700 and they had trigger recalls...

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (007FJ, 270winchester, 22250rem, 12344mag, 270wsmnutt, 3040Krag, 51 invisible), 2,209 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,239
Posts18,466,760
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.