Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
111 yard offhand shot. Pics shows exit, not entrance which was right behind shoulder on opposite side. Bang flop kill. Very impressive cartridge. It obviously hit with some authority. 250 FTX.......
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

GB1

B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Nice buck

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I'm curious about the flashlight on a 450 Bushmaster, does it double as a house gun?

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks BMT.....

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Never seen a flashlight on an AR before? You need to get out more......

IC B2

B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
Never seen a flashlight on an AR before? You need to get out more......

Illegal to hunt with in this state. I disagree with the law, but it is still there.

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Did bullet impact spine area or spine itself?

I just have not had any luck on 50 beowulf and big barnes or speer bullets being all that impresssive. Nothing has gone more than about 50 steps but I"ve never seen a bang flop. But I don't shoot bone or spine on purpose.

Just curious. ALways felt bang flop was shot placement alwyas, much more so than cartridge.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice deer, good shooting, Ken.

MM

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks Bill. I let a lotta deer pass before I finally got an opportunity at a good one. Saw that buck 2-3X but out of bow range. I honestly thought he got shot on opening day. I was highly pleased when I saw him appear in the exact same place I saw him the last 2 times.........

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Which always amazes me... folks get to locked to one stand or such....

I alwyas see this deer way over htere... well maybe the 1st time I"M not moving if need be, but 2nd time I see him there I'm for sure moving.

Hunt where the deer are, not where you think they should be.

Nice buck!

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I wish I would have took pics of the entrance hole. It was on opposite side, high shoulder, just under spine. Angling downward from 20 ft. up. He was kinda curling away. The pics were taken as he laid, untouched.

When I first saw him, I thought I may have messed up some backstraps and hit him too high. Well, the backstraps were not damaged. I hit him as high as you could probably hit him without damaging them. Spine was not broken, that I could see. If anything, it may have been broken at neck/shoulder joint. But I do not think so. The pic is a bit deceiving. The hole looks like it is higher up than it is. It was actually just under spine, not through it.

Shoulder was broken, lungs were jelly, and no doubt a good amount of shock was imparted to the spine. I never even heard him twitch.

I often shoot to anchor deer on the spot. In this case, It was done intentionally. The one neighbor is as big a drunken dickhead in existence. And his property not far away. Plus it is an open field now, with beans picked. No way of getting deer off his property without him knowing or seeing. And going over and talking to him is last thing I want to do. At least a 50% chance of me knocking his teeth out. He is one of the rudest, most belligerent men that ever lived. So I tell my buds also when I take them out, you better anchor whatever you shoot, or you can go knock on his door if you don't. I simply have no time for him, and don't tolerate being treated that way by any man. Nor do I treat anyone that way.

Anyhoo, I thought the bullet performed great. The entrance hole was really not that big. Very clean hole. But the bullet obviously expanded after hitting shoulder and did a lot of damage. The exit hole was large. And you do not normally see that much blood on the hide of the exit side when hit that high up.

I keep looking at the blood pattern on the hide. Kinda strange. The entrance side had no blood spatter on it. Normally would think he would have landed on his other side, but given the way he was turned it makes sense I guess........

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Would love to move where the deer are. But in this case, that IS where the deer were. And also because it is the far back edge of the property. Simply put, I was as close as I was going to get without tresspassing, and I do not tresspass...

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Here is one taken in same spot. I would say it isn't too bad a place to be grin
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wow..............great deer, especially for SE Michigan.

Those big caliber boolits really do a number on deer within their range; killed a bunch with a 45-70 & 444 Marlin & don't recall any ever taking a step, just DRT.

That 450 BM is a nice rifle for lower MI since the change in regulations allowing it.

MM

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Have shot many with my 444. It does about the same thing. 444 is running a 20 grain heavier bullet at about the same speed.

I have enough come ups in the scope left to get me too 500 yds. for sure. And possibly 600. Cannot remember exactly. Figured it at 44.8 moa to 600. More than enough for when I hunt the southern counties.......

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
Here is one taken in same spot. I would say it isn't too bad a place to be grin
[Linked Image]

That one would be on my wall...

Probably if you were that close to the spine the shock took him down.

I had the same thing last weekend, sounds about like the same shot angle etc... from the 300/221 subsonic. Didn't break the back, but it hit close enough to drop him.
I didnn't do that on purpose, and it surprised the heck out of me. Enough so that when he lifted his head, I plugged him in the head then.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That's a great Buck!

I'm in the process of building a 450 Bushmaster myself with some OD accents.

Tell me about that OD strip on your Handguard. What is it and who makes it?

Thanks,

Dan

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Wow..............great deer, especially for SE Michigan.

Those big caliber boolits really do a number on deer within their range; killed a bunch with a 45-70 & 444 Marlin & don't recall any ever taking a step, just DRT.

That 450 BM is a nice rifle for lower MI since the change in regulations allowing it.

MM

See thats part of my point. I've shot probably close to 50 head of game with 50 beowulf and have yet to bang flop one. Every one was hit in the ribs right behind the shoulder, in the lungs and or top of heart.

I"m sorry this is OT a bit but I think its a good discussion.

I do have hard cast 400s for the beowulf for bear protection for my wife, and when I get a load I"m going to lung thump a deer and see what gives.

But I really think if you break bone, have a fragmenting bullet and get close to the spine, it makes NO difference the caliber at all, they are going to fall. I can promise my 300/221 has not much for energy... and it gives same results if you hit close to the spine whne I have made that mistake about 3 times now.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
2 More my buddy Tommy took with his 450......

[Linked Image]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Well done 2muchgun. Very nice shot placement for a 111yd offhand shot! That is a great buck.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (1lessdog, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 1234, 61 invisible), 2,774 guests, and 1,173 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,341
Posts18,468,725
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.