Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
It usually works both ways. I was in elk camp one year where there were just two camps- very remote spot; my buddy and I in one and two older gentlemen from Tucson. One worked at Kit peak observatory and the other taught at UofA. They were both 70s. They have a main trail that they manage to kill elk on by watching the bulls coming up a ridge and intercepting them. I had a horse in camp and I didn't even ask them, I just went and packed it back to camp.

They went with me to get my elk a couple days later - I guess they felt obligated.

I have packed a lot of stuff for people that needed help over the years.

A couple of years ago I killed a small 6x7 in an OTC unit and was by myself. I saw a guy on a horse that I had heard of but not met. I asked him if I could borrow a horse for a minute. I rode one to the bull and used it to pack the meat to the road. I tied him up for about 2 hours. It would have taken me all day.

Just Saturday I had a bull down and a bad knee. As my buddy walked to the truck to get game bags he ran into a couple of guys we had met the night before. They hauled him to his truck, back to the bull, waited while I finished quartering and hauled us and the bull to his truck. I hope I can repay the favor someday.

Last edited by dennisinaz; 11/30/16.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
About 4-5 years ago I was archery hunting Colorado GMU 63. About mid morning I heard a series of bugles near where I was hunting and knew right away it was another hunter. I worked my way towards the sound and met a young guy in his mid 20's. I asked where he was camped and if he had seen anything. He stated he was just hunting for the day and was parked on the main road and had never archery hunted for elk. I told him where I was camped and then he asked if I had any hunting tips. My response was something like stay in the woods and keep on bugling.

About 1 PM that day a pickup pulled in where I was camped and this young guy gets out and says he had just shot a bull and wanted to know the best way to get his truck to the elk. I informed him that he could not get any closer than where he had parked his truck that morning but we could take my ATV along with some of my hunting partners and their ATV's.

We loaded up and went to where he had shot the elk and he says he has not found it yet' We track for about 150 yards and there is a nice 5X5 bull. We talk him through the gutting process and help here and there. Get the elk out in 1 trip on 3 ATV's and into the back of his pickup. At this point he says this was the only day he could hunt and he is home on leave from the Army and this is his first elk. Glad we could help. Tom

Last edited by TomA; 11/30/16.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When ever I meet some one nice at the local watering hole. I tell them where I am camped, get the meat skinned and off the ground, leave spare clothes around to supply human scent to dissuade varmits. Come get me and my mules, I will get it out, and get to see new country! Very few have taken up my offer! Grinns.

Last edited by Angus1895; 12/01/16.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I couldn't find you when I came off the mountain naked.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I have helped a stranger get his elk out before. End of my hunt, but I did get a tenderlion out of the deal. I had a couple guys help me get a buddies elk out after the buddy sprained his ankle. Neither of us got any meat as promised.

The problem is time to hunt is short so the afternoon or day a person helps a stranger can mean no time than to hunt. I have had people walk right past me before, and yeah any help would be nice, but it is my problem not their's. I pulled the trigger so it is my responsibility to get it out.

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
OT here... planned to hunt deer the other night... got a call, someone that knew I had a dog, called, shot a deer that morning, and could not find it. Of course I grabbed the dog, its fun watching him work a trail out.

No deer hunting for me, but we found the 10 point and had to shoot it again and then helped get it out of the creek.

They were elated for the help. I was glad to help.

I'm glad some folks do the same.

I should not force my way of life on others though. But I still feel my way follows the golden rule and when we need help, I can't recall anyone saying they could not come help.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have always been quick to help people drag a deer out. I suspect if I lived in elk country I'd be willing to jump in and help out too. But if I ever get to hunt elk, it'll be a high dollar guided hunt. If I could help in a meaningful way without sacrificing too much time/money I probably would. Otherwise, I'm sure they'd understand given the circumstances that I'd pass on the opportunity with an apology.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by huntsman22
I couldn't find you when I came off the mountain naked.

That's 'cause everyone in 3 counties heard you were naked and bugged out.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I once was driving with the family up outside of the Peoples Republic of Boulder, CO when I saw a guy on the shoulder of a steep mountain road trying to shove a very large deer into his jeep. He had no chance, I went forward a bit, made a safe u turn and pulled in behind him to offer help. He immediately dropped the deer and came toward me almost as if he was trying to hide the deer.
I asked if he wanted any help, he laughed and said he was worried I was some boulder hippie stopped to assault him for killing some poor deer that had no chance you cruel bas----. He was excited to have my help and we got it in the jeep, he lugged it up a pretty steep hill for 2/3 of a mile before I got there. He was tired, but made a good shot with his bow and knew just where the public met the private for good hunting. I've never expected help unless I brought someone along who wanted to help. I'm more like most here, if you are in need, I'll probably help, if you're demanding or an azzhat, I'll pass on by. If I'm done, I'll drink scotch in camp lightly until you need my help carrying one out.

Keep Smiling
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by rost495
I should not force my way of life on others though. But I still feel my way follows the golden rule.....

I don't think you're forcing your "way of life" on anybody. For something to be a "way of life" you have to do it fairly regularly. Or at least once. How many times have you helped pack out a stranger's elk on your back? That was the question.

If you can say "more than once" you can get away with calling it your way of life. If not, it's just a way of posting on the internet. And in the process calling others who think differently "greedy and lazy." How's that square with the golden rule?

This has been an interesting thread, lots of good stories. Most people help when they can, which is not surprising. Many also gave good reasons why they don't feel an obligation to help haul out a stranger's elk on their back, which is where I fall.

I've helped strangers drag deer out, and I've helped them trail lost animals. But that wasn't the question, and the question wasn't about hauling one out with pack animals or bringing out your dog to trail a deer.

Because hauling an elk out on your back is a different story. If you're 24, that's one thing but if you're 60 it's another. And it's not being greedy or lazy. As a matter of fact, calling a 60 year-old hunter who has the gumption to get back to where an elk has to be packed out on foot (and then pack one out) "lazy" is pretty funny.

If your hunting season is a month or two long, taking a day to help is not such a big deal. If it's 5-9 days like most are here, and you're halfway through, that's different. It's not being greedy or lazy.

If the other hunter needs the help through no fault of their own, or they're older and a young man can help out, by all means most would do that. If they're just clueless and unprepared, then they need to learn a hard lesson and they'll be no more worse for the wear.

IC B3

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
All depends on the attitude of the person I happen upon.

Long live the NRA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bumping up this thread as a reminder to do good in the woods, both to other hunters and to the animals.

If I see you out there and you need help, I'll do my best to share in the load/burden/reward of a successful hunt.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I read your post on helping pack out the old guy's elk and the ivories he sent you. Heart warming tale and needed during these difficult times. Thanks

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by huntsman22
When you have horses, nobody thinks they're a 'stranger'. "How about packing this elk out for me, old buddy old pal"?

Hey buddy, what are you doing in a couple weeks?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
going in on foot. Wanna come? bring a pack......

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
You bowhunting? Big Jon is coming down to,my honey hole. We'll prolly kill 2 or 3.

Each.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
first rifle. no ponies this year.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Off subject.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Thank you, Mr moderator.

4-wheeler then Don?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
BOOM!

I can't decide which one....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

452 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 42 invisible), 2,076 guests, and 1,125 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,762
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.