Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'd go with the small one, that big one won't get you "way back in."

You will lose some cooler space though.....

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
point taken.' Way back in', it is...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
But I'll miss the roof if it rains.....

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by huntsman22
point taken.' Way back in', it is...

You are lucky you have a guy like me to explain all this to you.

Any more questions, fire away. Did you get that scent-loc jumpsuit I told you about?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I've helped a few people pack elk that I didn't know a few times. I was already on my way out, no good reason to not help out.

A few years back I killed a good 6 point in Montana and was going back the next day to pack it. So, we decided to glass some deer country from the road on the way in for the next days or later that evening deer hunt.

Sure as heck, I glass up 3 bulls. When I got to the place I was going to park and head back in to pack the last half of my bull, 2 guys and a younger kid pull up and ask if we'd seen any elk. I told them about the 3 bulls I'd glassed about 30 minutes earlier.

They were in a place that was difficult to describe, so I just offered to take the guy with the bull permit back to the spot and put him on the bull. So, I drove back and we put about an hour long stalk on them and peeked over the hill...bedded right where I'd left them at about 250 yards. The guy was shook up a bit as he'd never killed a bull as big as the one he was about to. I talked him through it, told him to take his time, squeeze the trigger. His shot was gold, which I saw through my binoculars...but the bull did manage to stand up from his bed after the first shot. I told him to shoot it one more time and he did, shots were about 3 inches apart, right where they needed to be.

The guy and his son were very grateful I showed them where the bull was. Normally I would have stayed and helped them quarter and pack that bull too, but had my own to deal with. He didn't seem to mind that I was leaving him and his son to deal with the bull he just shot. He asked me before I walked back, "Why did you tell me about this bull, and why did you help me?". It was sort of an unexpected question, but I just said, "Because you asked if I'd seen any elk, you had a tag, and I knew where a good bull was, the better question is why not help you out?". He replied that most people wouldn't do that...we shook hands I congratulated him on his success and took off to pack the rest of my bull.

Maybe he'll get a chance someday to help someone else out...who knows.

Anyway, here's the bull I helped a complete stranger take, his best bull and likely still is his best one...

[Linked Image]

Me with the guys elk:

[Linked Image]

IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
You are a good man BuzzH ! Thank you for being so kind...I am sure you made his day and his sons !

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Last year,I met two guys riding in just starting to hunt. I had already killed a cow and was packing it out.I told them go peek over the ridge about 300yards away.They did and sure enough they killed a cow right there.That was in ML season. In rifle season,there were four hunters back packing in plus two of one fellows kids.I told that guy I would pack the kids bull out if they got one.However, the one boy and his sister went to town and that day his father shot a really nice bull.
Since there were four guys to pack that bull out I went on my way, but the kid was sure disappointed when he got back that he went to town because his dad had told him he would get first shot at a bull should they see one.

I have packed several a youngster's animals out or lent them a mule to do it.If person is in a bind ,I don't mind helping, but as mentioned above, everyone is your friend if you are leading two pack mules.
Most NR's are not aware that a person without an outfitters license can not accept money to do this. I have sure had quite few hunters beg me though to pack their elk out for several hundred dollars.

Where I hunt the going rate for an outfitter to pack and elk out is $400

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A shot at something close in could get a nice zinger off the roof.

[Linked Image]

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Are you kidding? Don loves the skip shot. Tears up less fur.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
call me Rick (Bankshot) O'Shay......

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I friend and I helped get a guys 6pt out that took the rest of our hunting day. They had gotten stuck in an icy creek with their Bronco and their broke. We took a couple hours moving the elk and trying to get them unstuck. ~10 years later a buddy shot an elk and then sprained his ankle on one of the trips to get it out. Without hesitation some other hunters helped me get the rest of the elk out. Very appreciated.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
BuzzH wow! That's one amazing story. I'd like to think I'm helpful but giving away the goods on a bull like that--- that's a whole 'nother level of heart of gold.

Good on you and if they guy was appreciative and thankful, I'd bet it was a great day for both of you.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by smokepole
We were having a discussion about this on another thread. I didn't want to sidetrack that one so I started a new thread to continue that discussion and get others' take on this.

rost495 posted this:

Originally Posted by rost495
We've always been of the train of thought that if we stumble across anyone out there needing packing help or such, we'd stop what we were hunting and help them if they needed it....

Unfortunately the greed in most folks combined with laziness, its uncommon to find folks that will or even want to help.

Followed by this:

I still agree with that. To tied up in their little world and their success to take half a day or less to pitch in and help others. Tis a shame, but I was reared to never walk away from someone that needed help.

Personally I don't agree, but how about it, for those that have packed out elk on their backs, do y'all think it's being lazy and greedy if you don't stop and spend half a day to help a stranger pack his elk out?

Not a friend or hunting buddy, a stranger. Just curious.

The Curman's are always anxious to do things like this. It's quite annoying actually.

A lot of people find this surprising but I tend to look out for #1 until I accomplish my goal. Then I take care of myself.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by huntsman22
When you have horses, nobody thinks they're a 'stranger'. "How about packing this elk out for me, old buddy old pal"?

Haha. I bet that's very true.

Clark

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Great story Buzz!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Beautiful story Wizzer. Thanks for posting it.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by smokepole
We were having a discussion about this on another thread. I didn't want to sidetrack that one so I started a new thread to continue that discussion and get others' take on this.

rost495 posted this:

We've always been of the train of thought that if we stumble across anyone out there needing packing help or such, we'd stop what we were hunting and help them if they needed it....

Unfortunately the greed in most folks combined with laziness, its uncommon to find folks that will or even want to help.

Followed by this:

I still agree with that. To tied up in their little world and their success to take half a day or less to pitch in and help others. Tis a shame, but I was reared to never walk away from someone that needed help.

Personally I don't agree, but how about it, for those that have packed out elk on their backs, do y'all think it's being lazy and greedy if you don't stop and spend half a day to help a stranger pack his elk out?

Not a friend or hunting buddy, a stranger. Just curious.

The Curman's are always anxious to do things like this. It's quite annoying actually.

A lot of people find this surprising but I tend to look out for #1 until I accomplish my goal. Then I take care of myself.

Dave
So I shouldn't have you on speed dial for this fall? wink

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The Lord rewards kindness, generosity and selflessness. Paying it forward always comes back. This story is a great reminder, to me anyway, that helping others with a humble heart is always the right thing. Thank you for sharing this Buzz... good to have this in our minds as we all star heading into the far reaches as hunting seasons start up.

God Bless America!
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I tend to offer to help, if it's needed - it's taken. If not needed, we congratulate and part ways.

I've helped some and been offered or helped by others that didn't have anything to gain, or wanted anything in return.

There have been a few that I've passed by, generally for reasons that were my own, usually reflections on meeting the person, their manners (lack of), or their lack of common sense in executing their hunt.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by AH64guy
I tend to offer to help, if it's needed - it's taken. If not needed, we congratulate and part ways.

I've helped some and been offered or helped by others that didn't have anything to gain, or wanted anything in return.

There have been a few that I've passed by, generally for reasons that were my own, usually reflections on meeting the person, their manners (lack of), or their lack of common sense in executing their hunt.

Very well said and I guess that was my point in starting this thread. Helping another hunter is a great thing, but it's a gift bestowed, not something anyone has a right to expect. If you choose not to help, no one is in a position to call you lazy or greedy. I hunt away from the road because the hunting is better "a few miles in." It's better because most people aren't willing to haul animals out on their backs. We all have stories of helping and being helped and that's how it should be. But no one is entitled to expect that kind of help. If you kill an animal in a spot where you need help to get it out, you're not taking any personal responsibility.

I've seen that more than once, and it doesn't sit well.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

137 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 007FJ, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 13 invisible), 1,450 guests, and 787 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,574
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.