24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hi all. I just picked up a Weatherby Orion made by SKB. I did a bunch of reading on them prior to picking it up. One thing I couldn't figure out is the difference between the Weatherby and Ithaca SKBs. Any info out there?

SS

"To be glad of life because it gives you a chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars. To be satisfied with your possessions but not content with yourself until you have made the best of them."
-Henry Van Dyke
BP-B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Really not much. There may be some internal differences but I have never read anything about them. The most notable is the lack of the shoulders on the action . The SKB has them the Weatherby does not. Have owned an Orion for probably the last 15 years and a couple of the Ithaca SKBs before. I think you will enjoy your gun.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by SamSteele
Hi all. I just picked up a Weatherby Orion made by SKB. I did a bunch of reading on them prior to picking it up. One thing I couldn't figure out is the difference between the Weatherby and Ithaca SKBs. Any info out there?

SS
Other than a minor cosmetic (mentioned above) there's no difference.. Innards are the same.. These are good quality shotguns..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks guys. My 13 year old actually bought it (after my research and inspection) and is looking forward to trying it out with some light trap loads. I'm hoping it lasts him a long time.

SS

"To be glad of life because it gives you a chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars. To be satisfied with your possessions but not content with yourself until you have made the best of them."
-Henry Van Dyke
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Should last forever... very good choice.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There is much owner opinion comparing newer (Italian/Turkish) weatherby orions with older ones made by SKB on various sites. I guess time will tell but the SKB (japan) versions are very well regarded.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Gentlemen,
Where does the SKB made for Mitsui & Co. (USA) Inc., Chicago, ILL, fall into the mix? ( I think an older model? Fixed chiokes. M600. Japan.)
Not imported by Ithaca then? What year did Ithaca cease importing the SKB under their name into the USA?
Questions, questions for those more knowledgeable than mine....
Thanks!
Brittman

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Brittman:

Not sure about the dates, but I do know that later examples had the "engraving" cast or etched into the receiver rather than cut. It makes a significant difference in the desireability, to me anyway.

I had a 280E (English) that my brother gave me. He had oil-finished the stock and had the metal rust-blued. Dandy piece, but I couldn't hit a bull in the azz with it. While getting divorced and short on cash I gun-brokered it along with the Modl 71 my ex had given me. I think I got $1200 for it.

They are very nice guns, and still a good buy, I think.

Last edited by Pappy348; 10/02/16.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Brittman
Gentlemen,
Where does the SKB made for Mitsui & Co. (USA) Inc., Chicago, ILL, fall into the mix? ( I think an older model? Fixed chiokes. M600. Japan.)
Not imported by Ithaca then? What year did Ithaca cease importing the SKB under their name into the USA?
Questions, questions for those more knowledgeable than mine....
Thanks!
Brittman

There are no flies on the SKB shotguns. I let a 280E get away many years ago and still regret.

They stopped importing the entire line in 1979, maybe 1980.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'm reminded every time I hear SKB that I had one of their SxS doubles back in the 1970s, great looking workmanship except the barrels hit in different places.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I don't think any of the Ithicas had choke tubes. The Weatherby has the old winchester choke tubes. Internals are the same as far as I very seen.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have some photos Ill try to post later. My SKB Waterfowler I bought in the 90's has some miles on it. I hunted it and used it for some sporting clays. Then my friend took it Skeet shooting for a number of years in a winter league. When my son was old enough he took it over and has sent a lot of rounds down field on his youth shotgun team. Hard to know the actual number of rounds it has had though it. But the number is enough to have worn off the bottom barrel trigger notch on the inertia block. Also broke a leaf Spring for the upper barrel. Ill post the photos for swapping these out. SKB still has parts. The Sear levers are also available but these are not drop in. They must be fitted by a gun smith.
A work horse with solid manufacturing quality.

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
636 members (007FJ, 257Bob, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 68 invisible), 2,796 guests, and 1,420 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,655
Posts18,399,237
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.