Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
How much better is it than the 338WM???

Probably "better" enough to need a brake!

Tom Beckstrand G&A Dec 2016 :

"the additional case capacity of the 33 Nosler makes it about 200 feet per second (fps) faster than the .338 Win Mag when used with bullets of the same weight."

He goes on to describe performance with the 225 Accubond that is very close to the .338 Lapua. This is truly impressive.

In some ways I have to compare this to what the 6.5 Creedmoor has done for 6.5 LR shooting.

I also hope that Nosler meets with success with each of these new Long Range offerings.

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by wyoming260
I know the dimensions are not identical, but it seems to me that it has taken the gun industry 100 years to catch up to Charles Newtons imagination....... He listed a 33 newton which is almost the same as this 33 nosler.............

Newton was way ahead of the game and his time....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
I'm not impressed with the .33 Nosler.

It shoots a bullet weighing only 25 grains more than a plain old .300 Weatherby, but 35 fps slower than the Weatherby, and with a slightly worse ballistic coefficient. Does anyone believe that a slightly slower bullet, weighing only about half as much as a .22 long rifle bullet more, would be even noticeable?

One would think that they could have made more of an improvement in the last 72 years.

The improvements have been in bullets, which has brought the Newtons full circle.

You're talking about how fast a cartridge can throw an ashtray at "hunting ranges"..We are on totally different pages. Do you also judge rifle scopes on "glass"?

Noslers timing for these is perfect, even tho they still market it like its 1960,shooters will see the advantages.

I would think they'd offer it in a LR platform to go along with their hunting rifles, then offer a factory load with their custom comp bullets. I think they're missing the boat there. (maybe its in the works, i havent really been paying attention to their ammo/gun offerings)

Maybe I can put it a different way. Look at how popular the 6.5 creedmoor is..Noslers are the same concept on a larger scale.

Last edited by rosco1; 11/22/16.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have a brand new Pac Nor .33 caliber fast twist barrel waiting on deck.... curious to see the dim's of the cartridge. If it's in the realm of a Lapua but fits a M700 action more gracefully (which it should due to boltface alone) then I'm interested. Single-source brass is a bit of a bummer but to be expected I guess.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
338Rules,

Nosler isn't trying to compete in a big way with the .338 Winchester Magnum. Instead they're introducing cartridges that work in their rifle action, with an emphasis on ammo, handloading brass, and rifles that are a step up in quality from the basic mass-produced rifles and ammo offered by major companies.

This has always been a viable "marketing strategy." Charles Newton did it, unfortunately starting just before World War One, which ruined his chances. Roy Weatherby used it to start his company in the 1940's, though his products became more standardized in the 1950's.

But it's become more common in the past couple of decades, due to newer manufacturing techniques that make producing "proprietary" actions less expensive. There are a bunch of shooters who desire rifles and ammo a cut above average factory products, but don't want to invest the time and hassle of putting together a custom rifle, or even handloading. They're willing to pay the price for more expensive out-of-the-box rifles with many custom features, and high-performance factory ammo.

As a result, I doubt whether Nosler is concerned about some of the stuff rifle loonies will endlessly discuss, such as whether the 33 offers "new" ballistics, or whether rechambering a .338 Winchester Magnum factory rifle would be easier if the 33 case had slightly different dimensions. Instead they're offering an upscale "package" for a specific market. They want their rifles and ammo to sell well, but they're not looking to directly compete with Remington, Ruger and Winchester.

MD - I couldn't agree with you more . Thank you for your comments.
I enjoyed your articles reviewing the 26 and 28 Nosler.

The .338 Win is just fine, As Is.
It is purely my own loonyism, to look for a donor that will give me the .338 Win package w/o the belt.
? .338-375Ruger CF with a bit longer neck ?

It's been my experience that used .338s don't generally have burned out throats.
A good cleaning, minor tuning, and they shoot just fine.

In all honesty a .338 RCM (20" SS Lam w/Sights) would have suited my purposes quite nicely for a factory SR/MR hunting .338 , but Alas...

My take on the 33 Nosler is that it is a very well designed LR & Hunting cartridge that fits their 3.34" magazine, and it appears to compete ballistically with larger and longer cases ( Lapua, 340 Bee, RUM Edge)

Will it compete as well with the 300 grain VLDs , again remains to be seen, but I am optimistic.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
"It's the answer to a question no one asked". There, it has to be said whenever ANY new cartridge is introduced.

Scott
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

As Elmer Keith asked way back at a meeting introducing the 8mm Remington Mag to industry gun writers, "what the h--- is it good for"? My rendition of his comment, "why"?

As John put it, there is nothing new ballistically here (how could there be?), just a new concept product

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
This is great; never understood why they did 30 before 338 makes no sense glad they got on this I may need one!

Reason being... one of these on an 03 or LR98 action seems great to me.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

As Elmer Keith asked way back at a meeting introducing the 8mm Remington Mag to industry gun writers, "what the h--- is it good for"? My rendition of his comment, "why"?

As John put it, there is nothing new ballistically here (how could there be?), just a new concept product

Why Not ?

It fits in the 3.34" magazine of Noslers M48 etc., and doesn't have the dread belt affliction.

My only sad, is that making the neck geometry work wrt the ogive of the LR AccuBonds, put the Neck Shoulder junction closer to the bolt face than with the .338 Win.

Who cares ? Loonie Me , That's who!

I just wanted to re-chamber an M70 EW w/ 26" barrel, work up loads, and start trimming back the barrel by a couple centmetres at a time until it is 23.5" , or I am deaf, flinched, and shoulder dislocated.

Re-Barrelling on the other hand allows me to get the 33 Nosler throat specs, and start even longer ! :-)

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I know the dimensions are not identical, but it seems to me that it has taken the gun industry 100 years to catch up to Charles Newtons imagination....... He listed a 33 newton which is almost the same as this 33 nosler.............

His .256 had a standard twist of 1 in 10",
and a bunch of taper ( .418" at the shoulder )

IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K

It shoots a bullet weighing only 25 grains more than a plain old .300 Weatherby, but 35 fps slower than the Weatherby, and with a slightly worse ballistic coefficient. Does anyone believe that a slightly slower bullet, weighing only about half as much as a .22 long rifle bullet more, would be even noticeable?

One would think that they could have made more of an improvement in the last 72 years.

It's the case being shorter for better bullets. I'm sure you still don't get it though.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Kaleb

It's the case being shorter for better bullets. I'm sure you still don't get it though.

.300 Wbee doesn't fit in a 3.34" Std length magazine !
Neither does a .340, for that matter.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Kaleb

Right...its like the 6.5 Creedmoor but on a larger scale. smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The so-called "belt affliction" is akin to a severe neurosis for which the pharmaceuticals sell mood-altering drugs. Though it may be real to you, it's in your head. wink

Recoil in a properly stocked barreled-action will not be bad at all.

Edit: As I said it is a packaged, marketing concept which is not to say it is a bad idea.
Have at it.

Last edited by George_De_Vries_3rd; 11/23/16.
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I'm sure the 33 Nosler is a great cartridge, but do we really need new cartridges. Currently, there is a cartridge available for any conceivable purpose. However, something new is always interesting.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by 338Rules

His .256 had a standard twist of 1 in 10",
and a bunch of taper ( .418" at the shoulder )

And even with those limitations a .256 will still push a 140 gr vld at 2850 and fit into a normal long action. Newton did not pick a 2.8"OAL because it was unheard of in his day and is still unnecessary. JMHO

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I'm a walnut fan and have an M48 Heritage in 26 Nosler.
Damn nice stick for $1500
Takes care of my "Cooper Want" very nicely.

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Why Not ?

It fits in the 3.34" magazine of Noslers M48 etc., and doesn't have the dread belt affliction.

My only sad, is that making the neck geometry work wrt the ogive of the LR AccuBonds, put the Neck Shoulder junction closer to the bolt face than with the .338 Win.

I just wanted to re-chamber an M70 EW w/ 26" barrel, work up loads, and start trimming back the barrel by a couple centmetres at a time until it is 23.5" , or I am deaf, flinched, and shoulder dislocated.

Re-Barrelling on the other hand allows me to get the 33 Nosler throat specs, and start even longer ! :-)

I see you've mentioned the belt on the 338 win mag a couple times in this thread. Why is this even a concern? The 33 is better than the win mag because it has no belt?? You are really grasping at straws here..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One guide I hunted with is a big advocate for the .338 Lapua, even on deer-sized animals. The reason is wind drift, it is substantially less than with smaller catridges

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

Why Not ?

I see you've mentioned the belt on the 338 win mag a couple times in this thread. Why is this even a concern? The 33 is better than the win mag because it has no belt?? You are really grasping at straws here..

Belts are out of fashion now, don't you know ?
All the cool kids are going beltless.

Hmmmm......where am I going to hang my sidearm and still look cool ?
Maybe a paddle.

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (10ring1, 160user, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 12344mag, 61 invisible), 2,618 guests, and 1,194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,217
Posts18,466,363
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.