T
trook Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Guys,

I have narrowed down my binocular choice to two particular models:
1. Swarovski SLC 10x42
2. Leica Trinovid HD 10x42

For those of you who have used both, please help me decide between these two. From what I understand, the Leica Trinovid HD should be better than the standard Trinovid. I currently use the Leica Trinovid 8x32 BN.

I realize this is subjective, and both are great glass, but the bottom line is that the Swaro will cost me $600 more than the Leica (about $900 is the best I could find new). For those with the experience, do you think it is worth the cost to upgrade to the Swaro??? At this point, its hard for me to believe I will see $600 worth of difference between these two, but maybe y'all will convince me? These will be used primarily for stand hunting at last light.

The only other option I am considering at this point is the Zeiss Conquest 10x42 for the same price as the Leica.

Thanks in advance for your help.

GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by trook
Guys,

I have narrowed down my binocular choice to two particular models:
1. Swarovski SLC 10x42
2. Leica Trinovid HD 10x42

For those of you who have used both, please help me decide between these two. From what I understand, the Leica Trinovid HD should be better than the standard Trinovid. I currently use the Leica Trinovid 8x32 BN.

I realize this is subjective, and both are great glass, but the bottom line is that the Swaro will cost me $600 more than the Leica (about $900 is the best I could find new). For those with the experience, do you think it is worth the cost to upgrade to the Swaro??? At this point, its hard for me to believe I will see $600 worth of difference between these two, but maybe y'all will convince me? These will be used primarily for stand hunting at last light.

The only other option I am considering at this point is the Zeiss Conquest 10x42 for the same price as the Leica.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Swaro SLC does not show me anything more then my Leica Trinovid , I don[t have the 10x42 just comparing same power binos. I do not have the latest greatest Trinovid. I returned the pair i had(new HD model) to Cameraland for a refund and bought the 40008 model(previous model) much much better.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have the same Leica's in 10x42 & I wouldn't trade them for any Swaro's that I've seen......... although I might give the ergo's to the Swaro's.

Really, as far as the glass goes, they are so close as to be no real difference for my eyes.

You can't really lose with either.

MM

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This comes down to the very fine, but less expensive Leicas with the less-than-stellar warranty reputation, or the more expensive Swaros with the stellar warranty.

Leica has been very good to me with their warranty and service department, and their glass is stunning...for me?..nod to Leica.

T
trook Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Can you explain the difference between old and new trinovid to me? I am not familiar with this issue. I have been under the impression that the Trinovid HD is supposed to be better than the Trinovid. Is this incorrect?

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Optically they are probably pretty close, but I'm sold on the SLC's. You'll be hating the fact you bought Leica if/when you need service or you try to resell them. Warranty applies to original owner only. Keep Doug's # handy at all times. It's a real shame.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Optically they are probably pretty close, but I'm sold on the SLC's. You'll be hating the fact you bought Leica if/when you need service or you try to resell them. Warranty applies to original owner only. Keep Doug's # handy at all times. It's a real shame.

Whew. I was questioning my SLC purchase for a moment. They'll be here on Friday. grin

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by trook
Can you explain the difference between old and new trinovid to me? I am not familiar with this issue. I have been under the impression that the Trinovid HD is supposed to be better than the Trinovid. Is this incorrect?

The old one has a locking diopter, the new one does not. IMHO the view on the previous version is better. The old one originally sold for 1500+ and was marked down to 900 range to blow them out so they could introduce the new price point 900 dollar Trinovids.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Last month I checked out both the Leica and SLC HD, to my eyes the SLC was slightly better so I bought them smile

Swarovski putting them on sale for $1599 then Cabelas one day 10% off and free shipping also made it a easy decision at $1439.00.

The other reason was Leica no transfer warranty is also a deal killer.

Ted
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

I don't own either. I have had the opportunity to spend a bit of time--in the field-- with both but not side by side.

They are very close in optical quality, and I would take either of them--except the Swaro warranty has Leica beat by a mile.

No matter how much a bino or spotter is "built like a tank", they are still a delicate instrument. I won't buy optics that don't have a superb warranty to go along with a great view............

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

And as JG mentions, if you are set on Leica's, buy them from a heavy hitter retailer like Doug who can go to bat for you.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
SLC all the way IMO.

I consider the current SLC in 10x42 to be one of the top four 10x42 binoculars on the market. I spent around 30 days total hunting with mine this year and the little differences between them and $1000 or less glass becomes more evident the more you use them.

Last edited by Timberbuck; 11/23/16.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I've owned multiples of both. Optics are too close to call. I make my choice based on other criteria. Like whatever is handy at the time. smile

Never needed the warranty on either one but watching lots of Swaro optics in my hands and others I am about convinced you are more likely to need the warranty with the Swaro than the Leica. In some small ways I am convinced they are more fragile.

If something goes wrong it will be small crap. I bought my Leica's from Doug and also a set of 8x32 Swaro EL's last month. So I'm not worried. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Swaros will upgrade and clean your binos for a nominal fee. Leica probably would take care of you as well. Both are great companies. I have blue-green color blindness and prefer Swaro to Leica but albeit not by much.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
You will be happy with either, i have both. A set of 10x42 slc for over twenty years used -carried all winter. Sent it forcleaning and adjustment at thirteen years..had scratched lenses. For 125 dollars they sent me a brand new set. With latest lens and coatings.

"We are building a dictatorship of relativism which recoqnizes nothing as definitive and whose ultimate goal consists solely of ones own self ego and desires."Cardinal Rathzinger

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

425 members (10gaugeman, 22kHornet, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 2500HD, 36 invisible), 1,910 guests, and 1,074 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,064
Posts18,463,390
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.