-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Tough decision. I think the 7-08 and 6.5 Creed might be two of the best, all-time, all-around cartridges for anyone, ever. Push to shove, I'd be inclined towards the 7-08. A modern, SA 7x57 and I think it's indisputable what one can do with a 7x57. It's a life-time BG chambering.

My one and only 7-08 elk kill... 150 NBT:

[Linked Image]

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Flip a coin and you'll be right regardless of whether it lands heads or tails.

Factory ammo for the 6.5 Creedmoor and 7mm-08 isn't going to be on every shelf, but if you plan ahead and order on-line, you're likely to have more options and lower costs. As it is with most things, if you subscribe to the 7-P's; proper prior planning promotes positive professional performance, you'll seldom be caught short.

That said, there's nothing wrong with the common as dirt 243 and factory ammo is both plentiful and inexpensive.

M
Mac7 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
OK lots of great pics and advice. I don't reload yet but have most everything I need to do so. Was leaning towards 6.5 creedmoor since I bought myself one.

She will probably have 2 deer tags and a cow elk tag next year. She shoots my 243 fine and doesn't complain. But she is small and I worry about recoil for her.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mac7
OK lots of great pics and advice. I don't reload yet but have most everything I need to do so. Was leaning towards 6.5 creedmoor since I bought myself one.

She will probably have 2 deer tags and a cow elk tag next year. She shoots my 243 fine and doesn't complain. But she is small and I worry about recoil for her.

I think you answered your own question, get the 6.5 Creed.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Brad
Tough decision. I think the 7-08 and 6.5 Creed might be two of the best, all-time, all-around cartridges for anyone, ever. Push to shove, I'd be inclined towards the 7-08. A modern, SA 7x57 and I think it's indisputable what one can do with a 7x57. It's a life-time BG chambering.

My one and only 7-08 elk kill... 150 NBT:

[Linked Image]

I agree both are great cartridges, but the best all round depends on what type of critters are all around you maybe...if thats the case I take the 30-06 wink

IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Absolutely no flies on the 7-08, but a Creed shooting 100's would be a great rifle for a little gal.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I agree with the suggestion of a 7x57, A light recoiling (140 grains at 2,660 fps in factory loadings) classic that has accounted for untold thousands of game animals since it's inception in 1892.

M
Mac7 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks all going with 6.5. Now to find a youth model she likes. Thinking fixed 6x scope.

She has the potential to be a rifle junkie if I can keep her from becoming a teenager. Maybe 7mm in a few years.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Thanks all going with 6.5. Now to find a youth model she likes. Thinking fixed 6x scope.

She has the potential to be a rifle junkie if I can keep her from becoming a teenager. Maybe 7mm in a few years.

I think the 6.5 Creedmoor is the correct choice.Right now you can get better and cheaper factory ammo for the Creedmoor. That plus the fact you have one just simplifies things and makes it the right choice for you.

I've heard really good things about the Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor. I don't think the Ruger American youth compact comes in the 6.5 Creedmoor chambering. At least it didn't the last time I checked the Ruger website. I would call Ruger and see if an American Youth stock will exchange with the Predator stock and see if they will sell you just the extra youth stock. The Predator with both stocks would have her covered the rest of her life.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 11/23/16.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A guy can get the youth RAR stock on ebay or wherever for pretty cheap, or even from Ruger for about $100. The channel may have to be opened slightly for a float with the magnum-contour Predator barrel. Boyds makes laminates too, and they'll cut one to your desired LOP. I rather like the Predator Creedmoor that my brother owns. Lots of rifle for the money.

Now with even more aplomb
IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I'd get a Tikka T3 for sure in any cartridge.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
If you are committed to a 6.5 bore, how about a 6.5x55 Swedish?

Light recoil, accurate and used to take moose in Sweden and surrounding countries.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Originally Posted by Bill Poole
6.5 Creedmoor will still likely be a niche target round.

just my thoughts

Poole

Still? As in it's only a "niche target round" right now? Yes, I realize you have the "just my thoughts" disclaimer but you've obviously not noticed the large and growing faction that's using it as a hunting round.

I'm going to guess that if I asked every person that stayed or visited at my deer camp last weekend what a 6.5 Creedmore is, none of them would have any idea. Just because it's popular at target matches and on online hunting forums does not mean it's not a "niche' cartridge. I figure all of them would know what a 243 is and at least 3/4 would have heard of the 7mm-08. Most hunters I know use rounds that are at least 40-50 years old and don't have a clue about most rounds introduced in the last 20yrs.

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
When you figure in elk id lean 7mm08.
Hornady reduced recoil 7mm08's are $23 a box and bring it to 243 recoil levels so that handles the lower recoil yet still gives you the ability to step up to a "regular load" for larger game or when shes grows some.

As someone said 7mm08 isnt on every shelf, but then neither is the creedmore. But a person who prepares ahead never has to worry about those things.

To me a 7mm08 is one of the most versatile calibers since you can start it at 243 level with off the shelf ammo but then later step up 20-40 grains heavier in bullet weight in same gun.

Its what I bought first for my son because its a caliber he could use from day one thru the rest of his life.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
If Tikka made a T3 Compact (Youth) in the Creedmoor, I'd have one. Not that I am compact or youth, but to my way of thinking it would be like baby bear's soup for that application, which is to say, JUST RIGHT.

I love the 7mm/08. It is probably my favorite hunting cartridge, but I can't help but like the Creedmoor, and if firearms manufacturers will get their heads out of their arses, and chamber the cartridge in lightweight rifles, I am sure it will take off.

Good luck, whichever way you decide to go.
CT

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I'm a big 7-08 fan but I'd go creedmoor. Better case design, several reasonably priced factory ammo choices. Better bc in the lighter bullets. I shoot a 140 vld hunting in mine at 2800 fps and wouldn't hesitate to hunt elk with it.

I put together a 7-08 youth rifle for my nephew when he was 10. I loaded him some reduced loads with 120 nbt's at 2800 to get him started. He's 12 now and still wants me to load him that load because he doesn't like the recoil of a factory 140. He has killed 3 deer with my reduced loads and shoots them well so I keep loading them for him. If I have my way his brother will get a creedmoor and his dad can buy him the cheap factory 129g American whitetail hornady stuff.

Their dad, my brother, doesn't reload and I don't mind loading for the kids sometimes but they always call the night before the hunt or so and say they need two more boxes loaded and they'll be by in an hour to pick them up.

Bb

M
Mac7 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks again for all the advice. This will be her first rifle that is her own. She likes this but told her we would put a fixed 6x scope on it. Would like to find one local for her to check out . Thoughts good or bad?

http://www.legacysports.com/catalog/howa/howa-hogue-youth-scope-package/

Of course she likes the pink one.

Last edited by Mac7; 11/23/16.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Bought my boy a 7mm-08 over 20 years ago. He is still hunting with it. Granddaughter has a 243. She has killed many deer and pigs with it. Grandson has a Creed. You can't go wrong anyway you go. I use that 7mm08 sometimes. Out to 300 yds, it kills as good as any magnum.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The 6.5 Creedmoor will be perfect for her, I can see why she would like that pink one. Pretty cool looking.......

Thanks again for all the advice. This will be her first rifle that is her own. She likes this but told her we would put a fixed 6x scope on it. Would like to find one local for her to check out . Thoughts good or bad?

http://www.legacysports.com/catalog/howa/howa-hogue-youth-scope-package/

Gerry.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Of course she does!

Good choice.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (160user, 10Glocks, 1234, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 58 invisible), 1,987 guests, and 1,080 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,189
Posts18,465,772
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.