Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Winchestermodel70
They are both well made rifles with some flaws.

I had a Sako 75 in 7-08 that was the most accurate factory rifle I've ever owned. Consistent .25"-.5" groups with premium factory ammo. However, the magazine dropped out of the rifle during a pig hunt and the rifle was sold after that.

Took a 75 in .300 Win on safari about 10 years ago. Had ejection problems with the empty round hitting the scope and falling back into the action. Decided to use my .416 for everything for the remainder of the safari and sold the 75 upon my return.

Now have a Black Bear Model 85 in .308. Light, handy, accurate, handles well, no ejection issues and the magazine stays put. It is not a true controlled round feed action, but for PG I don't consider that a deal breaker.

An 85 Black bear in 9.x62 Mauser should be a good pig rifle, providing it doesn't have ejection issues.

My suggestion would be either a Winchester 70, Kimber, Mauser 98 or Dakota, depending on your price point. IMO, Sako still has some work to do to perfect their rifle.

I've used a 75 for nearly 15 years without any mag problem. Did yours always have a positive click when inserting the mag? I would be willing to bet you just didn't get it completely seated that day for some reason.

BP-B6

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have owned a Sako 75 in .280 and currently own a M75 in 7mm-08. IMO, they are great rifles. Good fit and finish and the accuracy has been excellent. Some of the few factory rifles that will shoot multiple factory loads as well as handloads well. Many of my other rifles are a one or two load gun but the Sakos seem to break that trend.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Could have stopped at SAKO

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Sako's are my favorite rifle. I like them more than the pre-64 model 70's I own.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The 85 Finnlight pretty much scores a 10/10 in most attributes for me. Rings are the only thing that is odd.

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
BTW, they show .223s in both 12 and 8 twist.

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Was all set to make an offer on a model 75 stainless but a dude beat me to it.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Terryk
The 85 Finnlight pretty much scores a 10/10 in most attributes for me. Rings are the only thing that is odd.

Can't get more gun for the $$$$. I use Talley bases on my 85 Finnlight. They can only get tighter & it works fine for me.

My 85 is in a Dakota Classic stock. It returns to perfect zero with each replacing of the scope, it shoots 1/2 moa with regularity. 300 WSM, 165 Accubonds @ 3050 fps.... what more do you need?

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Over-rated?

[Linked Image]

Quien Sabe"

[Linked Image]

Don't read reviews?

[Linked Image]

I just go out and kill schitt with mine!

[Linked Image]

works for me!

[Linked Image]

every time!

[Linked Image]

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
IDG was this a short action or long action M85? Seems like everyone who has had this problems has had a long action. I currently own a 75 greywolf 270wsm with no problems but am throwing around the idea of buying a 7mm rem mag in a 85 Finnlight. If this is a common problem on 85 long actions I may decide to go 300wsm instead. Thanks

IC B3

RBO Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I can't understand the love for the Sako's. I've owned a few, and although there is nothing wrong with them, there's also nothing special about them. It's like a Tikka in nice cloths, and as a matter of fact my Tikka's have been more accurate rifles in general. I'm sure the only reason they don't build Tikka's with all metal parts is because they wouldn't be able to sell a Sako if they did.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 458Win
Me too. They are one of the first rifles I recommend when my clients ask what new rifle to buy.

Good to hear that, as I just bought my first Sako a few days ago. cool

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Swampman700
The crf is going to hurt your accuracy and malfunctions as much or more than a non-crf. I'm just sayin'.

I'm betting that this meets the definition of fake news.

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BayouRover
The crf is going to hurt your accuracy and malfunctions as much or more than a non-crf. I'm just sayin'.

I'm betting that this meets the definition of fake news.

Oh dear God! I was sort of hoping that Swampman700 had gone the way of Savage99 or Lee24! eek sick

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

Why make a statement and apologize in the same breath? You didn't offend anyone.
Although, your statement is incorrect. CRF was used in military bolt rifles for a good reason.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Love my Sako 75 in .260. Was always a Remington fan until (and still am). However, the Sako is svelte in feeding and extraction. Much more positive than my Remington.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
ldg397
I had a Sako 85 greywolf, terrific rifle but not controlled round feed and same as some other posters all ejected rounds hit the scope and fell back in the action jamming it every time.

VaHillbilly
......and almost every one Of my Sako 30-06 action length rifles had the very common ejection problems ( hitting the scope )

Winchestermodel70
Took a 75 in .300 Win on safari about 10 years ago. Had ejection problems with the empty round hitting the scope and falling back into the action. Decided to use my .416 for everything for the remainder of the safari and sold the 75 upon my return.

Had a 85 Finnlight 30-06 did the same thing. No problem to duplicate it. Customer service wouldn't even admit it was a problem. Went round and round with them. Told me they couldn't guarantee every possible scope and mount combination that customers use would work. Mine was a 1" tube Zeiss with medium Leupold rings. But they couldn't guarantee that would work. Told me the rifle was tested with no scope and that was the extent of the warranty. Have the emails to back it up.

The ejector on these rifles is at the 6 o'clock position on the bolt face. Dead at the bottom. Just like a Winchester 94 that's designed to kick the case out the top of the action. Works just fine for that. But makes it hard for the extractor at about 10 o'clock (IIRC) to pull the case out before the case mouth hits the bottom of the scope. When that happens the extractor loses it's hold on the cartridge rim, and with the bolt still moving to the rear the ejector pushes the case head out the bottom of the extractor. Almost like it's made to do that. Very bad design. Wouldn't begin to consider using such a thing against critters that bite and claw or even in an area where they live.

Seems only the long action is affected. Short cartridges must have just enough room. But it't the last Sako/Beretta I'll buy more so because of the lack of concern and honesty by customer service than anything else. YMMV

edit: Sent it down the road with full disclosure to somebody that figured it could be fixed.

Last edited by shootem; 01/11/17.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

CRFs have to be properly adjusted for the cartridge they're chambered for. Many are not, often the result, I suspect, of being rebarreled, but not adjusted. One reason for the big push for detachable mags is that the feed lips eliminate the need for adjusting, in other words, economy (cheapness).

I am okay with push-feed and Sako-style extractors, but plunger ejectors are a pain. Everyone seems to blame the position of the fixed ejector on the 85 for the problems. Lets hope they move it back. I'd like very much to have one of the 85s, but don't like DMs on a hunting rifle, so any Sakos in my future will probably be old ones. At least the Sako mags are flush.

What fresh Hell is this?
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Deflagrate

Why make a statement and apologize in the same breath? You didn't offend anyone.
Although, your statement is incorrect. CRF was used in military bolt rifles for a good reason.

Why are you guys responding to a five year old post? crazy

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
The only thing that puzzles me about Sako is this...for that price, why an injected plastic stock?

My first Sako was an 85 Finnlight. With its plastic stock it shot as good as it does now with its custom stock. I could swap stocks at will with no shift in accuracy. Some will criticize the factory stock. But, not all injection molded stocks are cheap junk.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
721 members (12308300, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 11point, 12344mag, 160user, 91 invisible), 2,713 guests, and 1,285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,890
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.