Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
I posted this over in the classifieds but thought I would post it here as well. I love reading the deer hunting stories on this forum so thought you guys might like these as well. As winter sets in maybe you can enjoy a good read about our deer camp of over 50 years. I'm sure a lot of you can relate to the stories told in his book. I have posted a link for it on Amazon and a description of the book below. Thanks for looking.

Camp Abahati

This story is true. Not even the names have been changed. I may end up being kicked out of camp for telling “what happens at camp”, but it’s a risk I am willing to take. After all, I’m innocent!

Our deer camp, Camp Abahati, started in 1965. Since then we are in our 51st year of hunting the same piece of ground. Not many deer camps can lay claim to that. And two of the three original hunters are still hunting there. You would have to look hard to find that at any other camp. The group has grown over those 51 years to include two more Camp Elders, including yours truly, and their offspring which now numbers 15 children and grandchildren. All of whom have killed their first deer on that property or in the surrounding area.

There are stories that will excite you. Stories that will make you laugh. Stories that will make you shake your head and think, “did they REALLY do that?”

The foreword to the book was written by a good friend and outstanding writer, Daniel Lamoreux. Daniel and I have shared a lot over the years. A few hunts, some fishing trips, some fine cigars and some great whiskey. He is a friend tried and true, and his foreword is worth the price of this book.

If you are a deer hunter I know you will enjoy reading this tale. If you aren’t a deer hunter the stories of family and friends makes for some great reading. It’s not about the killing; it’s about the hunting, the friendship, and the camaraderie!

Elkslayer53
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I'm going to get my wife to order this for me (she has Amazon Prime, I don't). As a child in the 60's and through my teen years in the 70's, I looked forward to Outdoor Life coming in the mail every month. Two stories always piqued my interest the most-the stories of deer camps, most of which were in the Northeast part of the U.S., and the stories of the Alaskan Grizzlies. Being born and reared in Louisiana, I've never and it looks like will never get to go to Alaska to hunt due to physical limitations. And growing up in a time and place where most land was company owned and open to hunting, I could leave my house and drive a mile or so, park and walk into good deer woods so I never was a part of a deer camp like I read about. I envy you ladies and gentlemen who had that privilege. I look forward to reading the stories. Thanks for sharing and have a blessed day-Eddie

Last edited by Ruger77Shooter; 11/28/16.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Nice offer, I will check this out..

Molon Labe
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Thanks for the kind words, I'll pass them on to my dad, and I hope you all enjoy the book.

Elkslayer53
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
My wife ordered mine when she got home from work last night! Looking forward to it.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
elkslayer, Very cool. Thanks for posting.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Ruger77Shooter
I'm going to get my wife to order this for me (she has Amazon Prime, I don't). As a child in the 60's and through my teen years in the 70's, I looked forward to Outdoor Life coming in the mail every month. Two stories always piqued my interest the most-the stories of deer camps, most of which were in the Northeast part of the U.S., and the stories of the Alaskan Grizzlies. Being born and reared in Louisiana, I've never and it looks like will never get to go to Alaska to hunt due to physical limitations. And growing up in a time and place where most land was company owned and open to hunting, I could leave my house and drive a mile or so, park and walk into good deer woods so I never was a part of a deer camp like I read about. I envy you ladies and gentlemen who had that privilege. I look forward to reading the stories. Thanks for sharing and have a blessed day-Eddie

Eddie, your post in itself is a good story. Thanks for sharing.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (160user, 219DW, 204guy, 1936M71, 17CalFan, 22250rem, 47 invisible), 1,859 guests, and 1,035 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,184
Posts18,465,685
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.