Campfire Ranger
B
yes we do !

BP-B6

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I hunted in a shotgun zone every year for over 20 years. Killed several dozen deer with about a half dozen different slug guns in both 12 and 20 gauge, some smoothbore and some fully rifled. There are no hunting conditions or methods for which I'd choose a slug gun over a rifle.

We agree!

My best friends son from Iowa hunted in our Wisconsin camp this year. Where he hunts in Iowa it is shotgun only. I offered him my Ruger 77 7x57, but he declined as he killed a lot of Whitetails with his slug gun.

He shot this nice buck at just a tad over 100 yards. grin

[Linked Image]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Biebs
How 'bout a genuine PA Deer rifle, the Remington 760? I have one for sale, a Deluxe version. It's in 30-06...I'd shoot 200gr round-nose Core-Lokts to dump a deer right now. It even has the see-thru scopemount. Hey, they've been getting the job done for years!

$575 shipped

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/w416/Biebs52/760%20007_zpsnrlhhmke.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/w416/Biebs52/760%20008_zpsr3wggj0v.jpg[/img]

That thing should be in a Museum with a wool rich suit and Donald Duck boots. to show the world what a Deer hunter circa 1974 in Pa, looked like.....
The Deluxe even with the nice basket weave and Mile view shiny finish, topped off with Williams "Under/Over" Mounts and a Jamesway or Kmart bubble pack Tasco.....
These things should be labeled "Penna Dutch Assault Rifles " as more the the Amish carry them..... I knew people that had a .30-06 for bear season and a .270 for deer season........

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have hunted with a slug gun for 30+ years due to the state I live in, 12 gauge, 20 gauge smooth bore/rifled bore. Killed a few deer with them when hunting on State land. I pray every year that our State DEP will pass a law that you can use a rifle, even if it has to be a straight walled case. If so, my shotgun would be gone as fast as I could. I would rather hunt with a rifle any day of the week. On State lands, a long shot is 100 yards and though the shotgun slugs are effective, its no rifle

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Marlin 336 35 Rem !

IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I don't feel handicapped using my Browning Abolt rifled slug gun out to 175-200 yds 3" group at 200 yds

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Next year I'm setting up a close range gun. I'm going to chop a 308 Montana to 19" and have it bored to 358 Win. Nothing wrong with 308 but I want the 358 Win,just because.

I'm going to mount this scope with the green triangle.
http://swfa.com/Trijicon-1-6x24-AccuPoint-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P82966.aspx

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Why a rifle? You got plenty rifles, right?

How about a Slug Gun with a rifled barrel and integral scope mount? 12ga. Lots of slug choices, practically a new industry with specialty slugs out there. Then you got options for Buckshot as well and the shot does take some spin from the rifling for hold together patterning; but gotta pattern em for your own shooting.

Not much need for a rifle in deep woods; not for hunting game that ain't gonna be hunting you if you wound them...

Even more options for a handgun. A Ruger Super Redhawk with a scope or electronic sight is very fast and the DA trigger pull is really decent right outa the box. Can make it better, of course... But point is, my Casull delivers 2" groups (5 shot) at 75yds from offhand, non-rested position. Full power handloads. Good groups. You got both hands free for clambering through the brush, or dragging out your meat. The .454 Casull or bigger S&Ws will deliver rifle accuracy and give you faster response time. For shooting deer, you can go .44 special or .45 Colt. Also got the .44 Russian and .45 Schofield cases for plinking or small game. Very Versatile, and w/the integral scope bases, very reliable.

Got a handgun with 6" or better barrel? Maybe you're already set, just have to cast some heavy flatnose bullets and load em up!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
I don't feel handicapped using my Browning Abolt rifled slug gun out to 175-200 yds 3" group at 200 yds

George dont get me wrong, I have a Savage 220 right now that is as accurate as many rifles I have owned and do not feel handicapped in that regard, but again to me, its not a rifle. Give me a Marlin in 44mag or 444, 45-70 or a host of other big bore pistol rounds. Guns handle better, accurate and ammo is a lot cheaper than sabot slugs for practice

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Another of my go to short range deer and hog guns is a Stag Arms AR carbine in 6.8. Tried not to like it because I really like old wood guns. But find myself grabbing quite often

IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by ChipM
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge

George dont get me wrong, I have a Savage 220 right now that is as accurate as many rifles I have owned and do not feel handicapped in that regard, but again to me, its not a rifle. Give me a Marlin in 44mag or 444, 45-70 or a host of other big bore pistol rounds. Guns handle better, accurate and ammo is a lot cheaper than sabot slugs for practice
Agreed hence my loving my .444

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Seafire
Paul, didn't have that opportunity or chance to walk out onto a power line when and where we hunted in Northern Minnesota and Northern Wisconsin...

100 yds was pretty much a long shot unless you happen to be going around a lake and saw a deer on the opposite side... but shooting across a water way was illegal....so we didn't do that either...

I figured it was an idle brush gun as it was handy, carried a big slug, was quick handling...I loved my 870 when I was in a swamp...

I guess my whole point was about flexibility. Sometimes you need it, most times you don't.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
dvdegeorge, that .444 has grown on you, hasn't it?

I kinda like the big-bore thing too, having a .44 mag rifle and a .45-70.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by roundoak
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I hunted in a shotgun zone every year for over 20 years. Killed several dozen deer with about a half dozen different slug guns in both 12 and 20 gauge, some smoothbore and some fully rifled. There are no hunting conditions or methods for which I'd choose a slug gun over a rifle.

We agree!

My best friends son from Iowa hunted in our Wisconsin camp this year. Where he hunts in Iowa it is shotgun only. I offered him my Ruger 77 7x57, but he declined as he killed a lot of Whitetails with his slug gun.

He shot this nice buck at just a tad over 100 yards. grin

[Linked Image]

Man that is a real nice deer!!

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Seafire

evidently you boys haven't used a shotgun deer hunting in a swamp before...

Evidently you don't know what you're talking about. Seriously? I've lived in MN or WI my entire life. Everything I've hunted is a swamp. Why do you think I've shot so many deer at 20yds and less? There is no situation where I would take a slug over a bullet unless the law called for it. ZERO!

Of course in the past, in those Northern Swamps... the good old 444 Marlin with a 2.5 power Weaver on top did pretty good at bringing "home the bacon", errr vinison....

Yes, much better than a slug.

to each there own....

but I've had plenty of success with a slug gun in swamps...as I had no problem getting into the thick stuff...

but stating I don't know what I am talking about.... just because I've had success with a slug gun.. and evidently you haven't as you hammer you don't use one...

but you kinda enjoy disagreeing with anything I have to say anyway....so I'll give it the credence it deserves.

you're experiences don't negate the experiences I've had...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Another vote for the triple 4...265 gr Hornady's or one of my 310 gr cast do work in heavy cover but it's not politically correct on the CF to call it a brush gun. whistle

[Linked Image]

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I got a 444 I might part with, if anyone is interested. Dies, brass, loaded factory ammo.

I doubt I will ever hunt with it again.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

[Linked Image][/URL]

.44-40

"A person that carries a cat home by the tail will receive information that will always be useful to him." Mark Twain
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've had very good luck ambush style hunting with my RUGER 96 in 44 MAG.

Sherwood

[Linked Image]

FIRE UP THE GRILL - is NOT catch and release!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I just started shooting a Rem 700 LTR in 6.8spc and it looks to me ( so far...) to be ideal out to 200 yards, and maybe a tad more. Only shot pigs with it so far, out to 160 yards.

[Linked Image]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
430 members (10ring1, 1lesfox, 300jimmy, 160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 43 invisible), 2,155 guests, and 926 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,595
Posts18,398,070
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.