Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 20 of 31 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 30 31
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jeeper
Wow ,wonder why the stock has to weigh 28 oz. ?

My thought exactly... if I ever wanted more weight it would be in the barrel...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Maybe the material or process they use?

I have to say they do balance nicely a bit ahead of the front action screw. About the shank for me. Feels guuuud

RBO Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

My guess would be balance. That's one of the best features of a Nula, the fact that the rifle balances so well. If you order a rifle from Melvin with a heavier contour barrel, he adds weight to the stock to balance it out.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Wondering if we will see a .280/.280 ai...

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I only have access to one Fieldcraft, a 21" 6.5. The stock weight on it, with the trigger guard included, was 25.2 oz.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Made a dummy round with dad last night for our 6.5 Creed. Used a 147 Hornady ELD M and made a nice square kiss in the lands at 2.910"

The bullet shank / boat tail transition matches up right where the neck meets the shoulder on the brass. 3" box. Perfect.

Anyone else make any dummy rounds or throat locators with the same or different bullets for reference?

Best

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by bwinters
Thanks for the measurements - I called them and they acted like they never heard of such a thing....................

Happen weigh it?

One thing that held me back was a 2 position safety - that doesn't lock the bolt. I have a rifle like that and the bolt handle gets caught on 'stuff' and will come open. A rather inconvenient feature.

The rifle, bare and empty weighs 5#4 1/4oz... The stock alone weighs 1#12 1/8oz which seems heavy to me... and the metal parts weigh 3#8 1/8oz. The bolt by itself weighs a slick 6 7/8 oz.

The bedding job is full length and perfect. A dial indicator did not wiggle at all during torquing.

The sling studs are not to my liking, I prefer flush mounts... but there is not much to bitch about with the rifle, except...

Looking it over more carefully... the guy that came up with the idea of using three different size screws for the trigger guard and action is an idiot! Problems in the field do not get fixed best by having three different hex bits required. When he dies and goes to Hell (a given!) he will spend eternity trying to fix things just two bits short of what he needs! That would absolutely get changed immediately if I get one.

Just weighed a 308 version to see what they larger bore diameter does to the total weight...

Again this rifle looks to have exactly the same quality bedding job and workmanship as the previous one above... trigger breaks at the same 2.5#, every time.

They still have not fixed the three different size screw heads!?!?! wink

The 308 has threads for a brake with a plastic protector where the other did not.

308 model weights: 18"
The bare stock weighs a half-ounce more, at 28 5/8 ounces

The metal parts weigh 3# 5 1/8oz or 3 ounces less.

Total bare weight is 5# 1 7/8oz or 2 3/8oz less.

Just to keep all weights together...
21" 308 with VERY low serial number...
Metal 3# 6oz

Stock is much lighter at 25 1/2oz

Total weight 4# 15 1/2oz.

Again, to keep numbers together... Weighed a Creed with 18" barrel and thread protector.

Checked the trigger pull and while it is very crisp and clean it breaks at 3.5 to 4 pounds. From the website I see the trigger is a Timney (marked on the trigger body, too) and only fits the Fieldcraft. Not that anyone would need to change these triggers for a hunting rifle.

Total weight is 5# 2 3/4oz.

The stock weighs 28 ounces even.

The bolt is a bit lighter at 6 3/4oz.

Here it is ready to go:

[Linked Image]

Pretty excited to get this little gem in action on the 1st of August.

Good seeing ya Sitka Deer and thanks again!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche

Here it is ready to go:

[Linked Image]

I really wish you hadn't posted that. laugh
That's a really nice setup you have there.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's not that nice....rings are too high but it's all I had on hand right now before we go deer hunting in 5 days so it's gonna have to work for this season. I will get some NF ultralights ordered up after hunting season and bring the scope a bit closer to the bore.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
It's not that nice....rings are too high but it's all I had on hand right now before we go deer hunting in 5 days so it's gonna have to work for this season. .

Well, I wasn't gonna be "that guy" to mention it. laugh

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Haha I will mention it so others don't have to.....for now the sky high rings live on there. Not a huge deal as it just required a bit more on the cheek rest but other than that no big deal. It will get addressed after hunting season with lower rings.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That looks good. To me, 7 lbs all up is about perfect - light enough to carry, heavy enough to settle down for offhand shooting. Especially after you hustled up a ridge to get ahead of a critter at 10k feet...........

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Some have EVERYTHING dialed in just right... even if the rifle has a few extra ounces or worse. Life is about getting the big stuff close enough and the bigger stuff even closer. Always a treat seeing those that get the truly important stuff dialed in perfectly...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
AL / SD, what picatinny base fits the Barrett? I highly recommend these rings, which are the lowest of the picatinnys. .750"

https://www.americanprecisionarms.com/products-page/custom-parts/rings/

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by BurninDupont
Made a dummy round with dad last night for our 6.5 Creed. Used a 147 Hornady ELD M and made a nice square kiss in the lands at 2.910"

The bullet shank / boat tail transition matches up right where the neck meets the shoulder on the brass. 3" box. Perfect.

Anyone else make any dummy rounds or throat locators with the same or different bullets for reference?

Best

Wow, long throat, 2.82 is standard, sounds good

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
ready to go:

any groups with your gun you could share?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Not shooting until this weekend unfortunately. I think the standard freebore with the SAMMI 6.5 Creed reamer is a little long for the best bullets in a 2.82" box. With Barrett's 3" box it all jives well!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
Originally Posted by BurninDupont

Best

Wow, long throat, 2.82 is standard, sounds good

As another point of reference....143 eldx meet the lands at a COAL of 2.895" in my rifle.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ctsmith
AL / SD, what picatinny base fits the Barrett? I highly recommend these rings, which are the lowest of the picatinnys. .750"

https://www.americanprecisionarms.com/products-page/custom-parts/rings/

I am using the rail from talley for it.

http://www.talleymanufacturing.com/Products/Tactical/Picatinny-Rails/Barrett.aspx

Yeah currently using 1" high rings. 1/4" down would help for sure, but a few more pads under the cheek rest cured the cheek weld. wink

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
ready to go:

any groups with your gun you could share?

Thus far have only got shot 3 shots down the pipe unsuppressed as I shoot in my yard and in order to keep peace with the neighbors (I live in a neighborhood I try to limit the unsuppressed shooting.

Anyways got it dialed in at 99 yards (as far as I can get in my lot) with the suppressor.

Took off the suppressor and shot 3 times. 1st shot....adjust 3 MOA down and then shoot two more.

Close enough till I get to the beach to deer hunt so my neighbors don't hate me wink

[Linked Image]

Page 20 of 31 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 30 31

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

470 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 35 invisible), 2,328 guests, and 1,053 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,285
Posts18,467,831
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.