Page 23 of 31 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 30 31
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
Originally Posted by Tennessee
Originally Posted by snowchaser61
I just received a phone call from barrett, there is the posibility of a hardness issue with some of the bolts. They want me to ship the rifle to them so they can test it.

Just a slight clarification. The hardness issue is only with the cocking piece. No safety issue and honestly there is not even a function issue.

A "soft" cocking piece was cycled in a bolt over 1000 cycles with zero issues other than slight wear on the nose of the cam surface that ceased around 200 rounds and appeared to get no worse.

Nonetheless a few parts got out that are not perfectly to the heat treat spec, so they get replaced.

See my post above with a quote from Barrett on this issue

Yeah I saw that. Vicki just got the name of the part wrong.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This is part of why the Barrett Fieldcraft will be around for a long time...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Tennessee
Originally Posted by snowchaser61
I just received a phone call from barrett, there is the posibility of a hardness issue with some of the bolts. They want me to ship the rifle to them so they can test it.

Just a slight clarification. The hardness issue is only with the cocking piece. No safety issue and honestly there is not even a function issue.

A "soft" cocking piece was cycled in a bolt over 1000 cycles with zero issues other than slight wear on the nose of the cam surface that ceased around 200 rounds and appeared to get no worse.

Nonetheless a few parts got out that are not perfectly to the heat treat spec, so they get replaced.

Thanks for the clarification, I was not given that detailed info over the phone.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by atomchaser
I have a set of 1 inch medium ring mounts that I ended up not needing as I went a different direction scope wise than I originally intended. If anyone is interested, PM me with an offer.

For the Barrett?

Yes, for the Barrett Fieldcraft

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Only complaint so far is this "stainless" rifle is a rust bucket compared to the tikka or kimber. Still weathered in Kodiak and waiting to get home, but out of the field. Exclusively hunted with the Tikka CTR. The Barrett stayed in the vestibule of the tent so had it pretty easy being sheltered the whole trip whereas the Tikka was out in the rain and much getting saltwater paddle drips from every stroke on the packraft. The Tikka only shows a couple small rust spots, the Barrett has more pock marks than a 14 year old boy in puberty which is pretty sad considering it was babied compared to the tikka in just 5 days on Kodiak.

In that regard I am not impressed but we shall see how it handles the salt free but moist air of interior Alaska in the coming weeks.

Will post pics of both later today since not much else to do when weathered in town and commercial flights are all booked.

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Finally got my 6.5 to the range this last weekend. In between keeping the mags full on my kiddos guns, I was able to plunk down a couple of groups.
Both factory ammo - the first being 140 ELDs and the second being 147 ELDs. I'm thinking there is some promise laying in there...
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Man, those are horrible, surprised if you even wanna keep it after that showing grin

Semper Fi
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Pretty good for 1st range trip with a 5lb rifle.Im hearing good things about this rifle.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by darrenk75b
Finally got my 6.5 to the range this last weekend. In between keeping the mags full on my kiddos guns, I was able to plunk down a couple of groups.
Both factory ammo - the first being 140 ELDs and the second being 147 ELDs. I'm thinking there is some promise laying in there...
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Looking good Darren - hope all is well out your way & congrats on the new rifle smile

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Was a bit bored stuck in kodiak hotel for day 3....so here ya go.

Kimber Montana rust after the trip:
[Linked Image]

Tikka CTR rust after trip really only limited to the first couple inches of muzzle:
[Linked Image]

And the Barrett fieldcraft that never left the dry tent vestibule:
[Linked Image]

The Tikka did fair the best despite seeing by far the most direct saltwater on the barrel everyday in the packraft.

IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche

[Linked Image]

Tikka CTR rust after trip really only limited to the first couple inches of muzzle:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The Tikka did fair the best despite seeing by far the most direct saltwater on the barrel everyday in the packraft.

Hard to tell from the pictures, but does the Barrett have a rougher blasted finish than the Kimber? Is the Tikka perhaps the smoothest finish?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by darrenk75b
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Darren, I got my 6.5 to the range today, same results as yours. To be honest I was surprised at the accuracy. I'm lovin this gun. I need to see how to post pictures now that photobucket has all mine under lock n key.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Hard to tell from the pictures, but does the Barrett have a rougher blasted finish than the Kimber? Is the Tikka perhaps the smoothest finish?

Alaska, there is this really neat stuff out now...it's called gun oil, really great stuff, you keep your guns clean and boom, they don't rust, whoda thunk it could be true.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

You need to DGS that thing.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep, DGS is what I'd do. Then you don't have to be oiling it all the time.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Alaska, there is this really neat stuff out now...it's called gun oil, really great stuff, you keep your guns clean and boom, they don't rust, whoda thunk it could be true.

Haha easy there tex....I am fully aware of gun oil but thanks for the pro tip. smile I have zero worries the rust on all 3 rifles won't all clean up just fine. Merely adding to the thread for those interested showing that the fieldcraft is the least stainless of stainless rifles I have used. Yup a little gun oil helps but thought it was interesting the rifle that lived in a dry tent the entire trip rusted up way worse than the rifle that had salt water splashed on it everyday.

A little brush action and they all will be rust free when I get home. smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

You need to DGS that thing.

What is this DGS you speak of Jordan to help this lame brain "stainless" rifle out? smile

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Me too what is DGS ??

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
alaska_lanche ,

To heck with the rifle, how was the deer hunt? blush

Oh, and another vote for Dyna-Tek Gun Shield.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Page 23 of 31 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 30 31

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (160user, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 11point, 12344mag, 47 invisible), 2,532 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,360
Posts18,468,961
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.