-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 28 of 31 1 2 26 27 28 29 30 31
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
prm, I've seen that with other rifles and low mounted scopes, empties will clear, loaded will hit the scope.

Jordan, thanks for the visual... they look to clear perfectly.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Question... does the Fieldcraft Timney trigger lock the bolt on safe like the ULA, or is it a true “two position” trigger that allows the bolt to open on safe?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Brad
Question... does the Fieldcraft Timney trigger lock the bolt on safe like the ULA, or is it a true “two position” trigger that allows the bolt to open on safe?

Brad, no the safety does not lock the bolt when on safe.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Capt_Craig

Wow... on a “Mountain Rifle”... what a misstep.

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
An optional bolt lock for the timid..........

[Linked Image]

Dave

IC B2

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
If it’s going to be a two position, I prefer to be able to move the bolt on safe vice locking the bolt.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

Pffft

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I’m with Steelhead. Once you handle one, you won’t think there are many missteps.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Yeah, I agree with Brad, a non locking bolt handle could be a pain in the arse on a mountain rifle and I aint crazy about how the bolt handle attaches to these but I also know that unless your a fanboy of a given rifle (which there are many fanboys on this site) ....There is no perfect rifle, I can pick apart any make/model rifle you want to mention and point out weaknesses....I also dont think that anyone that has a different opinion of a rifle than mine is automatically labeled a dumbass.......Hb

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SlimBlundt
Ok, so I came into a Fieldcraft in 6.5 CM with 21” barrel. It was just too tempting and I jumped on it. My problem is, I was planning on getting this rifle in 18” so I can suppress it. (If any of you have been following the classifieds, I’m attempting to facilitate a trade for an 18” version but that’s likely a long shot.) So, would it be a bad idea to thread the 21” barrel? I’d have it threaded to 7/16x28 to ensure enough shoulder and utilize a Kimber 5/8x24 adapter. I’m not very experienced with lightweight rifles or threading and I’d really like to not screw up a dream rifle. I’m encouraged by the fact that the barrel is bedded for the entire length of the stock to support the weight of a silencer.

I know what Mjduct and specialk have to say about this, just wondering if anyone else has or would attempt such a thing :-)

Glad this thread has come back to life. I’m now a full-fledged Fieldcraft junky. I had my 21” barrel threaded 1/2x28. I mentioned in another thread that with my silencer, Leica 2.5-10x42, and 5 rounds of ammo the whole setup weighs 7lbs 12oz and I can consistently shoot sub MOA 5-shot groups with factory loads. This is my favorite rifle, maybe even my favorite gun, and that’s saying a lot for a guy with a couple dozen guns and only 1 hunting rifle.

"Pessimism never won any battle." - Dwight Eisenhower
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

Originally Posted by Steelhead

Pffft

The last time I was mule deer hunting my hunting buddy had his bolt open on him numerous times while climbing with the rifle slung. His bolt never fell out, but he got some grit in the action and even had a round fall out. Not the end of the world, but it was an aggravation. Eventually he dry fired on an empty chamber and the extra force required to cock the bolt prevented any further unintended bolt openings.

Does the Fieldcraft cock on opening like the Remington?

David

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

Much safer design to allow the bolt to open with the safety on, and more so with a blind mag that requires cycling the bolt to unload. This exact design issue was often raised in the Remington 700 litigation about unintended discharges. A M70 style 3 position safety on the bolt is a safer design, which Kimber was smart to pick up. The 3 position bolt safety allows the bolt to be locked, or on safe and the bolt unlocked for cycling. Not sure about this Barrett trigger, but R700’s can be retrofitted with the M70 3 position safety. Brownell’s sells the part. Smithing required.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
You don't have to fully cycle a round to unload from a blind mag.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Teeder

Amen... you’d be surprised at how that alludes a few folks.

Semper Fi
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
No, but you need to move the bolt from full closed on the first one.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Eludes.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by kingston
Eludes.

Thank you! What Kingston said! whistle

Semper Fi
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
I compared the FC and a Montana side by side both in 6.5 Creed. The closed grip on the FC was not comfortable to me, I felt like the Kimber balances better. Both sweet guns, in the end I bought a Tikka SL. The Montana was stickered at $1300 and the FC $1800 at local gun shop.

I completely agree. I've walked in several times trying to favor the FC and MT, but the Tikka just fits me better. The overall feel calls to me. The only caveat would be in a Tikka I'd opt for a 6.5CM since it comes with the 2.95" mags and is twisted appropriately. The 7-08 is twisted too slow on Tikkas. If I ended up with a FC, it would be in 7-08.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Teeder

Understood, just pointing out it was a source of trouble for Remington, and there is a good design reason why the bolt does not lock on safe in response to Brad’s post.

Here is the 3 position safety for a R700 for an easy fix for those that want a locking bolt.

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-par...0-three-position-safety-shroud-prod6668.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by kingston
Eludes.

Thank you! What Kingston said! whistle

His Manners correction even tops his grammar, too...The Fires Professor Henry Higgins. Grin...

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Page 28 of 31 1 2 26 27 28 29 30 31

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 54 invisible), 2,807 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,359
Posts18,468,939
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.