Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 86thecat
Yes, I am a slow learner.
Began as a carpenter in the mid 70's then slowly progressed to Shipwright on Tallships and also had a small company doing yacht cabinetry (on classic wooden vessels) to fill in between large projects until 2000. Took me quite a while to learn my trades, but I learned from excellent artisans and craftsmen.

Again, no one but you cares at all about any of that.

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
meanwhile, back at the ranch...

The stock is finished and photos will be taken as soon as the sun shines and he can get some good natural light.

Good photos will be posted regardless of the quality of the work and observers can judge for themselves.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Here are close ups so everyone can see all my orbital scratches, deep cut marks from the blades and armature finishing work.

I want to make a POINT to let everyone know that the entire project, from the first file cuts to bring the butt plate flush, to the last minute of the last coat of finish, on BOTH the fore-end AND the butt stock, took less than 2 hours.

Of course there are days in-between the 2-3 minutes of work per day after the sanding was done, waiting for the oil to cure.

At cold temps and little sunlight, the process takes time to cure, but that's how natural oil finishes are. I don't count the curing time, only the actual work time.

This includes all filing, all scraping, all sanding with 180, 220, 230, and 400 grits, all time taken to whisker the wood, all time to coat the wood, all time to wet-sand the wood and every single minute I was touching the project.

I kept track so I can give an accurate account.

So the other "smiths" are likely to be very mad, because I am going to prove the Emperor really IS naked. I charge only a small amount for this kind of work because it's fast and easy.
I do not rip customers off!
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

More on the next panels below this one.

Others, who are upset are very probably ripping people off, telling them how tedious and labor intensive this kind of work is. It's not!
There are only 2 possibilities.
#1, They don't know how to do it, and their "extensive experience" is largely BS.
OR
#2 they are liars and they are overcharging folks. They can do so because of the ignorance of the customers.

I am curing that ignorance with this video and with my pictures. Now everyone will know that this kind of work should not be very expensive.

Some will say I am lying, but none of them will try it themselves and keep track of the time. So they will only heap lie upon lie to keep their prices up.

But their dishonestly will catch up to them because now every single reader who is not a liar will try what I showed here, and all will know who told them the truth.

I did this work and the video for the benefit of shooters and gun enthusiasts out there, and I sincerely hope they will be blessed by this demonstration.

Any nay-sayers are encouraged by me to not believe. In fact, I hope they don't.

Arguing with liberals, communists and these types is a waste of time. If they don't like the truth, such people will say the sky in not above anyone's head, gravity doesn't really work, and Trump is not a valid president. Same kind of logic is being publicly displayed here ....(or lack there-of.)

This thread reminds me very much of what we are seeing on TV of the anti-Trump com/libs. No amount of proof will work. So it’s not worth anyone’s time to try to convince them otherwise.

Here is one of these kind. Unfortunately we have many more in this country, some of which post here.
Facts and truth are not important to their arguments.

[Linked Image]
Some might not agree with her politics, but certainly agree with her tactics.

This thread is not for them. This tread is for those that want to learn an answer to the very 1st question posted on this tread.

It was an open question to the reading public and I believe I have given a good answer.
Are there other answers? I am sure there is.

For those that have other answers I say “show us”

And they will be SURE to tell everyone that only THEY know about wood working and finishing, and anyone that disagrees with them is foolish. You gun owners have lying eyes. Don't believe your eyes! Believe them!

Anyone that dumb should do exactly that.

If you all will go back and read this whole thread to keep things in contest, I am sure anyone with average intelligence can follow along.

I do not and never did say I was the foremost expert on this subject. The thread was started with open questions about stripping Browning finishes.

I showed how I do it. You can do it any other way you like and that's ok with everyone, especially me.

To all those that did receive something valuable from these efforts, I wish you the best.

God bless and happy hunting.

Last edited by szihn; 02/09/17.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Looks good to me.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Not bad looking, for a face on photograph. How about a macro shot from a low angle- that'll show imperfections that a customer would see on close examination. Besides, it's still a "natural oil" finish and may have aesthetic value but little else. It would seem that those two hours would've been better spent cleaning the shop...

I'm assuming you will re-cut the checkering next? Honestly, the original checkering still with original finish in it looks hideous next to the fresh wood finish. If I were the customer I would insist on that- to do otherwise shows ineptitude/ignorance on the customer's (and your) part.

I've been doing this stuff for 40+ years- but only for myself, friends, and family for whom there is no charge. I'm meticulous and take pride in my work which is why I don't work for the public- if I did I would have to charge a liveable wage or a fair price, and neither are compatible with the other. If I gave someone the quality I give myself it would have to be at a fair price, and then I would be working for minimum wage- and I refuse to take shortcuts, the end job reflects that kind of approach.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Not bad looking, for a face on photograph. How about a macro shot from a low angle- that'll show imperfections that a customer would see on close examination. Besides, it's still a "natural oil" finish and may have aesthetic value but little else. It would seem that those two hours would've been better spent cleaning the shop...

I'm assuming you will re-cut the checkering next? Honestly, the original checkering still with original finish in it looks hideous next to the fresh wood finish. If I were the customer I would insist on that- to do otherwise shows ineptitude/ignorance on the customer's (and your) part.

I've been doing this stuff for 40+ years- but only for myself, friends, and family for whom there is no charge. I'm meticulous and take pride in my work which is why I don't work for the public- if I did I would have to charge a liveable wage or a fair price, and neither are compatible with the other. If I gave someone the quality I give myself it would have to be at a fair price, and then I would be working for minimum wage- and I refuse to take shortcuts, the end job reflects that kind of approach.

another expert finish work keyboard commando...

post up some pics of your work along with the other gun stock refinishing "expert" shytkadeer.......

never fugging happen from either one of them.................

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O

With 40 years experience I'm sure you have some good examples of your work. Please share some photos with us.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I don't have to prove myself to anybody, let alone a bunch of whining sycophants. Take my criticisms or leave them. I personally don't give a rat's patoot. I call 'em as I see 'em.

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
I don't have to prove myself to anybody, let alone a bunch of whining sycophants. Take my criticisms or leave them. I personally don't give a rat's patoot. I call 'em as I see 'em.

Well, thanks for sharing "poser". You're nothing more than a troll and no longer worthy spending time with. Welcome to my ignore list.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Honored to be there!

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
The stock arrived here today. I'll take some photos of it and post them here. I hope the photos will show different angles. Everyone can judge for themselves. As for me, I'm very satisfied with the work and believe it will serve me well.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well, if the customer is satisfied that's all that really matters.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
I want to show the photos so maybe we can finally put this to bed. I really dislike the back and forth bickering and name calling that took place and would like to restore peace in the valley...

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
photobucket continues to not play nice and has kept me from uploading any photos. I'll keep trying. Thanks for your patience

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
I continue to struggle with photobucket. It now refuses to allow me to copy links to photos so I'll have to find a new site for photos.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Like the man said, send it out. I can work a few hours overtime, save breathing that cshit, not working near as hard, and it look perfect.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Sick
Campfire Outfitter
P
No pictures yet?

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

669 members (160user, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1973cb450, 68 invisible), 2,959 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,263
Posts18,467,148
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.