Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I have two Browning shotguns and I want to strip off the hard, high-gloss finish. What are the best products to do this? Does anyone have any suggestions on how to proceed or tips to make it easier?

Thanks!

Dan

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Slidellkid
......or tips to make it easier?

Thanks!

Dan
Send 'em to a commercial furniture stripper.. You'll thank me..

I have a company not too far away and, for the measly $30 they charged to remove all that crap I could never justify taking the 2-3 hours in labor to do it myself.. I could make $100 or more over the same time period..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Redneck
......or tips to make it easier?

Thanks!

Dan
Send 'em to a commercial furniture stripper.. You'll thank me..

I have a company not too far away and, for the measly $30 they charged to remove all that crap I could never justify taking the 2-3 hours in labor to do it myself.. I could make $100 or more over the same time period..

I ran into this problem a couple years ago when a friend had quite a few guns to refinish after they were in a fire and in his safe.Only thing damaged was the finish and some seals in scopes. The only thing we found was Aircraft paint stripper. and elbow grease

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Those high gloss urethane finishes are a bitch to remove. Like Redneck said, 2-3 hours with some pretty obnoxious chemicals, toothbrushes, steel wool, and elbow grease.
I did 2 high gloss Rem 700 stocks a few years back and I don't think I would do it again if a dip service was available.
If you do it, get the strongest stripper you can find and make sure it says it will work on urethane.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You will not find anything "on the shelf" that will easily remove a thick urethane finish.
Like Redneck said, send it out to a professional service.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have two Browning shotguns and I want to strip off the hard, high-gloss finish. What are the best products to do this? Does anyone have any suggestions on how to proceed or tips to make it easier?

Thanks!

Dan

As Redneck says it is a brutal job and best left to dippers if that is what you really need. Caution them not to soak the wood any longer than required...

But far easier is just to fill the gouges that cannot be lifted by steam, level them out with SuperGlue, and buff the gloss off with BearTex pads or rottenstone, or both.

You will still have a very deep finish (it will not fool anyone into thinking it is oil) but the luster can be brought to any level you desire and it is a LOT less work...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
The Japanese Brownings have painted on finishes over very plain wood. The last one I stripped looked like a piece of balsa afterwards. Proceed at your own risk! By the way, I sanded the old finish off. Not easy but doable.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I have heard about the painted on finishes. A respected stock maker in Missouri told me the same thing. Maybe I should just leave well enough alone. One of my shotguns has absolutely gorgeous wood or a great paint job, just not sure which and not sure I want to chance finding out it's just plain wood. The other shotgun has very straight grain so I wouldn't be upset in anyway to see plain jane wood as that is what it appears to have.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have trouble imagining how someone could mistake the painted on finishes for being actual wood...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Has no one here ever applied sand paper? There's some technique involved, but I find it always works.

1Minute
IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
If you wait long enough, forty-fifty years, it will come off in big hunks eventually. Least that's what mine are doing.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 1minute
Has no one here ever applied sand paper? There's some technique involved, but I find it always works.

It surely works if you're looking for the hard way. I'm lazy I guess.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I just stripped a Browning 1885 with that high gloss finish. Used a stripping formulation that said it would strip a epoxy finish. It sort of got a lot of it soft but it took several applications and a lot of scraping. When it was done I sanded it down and oiled it. I would pay a fair bit of money to send one to a commercial stripper if there was one around where I live, but there isn't.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I worked right next to the finishing department when I worked in Browning Arms gunsmithing shop. Whatever chemical they used the stocks were soaked for extended periods of time. The hum of pneumatic sanders was constant as they did lots of sanding, stripping the Browning finish is time consuming hard work even for professionals. The finish is a two part catalyzing type that Browning had shipped in from Belgium. I still remember the skids loaded with gallon cans of this finish, I never understood why they couldn't find a finish that was manufactured in the US. Even the new finish was brittle, cutting the masking tape from the checkered areas after refinishing was a real challenge not to chip the finish. Glad the finishers did all that work, my only involvement was to re-install the wood on the gun.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
LMAO...

On one of those finishes?? Well, as long as you don't mind spending several (and I mean SEVERAL) hours and the expense of a few reams of sandpaper trying to remove that stuff I'd say goferit...

In my case, the 'opportunity cost' would far outweigh any benefit.. YMMV.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Redneck
LMAO...

On one of those finishes?? Well, as long as you don't mind spending several (and I mean SEVERAL) hours and the expense of a few reams of sandpaper trying to remove that stuff I'd say goferit...

In my case, the 'opportunity cost' would far outweigh any benefit.. YMMV.

Yup! That stuff is tough and hard!

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I have had good results with Jasco Premium Paint and Epoxy Remover for both Browning and Remington urethane-based finishes. Read the instructions and follow them. I have also heard the the Brownells product is effectively similar but have no personal experience with that.

AKA The P-Man smile

If you cherish your memories with kids, be a good role model . . . . so the RIGHT memories of you mean something to them.
S
S
I've tried everything including the stupidly expensive Brownell's at the end of the day I will send the next one out. I dump a ton of gel on it wrap it in aluminum foil and do it again and again. You'll get there but it sucks.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Heat gun VERY carefully applied. Never tried it on a Browning but have removed some very tough urethane and epoxy finishes with a 1000 degree heat gun. Got to be very careful though because if you burn the wood you can't sand deep enough to get back to normal wood. Use just enough heat to soften the finish in a small area. Soft wire brush in wood handle for checkering - a plastic handle brush will melt.

Did I mention you have to be careful?

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
That jasco stuff works pretty well on Remington's ..never done a browning with it ,but it's pretty good stuff..

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 1337Fungi, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 63 invisible), 3,057 guests, and 1,131 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,304
Posts18,468,097
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.