Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I have a lot of 308 (7.62x51) military boxer primed brass. I got the primers out and resized. Then I reamed the primer pockets to get rid of the primer crimp, and cleaned the pockets. Then I took a pencil and put some pencil graphite around the sides of the primer pockets. They are still very hard to get the primers seated. Does anyone have a suggestion to make them go in easier?

Thanks

BP-B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Removing the primer pocket crimp from mil brass seems like it should be a relatively minor task, but it still needs to be done properly. Without providing the details as to the tools you used to ream the primer pocket there is no way to know where the problem lies.

Mil primer pockets can become very distorted during the crimping process, but regardless, without getting into a lot of details, you can simply use a Primer Pocket Uniformer Tool as the final step to restore the primer pocket to the correct dimensions.

"Primer pocket uniformers are designed to ensure that primer pockets are cut to the correct SAAMI depth specifications, cleaning out built up carbon residue from previous firings and squaring the bottom of the primer pocket with respect to the case head. This step is important as variations in the seating depth of the primer can change how the firing pin strikes the primer producing inconsistent ignition. This tool features a preset stop collar set to SAAMI specifications."

"Supernatural divinities are the primitive's answer to why the sun goes down at night..."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Get the Redding carbide version. Thank me later.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
For years, I cut the crimp out of GI 30-06 with my deburring tool. It worked quite well for hunting ammo.

Today, I use an RCBS primer pocket swager.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I've cut the crimp out with my deburring tool, and cleaned the pockets, but CCI primers are hard to get in. I do have the RCBS tool ordered.

IC B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Dillon makes a great primer pocket swege.
it makes the job quick and easy if you have a ton of brass to do.
I do not mind getting millsurp. brass now.
The 1st. time I reload it. I swege it.Then I never have to do it again.

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
The RCBS primer pocket swager is the only way to go for me. It works. Wallacem in Ga

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Dixie, have you tried other primers to see if its just the CCI or an issue with the pocket.

Boogaloo might have the best answer if the other tools don't seen to be working for you.

You can never be too prepared. Proverbs 27:12 -- “A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions. The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.”

The prudent Campfirer trains and prepares.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I have the Dillon, it works great

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Agree with all of the above. I try to buy pre-swaged if I can find them. Also this came up for Privi Partisan brass being hard to prime. John Barseness recommended using the champfer tool on the primer pockets and he was spot on as usual. Some mil. brass has no radius on the primer pocket. Doing this makes it easier and smoother to seat the primer with less effort needed and reduces the chance of distorting the primer. If both tools are in an electric drill it only takes seconds to do.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Just saw on another thread a recommendation for the K&M tool as it cuts the crimp and side walls if needed where as the others I have just remove high spots and the bottom of the pocket. I think I will give it a try if it makes military and PPU brass easy to work with it will be well worth the $25 price just in time and brass savings.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The K&M tool is just a primer pocket uniformer like many others on the market; it doesn't chamfer the pocket mouth. The Hornady primer pocket reamer will both cut out the crimp and chamfer the mouth in one operation.

Hornady primer pocket reamer.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have a chamfer tool for my Forrester case trimmer. At times,I might have to use an Exacto knife to round off the end of the chamfer inside the pocket.Most likely you have not gone quite deep enough or there is a sharp edge at the end of the cut.

BTW, .308 is one military cartridge that you might have to reduce your load a grain or so vs commercial brass reloading

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by NVhntr
The K&M tool is just a primer pocket uniformer like many others on the market; it doesn't chamfer the pocket mouth. The Hornady primer pocket reamer will both cut out the crimp and chamfer the mouth in one operation.

Hornady primer pocket reamer.

Thanks good to know I'll get the Hornaday tool next time I get new PPU brass the last batch needed it both reaming and champfer..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Dillon is great. It has the tool for the large primer pocket and the small primer pocket. Don't lose one of the tools like I did. I bought a replacement tool. Now the swagger is mounted to a board, and the spare tool is trapped in a slot in the board.

[Linked Image]

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I have a RCBS Primer Pocket Swager-2 (newer version) on the classifieds. Shoot me a decent offer.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Chuck one up in a cordless drill and go to town.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
I have the Dillon and the RCBS. I prefer the Dillon.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
105 members (257robertsimp, 10gaugeman, 338reddog, 405joe, 10gaugemag, 10 invisible), 1,398 guests, and 691 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,873
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.