Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
Lawdwaz Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Dad's .308 Montana is ill:

I haven't looked at it too close yet as I just got back from a weekend hunt but the bolt is having trouble picking the next in line cartridge up from the magazine. It's just riding right over the top.

I have the gun in hand also.

Tips/thoughts/fixes?? Thanks.......

Last edited by Lawdwaz; 12/12/16.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not a gunsmith but happened to me twice, once with a 700, once with a 70. On the 700 ADL the follower spring was broken. The rifle was only a few years old! Replaced it and all was fine. On the 70 a small piece of twig/dirt was stuck between the follower and rail. I would look for simple solutions first.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its
limits.- Albert Einstein
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Milwroad
....... On the 70 a small piece of twig/dirt was stuck between the follower and rail......

Milwroad: How did you get the twig out?

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Follow the thread below to see if Boomer finds resolution.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/11647945/

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
i bought the same gun a few weeks ago and haven't fired it yet.
like to know the resolution to this.
in the meanwhile what kind of scope do you have on it ?

P.

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Shortactionsmokers thread on tweaking a Montana and Stick's picture heavy "start at the [bleep] start" thread over on araig got me through this and every other possible problem that come with Kimbers.

Theres some smart heavily experienced knowledge on here. Just takes some time to research and find/understand it.

I'm truly grateful for the help I've received from guys on here through informative posts and PM's to the right guys. Read a little and it doesn't take long to figure out who they are.

For the feeding issues, read the "start at the f*$&ing start" thread. If you can't find it pm me and I'll send you a link.

Last edited by jackmountain; 12/12/16.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I found out today that one can claim expertise from reading on the internet and provide advice freely without regard nor concern...

Generally, if everything is assembled correctly, it has been offered, that to get ass end up more so the bolt will hit it, you open the rear 1/3 of the feed lip on the side of the mag box that has the dipped cartridge. You just bend it out a tiny bit and try it. Spreading lets stuff go up, while closing keeps stuff down... This stuff was covered in Stick's tutorial. Mine, a fresh 6.5 CM, had issues not related to feeding, purely just sitting in the magazine, with either a left side or right side cartridge on top, the whole works will stay ass end dipped 1/4"! Mine will exhibit this same behavior described on the 308 also, because the spring is too dammed weak and no amount of bending, opening and tweaking will help. My mag box lips are totally open and it'll still ass end dip... So - the advice is to replace the follower spring with a stronger spring from a Remy 700 SA ADL and even better yet, also use a milled follower. To recap, if opening the mag box doesn't bring joy, you do not need to spend the next two days bending the mag box lips back and forth for hours on end because it will not fix the weak spring... I offer this with the best of intentions... grin
Originally Posted by Lawdwaz

I haven't looked at it too close yet as I just got back from a weekend hunt but the bolt is having trouble picking the next in line cartridge up from the magazine. It's just riding right over the top.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
SAS's thread on tweaking Montanas? Missed that one. Saw Brad's. WTF?

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Seems there's a lot of Montana "tweaking" going on as of late.... Is this covered in the book of 50 trick moves to get your montucky to work right?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Thanks. You could have sent me that last week! laugh

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah, but what fun would that've been?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Yeah, but what fun would that've been?

Speaking of fun - you better check that other thread. LOL

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

L
Lawdwaz Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
I found out today that one can claim expertise from reading on the internet and provide advice freely without regard nor concern...

Generally, if everything is assembled correctly, it has been offered, that to get ass end up more so the bolt will hit it, you open the rear 1/3 of the feed lip on the side of the mag box that has the dipped cartridge. You just bend it out a tiny bit and try it. Spreading lets stuff go up, while closing keeps stuff down... This stuff was covered in Stick's tutorial. Mine, a fresh 6.5 CM, had issues not related to feeding, purely just sitting in the magazine, with either a left side or right side cartridge on top, the whole works will stay ass end dipped 1/4"! Mine will exhibit this same behavior described on the 308 also, because the spring is too dammed weak and no amount of bending, opening and tweaking will help. My mag box lips are totally open and it'll still ass end dip... So - the advice is to replace the follower spring with a stronger spring from a Remy 700 SA ADL and even better yet, also use a milled follower. To recap, if opening the mag box doesn't bring joy, you do not need to spend the next two days bending the mag box lips back and forth for hours on end because it will not fix the weak spring... I offer this with the best of intentions... grin
Originally Posted by Lawdwaz

Thanks for the information. 6 months later and I haven't done a thing with it until tonight. My FIL took ill 12/14 and I haven't had much interest in fixing it the problem until now.

I'll get on it..........

BUMP for those fighting their Montana smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Does it fail to feed cartridges from both sides or just one?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Another thing that causes this problem is the base of the spring sliding forward in the mag box. That allows the follower to tilt back and down to the rear. One fix is to put a dab of epoxy on the stock in the bottom of the mag well just in front of the spring to keep it from sliding forward.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by smokepole
Another thing that causes this problem is the base of the spring sliding forward in the mag box. That allows the follower to tilt back and down to the rear. One fix is to put a dab of epoxy on the stock in the bottom of the mag well just in front of the spring to keep it from sliding forward.

Exactly. This is what caused the case head to drop leading to feeding problems in my 6.5 CM Montana. A piece of plastic in the bottom of the mag cutout in the stock kept the spring base from sliding forward and solved my problem.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had the same issue with a ruger MKII I traded it in for a kimber and my feeding problems and back problems went away (gun was about 3 lbs lighter) sholder hurts more though :]

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Haven't dropped by the fire lately so don't know if you got this resolved but I didn't see if you were running factory fodder or reloads. My 308 Montana is very sensitive to COAL and if it is just a hair over factory specs it has feeding problems.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 204guy, 257 roberts, 58 invisible), 2,357 guests, and 1,186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,638
Posts18,455,306
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.