24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm headed to Yellowstone in September and also do alot of hiking in the Smoky's far off the beaten track. I'm looking for a travel/pack rod but don't want to spend a bunch of cash. In fact, I want to be cheap about it........

This rod will see some miles and likely be broken often so I want to keep the price to $150 or less, preferably $100 or less.

Suggestions?

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
GB2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I make it a point to check in on Cabela's Bargain Cave web page every so often. I just so happens that I remembered seeing a travel fly rod there a day or so ago. I don't know anything about this six-piece rod, but it's in your price range and gets mostly very good reviews.

Here is a link:

Cabela's Stowaway Fly Rod

Last edited by CoalCracker; 06/05/16.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Less than $100 and likely to get broken? Good luck with that, there's bargain hunters and there's dream chasers. Check the warranties on Cabela's rods before buying, they ain't great. I would look at reasonable priced Redington rods.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
CC - I saw that as well and have one in the ol' Cabelas Cart contemplating pulling the trigger.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I've fished the Stowaway quite a bit. Good value rod. Mine is a 8'6" 3 weight

IC B2

A
a12 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I'm interested in tenkara myself but it's a point solution and not something I'd consider for many of the streams in Yellowstone or other big western places (and some eastern)

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
J
JDK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
I have a 9 foot 4wt Redington Wayfarer that I like. Bought it cheap on Fleabay and have caught some very nice fish on it.

Last edited by JDK; 06/09/16.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Temple Fork Outfitters. Professional II is 4 piece and TFO also has a 5 piece.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This fits the bill for packing. Redington Classic Trout 6-pc, 5-wt. An excellent rod.

http://tinyurl.com/j57d43g

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Why is it likely to get broken?

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by K1500
Why is it likely to get broken?

Because fly rods are very fragile creatures. Just a fly or weight from a bad cast can leave a nick on the rod that will fail sometime down the road. I had a Sage rod snap on me landing a trout. Most likely a nick from a previous trip. And a couple of others from "accidents". But the warranties covered them.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The stowaway is actually a pretty good rod for the price and as a travel rod. Reddington has some nice rods once you go above the entry level. Temple Fork are solid rods and more durable than most. Rajeff and several others also make nice rods at and affordable price. Check Sierra Trading Post and also for older used rods like Sage, Scott and others. A really good rod never is out dated.

Yes the warranty is part of what you are paying for on a high end rod and I have needed it several times. When I guided in Alaska I think we (clients) broke 27 rods in a three month season.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Look up Jim Teeny rods by Temple Fork Outfitters. They are guaranteed if you break them they will replace them. Good rods with a great guarantee...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
TFO is a good company to deal with. Rods are slightly heavier than some but that equates to durability. Some of the first ones were such canons I would over line them to slow them down for somebody like me who doesn't cast like Lefty Kreh.

The Jim Teeny Rods are a little slower to work well with sink tips and shooting heads so suite me better.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Agreed on the Jim Teeny rod....I have a 9ft 6wt and I really enjoy throwing streamers with it. Not a finesse rod, but if I am finesse fishing, I am fishing my Loomis or Sage rods.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have been fly fishing for over 35 years. Own over a dozen fly rods from 3wt to 10wt fiber glass and several different types of graphite, including a cheap ($10.00) 7wt that was my first fly rod . Only broken rods have been due to carelessness. One was a home built Winston 456 Traditional snapped with the tailgate of my Wagoneer. Another fell victim to being yanked on and snapped 2" off the tip of 6' Fenwick fiberglass rod when it hung on a folded lawn chair. Fly rods, especially graphite are very resilient as long as they are not abused. I don't try to dislodge snags by yanking on the rod or try to lift large fish with the rod. It is easy to make a simple rod case from PVC that will keep your rod safe during hiking.

I think that the above mentioned Cabela's rod would serve well for years. If you were fishing the west often I would suggest a 9' 5wt or even a 6wt (wind). But since you live east of the Miss.River I think the 8'6" 4wt would be a good compromise for small streams/ponds. May want to have 2 lines a wt forward, good general use line and a double taper which works better in tight spaces/small streams because it is much easier to roll cast when there isn't enough space for a back cast.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I know this an old thread, but with cabin fever coming soon thoughts about trout fishing are rising again. I may be cheap, but I have an Eagle Claw trailmaster 4pc. fly/spin combo 7'6" that I really like. It comes with a small padded case 24" long and weighs next to nothing, very light action. My son used it for 2 seasons up in the Never Summer Range and he can be hard on rods. I used it in the flattops on an elk hunt and it works well and is tough.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
welcome to the fire, BigPine. pull up a log, or sit on the ground if you prefer!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Thank you very much. It's a good site and I've enjoyed it .

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
642 members (257Bob, 12344mag, 257_X_50, 1234, 06hunter59, 257man, 74 invisible), 2,922 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,666
Posts18,399,365
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.