Print Thread
Hop To
F
fburgtx Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Looking at getting one/two of these for the ranch. Don't expect them to start my diesel truck or tractor, just want something as a backup for lawn tractor/Polaris Ranger/old Jeep with a v6. My experience is with the older "jumpstart packs" that are a heck of a lot bigger and usually have an AGM battery inside.

Any thoughts on what to get?? I see prices from $39 up to $200. Not looking for anything fancy, so hoping to keep it below $100 each, if quality is there. Figure this is something that'll last about 3-5 years.

GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
My cousin has one that is pretty impressive when it comes to jumping vehicles. It's compact, red and black. I think it may be a Power All by doing a quick google search. Watched him jump start a V8 pickup that had sat outside in -20f temps last winter with it.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I love mine 30 dollars on black Friday not much bigger then my smart phone. 3x5" I've jumped my snowmobile and several cars a half dozen car it will charge your cell phone or GPS if it has a USB port for some crazy number like 500 hours. I haven't had to charge it since I bought it still has 50 percent charge

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
For the price I would put one in every vehicle instead of waiting for a jump or AAA

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
battery on my old 4Runner had an issue last week. My son in law brought out his new Lithium ion paper book sized booster thingy. It would not start my truck. I got the old fashioned jumper box thing out of the back of the truck, and it fired right up.

Sam......

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I wonder if 2 in parallel would start a diesel before the wires melted.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

According to the reviews this is a fake?

"Let me say it as simply as I can: transparency and the rule of law will be the touchstones of this presidency."
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I have to admit I'm skeptical about these mini-boosters. What's the wire size going to the battery? It looks like they're saying they can shove 600 amps through an 8 or 10 ga wire without burning things up.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Cabela's Pure Lead AGM Batteries work well.

A carry strap and a 4 Gauge Rubber coated Jumper Set and you are good to go.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Got this one as a gift from my buddy yesterday...He has the same one and has used it numerous times over the last couple of years with good results. I just checked price $127.00 ish and the reviews were 5 stars for that price range.

[Linked Image]

Patron member, NRA, Life Member SCI,
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Those jump-n-carrys have been around forever. I used to have one in the 90's and it lasted a long time. I used it to jump cars, trucks, outboards, and lawnmowers. The only knock on them is that they have a big footprint.

The lithium ion units are fairly new and compact. A friend has one called a "wee go". I wonder how long the batteries in them last, because for the same money, the one you have is proven?

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I got one of the fancy lithium ion ones for Christmas a year or two ago, biggest thing I tried to jump was a 6 liter v8 worked just fine had a buddy who swore his would jump a diesel but never saw it myself. Really kinda liked it. Only problem was it got left on the front seat on a hot day, when I got back heat had caused it to blow up.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
My son gave us a DBpower unit last spring. He lives on a lake in a rural area and has ATVs, jet skis and a boat and bought one of these to try out and found it invaluable.

Upon receipt I charged it up, disconnected the terminals on my 4runner and it started it 4 times w/out problem. It claims 300amps of start power and peak power of 600 amps. It measure 3 1/2"x7 1/2"x 2" and weighs less than 2 lbs. It lives in the back of my car and remained there throughout the summer w/out problem.

I have not yet tried it to start a dead car battery on a cold day. I really like having it in the back country. It also can charge 2 I pads and 2 I phones on a single charge. They also make a model w/ 1000 amp peak power but I don't know how they would work on a diesel. It can recharge in the car.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
F
fburgtx Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
So, no issues with the Las Vegas heat?? That was one of my concerns, leaving in a hot car/truck.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have bought a couple of Black & Decker units that I wasn't at all impressed with. 'Hope that your's works when you need it.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
No issues with the desert heat, it was in the 4 runner all summer.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (10gaugeman, 204guy, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 51 invisible), 3,133 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,594
Posts18,454,365
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.