Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 82 of 122 1 2 80 81 82 83 84 121 122
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Yeah, that's sort of the rule. As soon as we know you aren't permanently hurt, the needling has to begin.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

GB1

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
Yeah, that's sort of the rule. As soon as we know you aren't permanently hurt, the needling has to begin.

You left me with the only vision I will ever have of a refrigerator or the use of a Win 37A...

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Yep. I knew that from cowboying...as soon as you know theres no permanent damage...it all starts to become funny grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Glad you were ok Tom was a pretty good spill.

EdM I didn't think that a refrigerator and a Win 37a could make a funny story but it did.

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
The story of the first evening's hunt, or:
"Breaking the Hex"

The first morning's hunt was nothing to talk about for me, although several pigs were brought in that morning, I saw snout nor bristle.

It was bad enough that I started bitching to Rockchucker about the hex I was sure a waitress had cast on Bob and me as we stood outside an artsy fartsy eating establishment in San Antonio. I was sure at the time, and remain so convicted, that I did nothing to the hag, but happened to look her in the eye as she walked up behind Bob and dumped an ashtray in an outdoor garbage can, with complete indifference to fire safety.

You see, Bob has his back to her and I was facing the direction we had come from. Bobby saw her too, but apparently since he saw pigs on the first morning's hunt, I could only surmise that I got some over spray on that hex because I looked her in the eye as she approached.

The evening started innocently enough, we were having a lovely visit to the Mission City, and hoped to take in the evening meal at a dining establishment located at the old Pearl Brewery complex. The Hippies in San Antonio have renovated that buildings there, turning them into various and sundry shops, coffee houses and eateries. We actually had a reservation at the joint, and when we showed up, they acted like it might be a minute before we could be seated, even though the place was hardly what I would call busy.

Some of the crew were outside smoking a cigarette, one or two were making a head call and that left Bobby and me to wait for the table. The hostess finally came to seat us before any of the rest of the party came in, so we took up a seat at the end of the table. The hag came over immediately and laid out menus, while asking what Bobby and I would like to drink. We sent for a water apiece, and waited for the crew. By the time they showed up and were seated, the look on the hag's face had changed from simply sour, to the look a teacher gets when a student hits her in the a$$ with a sour green apple.

We placed orders for drinks, and appetizers, and while we were at it, we ordered the entree and more drinks. You have to understand that this was not Whataburger. Had it been, the service would have been much more friendly. That said, if the tab at Whataburger came back the same as a brand new 4th Generation Glock 17, we could have fed everyone on the first two floors of the Pearl Brewery.

Anyway, the night progressed and the more we joked and laughed, the meaner Hagatha looked. Now, before I go further, I will say the next sentence is absolutely the truth. I had 2 Lone Star beers and one drink of bourbon. This, along with a brontosaurus ribeye, and samples of about 5 different appetizers had me on the level. I was as sober as a judge, so to speak.

At any rate, I saw no one at that table who appeared to be remotely inebriated, but the wicked witch of the west had had enough. She sent the manager over to tell us that our server did not feel comfortable serving us any more.

To be honest, I was flabbergasted, I'd never been invited to leave a dining establishment before.

Well apparently, we were all flabbergasted, because our host begrudgingly left a 20 dollar tip for the poor necromancer, and we made our exit.

Now, to be fair, it was tough love that made him do that. He doesn't have a spiteful or mean bone in his body. But he had to do it, to teach her a lesson about friendly service making better gratuity.

Well, when I saw her stalking out of the restaurant headed in our direction, I checked her hands, then her eyes to see if she was coming to stab us with a broken wine bottle. She cast the stink eye, but simply turned and dumped the ash tray into a garbage can and returned from whence she came.

So, after the way the first morning's hunt went, I was concerned I might have to go back up to San Antonio and borrow a dish towel from that restaurant to break her spell. That, or sacrifice some chicken from the chow hall...

I tell you all of that to let you know the frame of mind I was in, for the evening's hunt. I felt a little bit underwhelmed when we pulled up to the stand in the low fence area of the ranch. Standard deal, the feeder was about 75 yards or so from the blind, but a dandy 5 strand barbed wire fence was right beside the feeder and we could see into the next field from there.

It was hot that evening, but luckily, Bobby had dispatched Sandcritter to pack a cooler full of barley pops for the evening's sit. Imagine our surprise when we learned that Sandcritters from NC and even those who transplant to Montana, don't bother to put ice on beverages they put into "Coolers". I can only guess that it is due to them having a cursed snowbank to stick a beer in, to keep it from getting hot?

Thankfully, in addition to the hot beer, we had a couple hot waters and a nasty pear. Rockchucker made sweet love to that pear (Or so it sounded) until he threw the core out the window and we continued our wait.

Wait we did. Sweat we did. Owing to dehydration, I began to get punchy. I popped off with: "Mr and Mrs Pig Piggerson, please come to the dining area, your table is ready." I didn't know if pigs speak English or not, but I thought I would take the chance.

Graciously, Bobby invited me to take the first shot that evening, since he had shot a sickly pig during the morning's hunt. He was given a pass on that pig, since it was no good, and still had all three pigs to go.

The first black boar showed himself not all that long after the feeder went off. He came from the other field, but hung up without crossing. I decided to go ahead and shoot him, but the shot broke before I was good and nailed down on where I wanted to hole to show up. He spun and ran, but a large spot of blood was already visible high and tight behind his right foreleg.

I was surprised when he ran, but we gathered ourselves and followed up. Again, credit where it is due, Rockchucker is also part bloodhound. We found the fat bastid in 50 yards or so. He ended up just under 150 pounds but it felt like I was dragging a 450 John Deere.

I forgot to take my phone with me, so I couldn't take a picture of my boar. We returned to the blind and I got it, while Bobby stayed to hunt. I got back, snapped a couple of pictures and then drug Mr. Piggerson back out through the field, under the fence and into the road behind the blind. After that, I began slipping back up to the blind to take my place with Rockchucker.

Nice fella that he is, he waited until I was about 6 steps from the back of that shed before he barked off "the blue vein throbber" which is the new name for his rifle. It comes from the heinous blue McSwirly stock that he has it bolted into. I swear to Robert Ruark, that is the loudest 6.5 Swede I have ever been around. Obnoxiously loud, but it is a killer. No doubt about that. Ol' Bobby had dropped another lone black boar about 15 pounds heavier than the one I just killed. We whooped, we hollered and we took pictures. We started to drag it through the fence when Bobby said, "Do you hear that?" He keeps asking me that, even though he knows I am going to say "No."

"Back to the blind, more pigs are coming" so we scurry back to the hideout and make ready. This time three adults come in, along with about 9 or 10 piglets. We devise a plan for a countdown. I call out my target. Bobby calls his target and the countdown begins.... "3,2,1,BAM!" My 270 spoke and sent 150 grains of round nosed core lokt into the face of the old spotted sow I was targeting. Smoked her like a pack of Kools, I did. Pigs start to run and I turn to ask Bobby if he had shot. Just as I am facing in his direction, he finally gets the safety off, on the throbber and looses a salvo at the fleeing pork. We discovered that shot was a miss, after much searching, but still, what an evening!

Turns out, our entire group had smashed pork that night. Sandcritter took a couple, in spite of packing a beer cooler with no ice. 7mmMato took a nice one, and RangerGreen took his third and final pig of the trip.

We piled so much pork on the bumper of the guide's truck, it snapped through the welds and fell off the frame. We had to load all seven of those pigs up in the back of the truck before we could come in.

And so it was, that the San Antonio hex was broken. For me, anyway. Bob still hasn't shot this year's first pig. Go ask to borrow a dish towel from the Boiler Room, Bob. If they won't give you one, grab something and run out the door. It will break the hex she put on you.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."

IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by EdM

You left me with the only vision I will ever have of a refrigerator or the use of a Win 37A...

Another funny that happened in that story, although I am sure I failed to get that far the other night.

When the shoot team got there to start the investigation, they were prowling all around, taking photographs and measurements. Well it had warmed up sufficiently that the canned bisuits began to start popping in the kitchen and a couple of the guys said they were ducking and reaching for pistols till they figured out what was really going on.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
What's a canned biscuit?

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
You can probably still buy them. In the days before breakfast biscuits were frozen and sold by the bag in your local grocery store, folks used to have to buy them in canned form. You had to pop them open to put them in a pan and bake them. They had to stay refrigerated, or they would begin to rise when they warmed up and would pop through the cardboard tube they were sold in.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
You are going to have to go on sabbatical and come down here so I can educate you.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Cool! Thanks!

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've been practicing my language skills. My wife doesn't know WTF I'm saying.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Ah, be careful what you teach her.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
She sent the manager over to tell us that our server did not feel comfortable serving us any more.

Ya'll were melting a snowflake? smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
It is still really a mystery, to those who were gathered at that table, exactly what took place.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"The story of Bobby's third pig" or "The track job from hell"

Jody put us in a stand with senderos in three directions. Bobby sat to my left in the blind, and he had a long sendero out his left hand window. Both of us had the blind to the front, and the road we came in on, running out behind us.

We were covered in Whitetails from the start, and had jumped a sounder of pigs as we were driven in to the blind. It looked like Bobby would have a chance to punch his third tag, and I brought a rifle to back him up, or shoot as jackrabbit, depending.

The blind was one of the more elevated types, I'm guessing maybe 10 or 12 feet high. It gave good visibility, and was plenty large enough for two.

We watched deer until we bled from the eyes, and then finally, the feeder went off. I had been furiously busy trying to keep Bobby from fidgeting, but as the magic hour approached, it was getting worse. Suddenly, owing to his sharp eyes and ears, I suppose, Bobby gives the signal that we had pigs in the wire. (You know, put down the beer, pick up the rifle....)

Three pigs show up just to the left of the feeder, about 75 yards distant. We quickly whisper discussion about which pig Bobby will shot at, so I can help him cover it. Decision made and crosshairs settle. Bobby shoots, and the pig rears on it's hind legs and wheels. I break a shot, and I am sure the crosshairs are plastered on the pigs spine. In retrospect, I am still sure they were, because the rifle was zeroed about 1.5" high and so when we went to look for blood there was absolutely none. Not a speck, not a fleck. Bobby gave him a dose of sweet chin music, and I burnt one just over his back.

Sheet! Said we, and we hurried back to the blind.

"I thought you..." "I was sure..." Oh well, nevermind, that one is behind us.

Sure enough, the sounder that we originally jumped when we drove in to the blind, finally came in. Again the discussion started about which pig would be targeted, and when Bobby broke the shot, I was still trying to figure out, just which of the two bigger black pigs in the sounder he was talking about, so I did not fire. Pigs went in every direction. Unfortunately, all of the pigs in the sounder ran.I can understand why, since Bobby has the loudest rifle ever to be chambered in 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser. I wanted to run myself.

We gathered gloves, flashlights and cellphones and sallied forth, with hopes of better results since I was tiring of climbing the steps to the penthouse stand.

The first spot of blood we found was about the size of a clipped thumbnail, but it was pink and frothy, which was heartening, but still, I'd have been happier to see a bigger sample.

Shortly thereafter we found more blood which indicated he was headed into the soft, grassy meadows of Texas. Scratch that. He was headed into the Mesquite, cactus, prickly and moreover Snake infested thickets of Texas.

Now kids, I am scared of very little, but I am a complete chicken where serpents are concerned. I do my best not to leave a live one behind me. Funny thing, kindred spirits and all, my partner Bobby is a snake chicken too.

With daylight diminishing, we had little choice but to plunge in, snakes or no snakes. The sign was good, but it was a bear to follow, owing to the mesquite thicket. Under cactus, over fallen logs, around the thorn bushes....Darkness was soon upon us, and it became so thick that Bwana Rockchucker handed his rifle off to me and he drew his faithful sidearm, and put his fixed blade knife in his teeth as he crawled ever forward.

The brush pulled our hats off our heads, stretched my elastic band back on my headlamp and then suddenly let it go, snapping me on the handsome grape with utter ruthlessness. I peed a little.

If cactus needles and mesquite thorns were comanche arrows, Bobby would have looked like Custer at the Little Bighorn. His dogged determination to find his quarry, truly inspirational.

We tracked on, for what seemed like 3 football fields before Bobby finally said "There he is."

(Editorial note: The reader may note that the truth has been handled carelessly at certain points in this story, but be assured, the 300 yards is closer to the truth than not.)

After high fives and congratulations, we tied off tourniquets to the wounds we had which were bleeding the most. Then we contemplated the drag. By the grace of the Almighty, that rotten little porker had dropped dead within 10 yards of the sendero which had been right out the left hand window of our blind. we drug him out to the middle of the road and within minutes, just like the cavalry in a black and white western, Jody came driving up to get us. We gathered the rest of our gear from the blind, to include the remnants of our emergency hydration supply in the little cooler we carried with us, and headed in for the night.

Heck of a hunt. Hell of a track, and time well spent with a true Amigo.

Most excellent narration Joel.

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Thanks, Joe!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
great story smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am going to to have to make every effort to make the next gathering.

I Burn While I See
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
You really should. I know you have boys who are active in lots of different sports, and that makes it difficult. I'm empty nesting these days, so it is a bunch easier to manage.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I need some me time. lol

I Burn While I See
Page 82 of 122 1 2 80 81 82 83 84 121 122

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 1lessdog, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 1lesfox, 54 invisible), 2,642 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,565
Posts18,453,772
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.