Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Looking to purchase a new camo face mask. Recommendations?
TY

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
BP-B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
What temperatures are you hunting in?

P
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
PA in Oct. & Nov., warmth is not really an issue. Looking for best fit, comfort and functionality....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
That's about as personal as a pair of favorite boots.

I've started using these in Virginia, in warm spring and summer hunts, and down to just at freezing temps:

http://www.basspro.com/Under-Armour...hvarAID=shopping_googleproductextensions

They pack into nothing, I can pull it up over my ears and not lose hearing ability, and it breaths. I find that I can fog my optics if I have full face coverage, so I like these for the mesh.

I use the Scentblocker full face if it's cold and blowing.

Last edited by AH64guy; 12/27/16.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
FirstLite has several options, as does Sitka Gear, in their balaclavas, face masks, and neck gaiters.

Unlike UnderArmour, FirstLite and Sitka are actually pro-hunting.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
And I bought them off of E-bay at a much cheaper price, and I paid for them with Paypal...there, all sins confessed...

wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AH64guy
And I bought them off of E-bay at a much cheaper price, and I paid for them with Paypal...there, all sins confessed...

wink

LMAO!

No slight intended to you, buddy.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
As mentioned, it's a personal preference. I prefer 3/4 mask with a ball cap, can't stand full mask. I don't like the spandex type in warm weather, but use them when it gets cold. For warm weather I like the loose and lightweight mesh type, the kind that are made of a material similar to bug suits. Primos are my favorite to date and I've owned dozens of various makes. The only masks I've owned that actually fit and allow unobstructed view are the Primos.

Warm weather:
http://www.primos.com/products/maks/mesh-mask/

Cool weather:
http://www.primos.com/products/maks/stretch-fit-mask/

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I prefer the stetch fit masks for bowhunting, similar to the one linked to by Re7RM. Reason for me is that I still use a kisser button and the loose ones get 'caught' occasionally.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by 4ager
Originally Posted by AH64guy

wink

LMAO!

No slight intended to you, buddy.

I figured, but couldn't help poking a little humor at it!

Back on the OP subject, I really look for a mask that will leave my ears somewhat exposed, as I lose too much sound with the full ear covered.

The mask has to have an opening that I can position over my ear canal, or I won't use it more than once. I anchor on the corner of my mouth, so loose isn't bad, but too much can be.

Last edited by AH64guy; 12/28/16.
IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Camo Buff rules! I've got a First Lite and the Buff brand is better for me.

No seam, more length for use as a cap or balaclava, microfiber fabric works in all weather, dries very quickly, snug but comfortable fit for good anchor, never sags or stretches out. I've never tried the polar models.

http://www.planetbuff.com/shop-buff/collections/camuflaje-buff.html

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Grow a beard then your glasses don't fog up and you can spit tobacco without moving to much

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Regardless of what you go with, practice with it on before hunting. I'm in TX where we rarely need to dress all that warm. This past week temps dropped into the 20s so I switched to a thicker fleece mask and wore my jacket hood. Just on a whim I tried shooting with all that on in the driveway before heading out. The hood and thicker fleece mask impacted my anchor point and where my nose touches the string. Threw my shots wide about a foot to the right. Thought something was wrong with my rest or sight but took the hood and mask off and shots returned to the bullseye. Didn't think it would affect it that much but it did.

...on earth as it is in Texas.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Masks with a nose flap may impair seeing your sight pins. As suggested, practice with it on. Ask me how I know. Tom

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by TXbluelacy
Regardless of what you go with, practice with it on before hunting. I'm in TX where we rarely need to dress all that warm. This past week temps dropped into the 20s so I switched to a thicker fleece mask and wore my jacket hood. Just on a whim I tried shooting with all that on in the driveway before heading out. The hood and thicker fleece mask impacted my anchor point and where my nose touches the string. Threw my shots wide about a foot to the right. Thought something was wrong with my rest or sight but took the hood and mask off and shots returned to the bullseye. Didn't think it would affect it that much but it did.

Reminds me of the time my string caught a button on my jacket and the arrow went about 4' over the boars back lol. Learned to go with zippers only after that one.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
This stuff completely rewrites the rules:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010XW2KMU/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Short of needing one for warmth, I will never wear a facemask again. This stuff goes on easily and comes off easily, almost effortlessly. Before trying this I was a 1000% facepaint HATER and wore facemasks exclusively when bowhunting.

RLTW
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
This came up with a group of my Bowhunting buddies a few years ago, I have used cammo face paint since I started bow hunting at age 14 Im 59 now! I was the only one in our group and im the oldest and about the newest to the group! was getting some guff on the paint, till I pointed out the Best Of the Best the US Navy Seals wear face paint not some silly mask! enought said, most of the fellows wear paint now the new young kids that have started bowhunting now Love to wear the Face paint! Paint Rules!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
They used to make dust for face paint. Best I ever used.

Don't like masks at all for bowhunting.

Polar Buffs are what we wear in AK for fall Moose hunts down to about zero or so.

Bowhunting in cold I ended up wearing insulated radar type caps and would wrap my face in a heavy scarf of some type, fleece, wool etc... and it was pretty easy to just nudge the thing to drop down so I had an exposed face to draw and shoot with on the spur of the moment... The only way to feel a really perfect anchor point for me was with nothing on my face.

YMMV

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by greentimber
This stuff completely rewrites the rules:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010XW2KMU/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Short of needing one for warmth, I will never wear a facemask again. This stuff goes on easily and comes off easily, almost effortlessly. Before trying this I was a 1000% facepaint HATER and wore facemasks exclusively when bowhunting.

I've used Carbo Mask for the last four years. Love the stuff...

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
U
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
U
Never heard of the Buffs products, will have to check those out. Agree on the Carbo Mask, great product.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
730 members (02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 88 invisible), 2,728 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,928
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.