Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by battue
Ok, I chit under another's treestand. Didn't mean to, but it was about 30 minutes before daylight-that gray time-and the urge came on strong. Found a tree and did the deed. Pulling up I looked up, and there he was facing away. As far as I know, he didn't and I backed out, waiting for his wrath to come raining down. He never moved. Snuck off and tried not to laugh, but it was hard.

I don't care who you are...TFF! grin and well done on keeping the grunting to a minimum!

I have an uncle who did that. He dropped his drawers and started and he heard somebody clear his throat directly above him. He looked up and a guy in a treestand was looking directly down at him. He finished and not a word was spoken between them.

BP-B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by gophergunner
Originally Posted by kingston
Originally Posted by gophergunner
If I encounter no trespassing signs I respect them, no questions asked.

Unless it's bear season...
I've never hunted bear in Pa.

Me either. I always wear clothes.

Camp is where you make it.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by srwshooter

battue,are you sure this didn't happen in the mountains of va. in 1990? i knew it was a pa. guy that took that crap under my stand. i could tell by the smell.

Positive it wasn't me. When you're up against a tree you have to look and be sure of where it's going. Easy to hit your pants in that circumstance. There wasn't any hominy, grits or biscuit gravy in it, so for sure I was N of you. You know, "When in Rome, do...." and I always do my best to fit in.

Although I avoid the biscuit gravy. Lot of fat boys down that way and I suspect it is a significant contributor. Looks like you are big on the biscuit gravy.

Last edited by battue; 12/28/16.

laissez les bons temps rouler
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
All these stories aside, if you're not calling the warden and the sheriff and pressing charges to the extent that law allows, you're just as big of a part of the problem as the poachers.

An arse-chewing is to a poacher what buying the proper licenses and securing proper permission is to those who follow the law. It's just expected and part of the "cost" of "hunting". They'll act all apologetic and make every excuse in the book about how this is an honest mistake but in the grand scheme, even the most exasperated butt-chewing sans any official LEO involvement is essentially like a "Get out of Jail Free" card. They're laughing their arse off as soon as you're out of sight. However, involve LEO's and prosecute a few and the word will get out quick that you don't mess around and are best avoided.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by battue
Ok, I chit under another's treestand. Didn't mean to, but it was about 30 minutes before daylight-that gray time-and the urge came on strong. Found a tree and did the deed. Pulling up I looked up, and there he was facing away. As far as I know, he didn't and I backed out, waiting for his wrath to come raining down. He never moved. Snuck off and tried not to laugh, but it was hard.

I don't care who you are...TFF! grin and well done on keeping the grunting to a minimum!

If only obviously when it is right now urgent, grunting isn't part of the deal.

Have to admit when I found out the circumstance, at first, I didn't think it was all that funny. It was only when I was gone that I got the giggles.

Later hooked up with a Bud and told him the story and both of us were howling.

Addition: Thing I remember most about that morning was the big thunder booming and the Turkeys. They were sounding off all around. It really had them shook up. Other groups were clucking loud and making a racket. Pretty cool actually.

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The law only stops the ones that want to shoot any Deer.

When the pros want a big Buck it happens at night and in the wood. They have been dropped off. Head gets cut off, they make quick tracks thru the woods, make a cell phone call, or have a pic-up time and get picked up away from the scene.

Crossbow or compound, rifles make too much noise.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It not my impression there's much trophy poaching going on in the parts of PA that I hunt. Historically, there's been lots of meat poaching. The Amish and other ultra rural backwoods folk had been know to engage in a sort of subsistence hunting that was often complained about, but seldom enforced.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Agree, depending on where you live. The subsistence part was at one time big around where I came from and they largely ignored it when we had a large Deer herd. Now that the horns are getting much bigger, most don't look on it so kindly.

The Amish may get a pass, just a guess, because they own a lot of land and don't post. Believe me, if you own a BIG chunk of land and don't post it, you can do pretty much what you please and the GC doesn't get too froggy about it. They will huff and puff, but say you are going to post it and they will say please.

The big rack boys are a different league when it comes to poaching.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by moosemike
I have no problem with the southern people.I found them to be good, upstanding folks. I just know that you can move anywhere but that doesn't make you one of them. You are what you are and I'm a Pennsylvanian. Even if I don't take up for every PA hunter. All I said was we have a contingent of bad apples. Most PA hunters are the salt of the earth. And I wish you good health as well. I never wished you ill before and I don't quite know what happened yesterday.

Just to show I'm not the worlds biggest plick. Here is something to ask your Doc about.

http://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/articles/vitamin-d-heart-disease-heart-health

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Vitamin D eh? Thanks. I'll check into that.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This is more of a poaching incident than a trespass. About 5 years ago I took a nice 10 point(158) in early October muzzle loader season The next 2 weekends I was bow hunting with my recurve. Both weekends I had another 10 point, almost identical to the one I shot come under my stand 3 different times. The Sunday before opening rifle season I'm coming out the bedroom and passing the front door when I hear a rifle shot. It was dark and I could see headlight glow on the road down at the corner of my property. I step out on the porch and I see a pickup pulling off, diesel engine, marker lights on the top. It was a Ford as I am a Ford man. I get dressed, grab a flashlight and head down the hill. About halfway down I hear the truck coming back, see the roof marker lights and I know it's the same one. Run back to the house grab keys and take off in my '82 Ford PU. Hit the drive going down to the road, my lights are off. Turn right on the road and see the truck backed into my neighbors driveway, lights off. I stop 200 feet from it and angle the truck and hit him with my high beams. Can't tell if anyone is inside it. I sit there for a couple minutes then realize I have no firearm and I know he's packing. Finally he starts truck and comes my way. Passes me slowly and I yell at him, " F$#%ing poaching deer?" He speeds off, I grab the 3 on the tree, hit reverse, turn in the driveway and I'm in pursuit(still mindful of my lack of armament). He leaves me, then 2 miles up the road I see him up a drive sitting 200 yards on top of hill. I get the address, go home and call the game warden. We look for the deer, find blood but no deer. He investigates the house later and there's no one there with a truck like that living there. Later I tell a sheriff about the truck and he says, " Yeah, that's an old time poacher around here."
But since then I guess the word is out the crazy guy in the old Ford truck that will chase you and haven't had any poaching since.

We pray our sights be straight
and our aim be true
We pray for no pain
to the game we pursue
We thank you Lord
for this land
We thank you for the sights
from our stands
We pray for safety, one and all
We pray we may return next fall
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have been looking at property in W PA for the last several months. You guys are making me a we bit nervous.

“Lighten up Francis”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Which part?

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Don't be nervous. It goes on everywhere- not just PA.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Depending on where I wouldn't be too concerned. Times have and are changing. Post it up and you should have little problems. There will always be some. If as previously mentioned you catch someone, do what needs done.

It was better in the past-especially for the younger crowd-when you could go pretty much where you pleased, but I don't see it ever returning.

I have 56 acres and don't post it, but am completely surrounded by posted land. Don't hunt it all that often, but it is good ground and may eventually be my Alamo. Talked with one of the surrounding owners and we both agreed to let the other crossover.

What County?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I am looking around 80 and the Allegheny (spelling?) or down by Seven Springs area. I don't want to have to drive through Pittsburgh on a Friday afternoon on my way. I live in Columbus and want to be under 4 hours. A creek or small river navagable by canoe would be huge plus.

“Lighten up Francis”
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Hunted around the 7Springs area years ago and a lot of Deer then. Have one acquaintances who lives and hunts there and he usually does fine.

A lot of mountain country to roam, but he says when the snow piles up on the mountain, most of the Deer drop down into the lowland private farms.

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
690 members (160user, 12344mag, 12308300, 17CalFan, 16Racing, 1234, 65 invisible), 2,689 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,620
Posts18,398,530
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.