Hop To
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Not sure what forum to ask....

Anyone own one of these? Thoughts?

Why is it called a double u, should'nt it be called a double v?
GB1

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I have one, but have used it very little. The throat from the factory was extremely long, and I was unable to get groups that were acceptable to me. I have since had the barrel set back and the crown re-cut, but have not had the time to play at the range again. Mine is admittedly a sample of one.... ymmv.

Good luck,
David

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I shot the 5R years ago in H.P. comp. Was supposed to be the cat`s meow.. Barrel was made by Obermeyer, 26 inch long,SS, 1x10 twist, and fitted to my, 40-x. Put 10k rounds through it. I can`t say it got me more x`s than the original Rem. barrel.
What are you thinking is better about them?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think if you can find them for a good price, they are worth the bump in price over the standard blued steel heavy-barrel 700 .308 rifles. Some like the stocks, some do not. I am in the "do not" crowd. But they fetch about $225-250 online, which helps with the cost of an alternative stock. The only other possible downside is the typical mile-long Remington .308 throat, but most examples seem to shoot well in spite of it.

I bought a used 24" model last year, had it cut back to 22" and bead blasted dull, and put it in one of Mag-Pul's ugly 700 DBM stocks. I also swapped in an old-style SS trigger. It's not a picky rifle and it is easy to shoot. At the end of the day, it's an SS 700 with maybe better than average accuracy.

[Linked Image]

Only pic I have was when we popped a really big freezer-doe at the end of last season. This rifle likes 168gr Ballistic Tips and 155gr Scenars pretty well.

Now with even more aplomb
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I sure wouldn't pay a penny extra for the 5R land profile. I've known of the profile, but just learned today what 5R means.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by CGPAUL
I shot the 5R years ago in H.P. comp. Was supposed to be the cat`s meow.. Barrel was made by Obermeyer, 26 inch long,SS, 1x10 twist, and fitted to my, 40-x. Put 10k rounds through it. I can`t say it got me more x`s than the original Rem. barrel.
What are you thinking is better about them?

A couple of years ago I had a Rem 700 LTR that would stack bullets all day long. I got greedy and traded it away. I thought this might be a possible stainless replacement?

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I had a 24" it shot decent and was a nice rifle. I didn't care for the stock either and it went to a friend who liked it.

Here was a typical group with cheap factory ammo with one pulled.

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
My intention was to buy this and add a jewel trigger and bed it in a McMillan A-5.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CGPAUL
I shot the 5R years ago in H.P. comp. Was supposed to be the cat`s meow..
Barrel was made by Obermeyer,..

Mike Rock orig. supplied Remington with the 5r, before Remington started making their own version.
Rock, Krieger and Chanlan skilled themselves at Obermyer.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I`ve gone to PAC-NOR now for all my barrels. Have about ten in various cals. Both in CM and SS. Been very happy so far.
Again as far as the 5-R, think if the OP still had questions, I would suggest he look to the brnech rest crowd...bug holers, if they find that profile bennifical, try it.

IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Supertrucker
My intention was to buy this and add a jewel trigger and bed it in a McMillan A-5.

Why not get a 700 Varmint SF and do the same? The difference in the list prices would nearly cover the McMillan.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
I sure wouldn't pay a penny extra for the 5R land profile. I've known of the profile, but just learned today what 5R means.

I know this much, 5R Rock on my 308 is the most accurate 308 I've ever shot.

Not sure that it helped, it did not hurt.

I can also say that I"m convinced that odd number of lands/grooves helps with pressure issues. Which makes me lean that way especially for solid copper bullets

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had one of the 24" 5Rs in .308.

It was the most accurate, easy to load for factory rifle I've ever had. All I ever did to it was lighten the trigger and tighten the action bolts.

That being said, the ergos were terrible for me. I could never get comfortable with that stock in any position.

Unless you just love the stock, I'd not pay the premium they bring over the other heavy .308s. I listed mine for not much less than new price and sold it very quickly.

That rifle did have the longest throat I've ever had on a rifle.

Last edited by Holston; 12/14/16.
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought one a few years back and have had a lot of fun with it. It is without a doubt the most accurate factory rifle I have ever owned. I didn't like the way the stock fit me so I sold and replaced it. After that I replaced the trigger with a Jewel and put a Badger dropbox on it for some reason. The rifle is consistently accurate and a lot of fun to shot. I would recommend one.

[Linked Image]

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
The 5 R models have a throat that is a mile long, and the ones that I have worked with shot, not so good till they were rechambered with a reamer with .090 long, then they were tack drivers.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I have one in 300 Win mag and one in 26 Nosler. Both great shooters and clean easy.

Last edited by hanco; 12/26/16.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I have one in 308.

I feel that any quality ammo that I feed this rifle will at least shoot okay (1" at 100 yards). I own and have owned many rifles that will out shoot this one with their favorite load. But in my 5R, all the loads I have tried of at least average hunting grade shoot the same (about an inch at 100 yards). I value this rifle for its indifference to what it's being fed, not necessarily for the group size it turns in.

While I don't intend to start a urinary olympiad on the subject, I will say that my confidence in the factory trigger Remington provides is non-existent. My X-Mark Pro is in the landfill somewhere since I replaced it with a Timney.

I recommend the rifle highly. My buddy has one in 300 Win Mag and he has had success with it as well. Best of luck!!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

83 members (Akhutr, 10Glocks, batch, BB3, 10gaugemag, 14 invisible), 1,522 guests, and 861 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,224
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.